The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

Hey J.R., it is a pity that we do not all referee to the same rules. I have always refereed by FIBA rules, and contact during dead-ball periods could be intentional or disqualifying as the ball is not then being played. Thanks for the info.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 05:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by NICK
Hey J.R., it is a pity that we do not all referee to the same rules. I have always refereed by FIBA rules, and contact during dead-ball periods could be intentional or disqualifying as the ball is not then being played. Thanks for the info.
Sounds like the rules are fairly similar,Nick.Technical fouls here can also be classified as intentional or disqualifying,depending on the circumstances.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 07:59am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by NICK
Contact during a dead ball can be a technical foul.
...But, largely, ignored unless intentional or flagrant....

Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I ref some of my NFHS games with D-1, D-2, and D-3 refs. They're just people, not gods... the only difference is that they don't mind the nomadic lifestyle during the winter as much as some of the rest of us.
Z, I agree with nearly everything you've written in this thread. But I don't think the "only" difference between me and a D1 official is that he/she doesn't mind the travel. Most D1 officials get to that level b/c of exceptional ability (although there are exceptions, of course).

Your comment is kind of like saying that the only difference between Paul Pierce and a local Boston HS player is that Pierce is available to play 82 games a year.

chuck
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I ref some of my NFHS games with D-1, D-2, and D-3 refs. They're just people, not gods... the only difference is that they don't mind the nomadic lifestyle during the winter as much as some of the rest of us.
Z, I agree with nearly everything you've written in this thread. But I don't think the "only" difference between me and a D1 official is that he/she doesn't mind the travel. Most D1 officials get to that level b/c of exceptional ability (although there are exceptions, of course).

Your comment is kind of like saying that the only difference between Paul Pierce and a local Boston HS player is that Pierce is available to play 82 games a year.

chuck
Chuck,

How about if I say that it is OFTEN the only difference? This is based on my own experience. In our local association, all of our top few officials are quite capable of doing college ball. Most of us have been asked to do so many times. All of those who have made the sacrifice of the additional time required (not just being gone from family all season, but also the "right" camps and the volunteer summer tournaments) have "made it." Personally, being away from my boy so many evenings just for high school ball is a big enough sacrifice... sometimes too much. More power to those who are able to work it into their lives without a negative influence on family life.

Z
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Other methods

Ejection and Technical fouls are our biggest weapons. Sometimes we are reluctant to pull them out.

I didn't see the event but I do know there are other ways to take care of things besides giving a T-bone.

What was the response of the defender underneath the push-up dude? Maybe he was laughing. Was there an official close by? Perhaps he was talking with the players. Many things can be resolved and the taunting stopped without shooting a T.

Had a district game the other night. Kid came from behind on a breakaway lay-up made a terriffic block. The foul was called. He went to retreive the ball with the biggest sh!t eating grin... my comment to him was, "Man that was a great block. But don't smile too much your going to incite the other team to get you back. Just move on. It was a great block. Don't taunt the other players; just move on.

A T wasn't in order here .... yet... another couple of seconds of smiling and it could have been. Taunting ... confrontation.

Perhaps something similar occurred during the push-up game.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Feb 18th, 2003 at 02:37 PM]
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 01:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

DownTownTonyBrown,

See you got the point. You and I were not there. We do not know what happen afterwards or during, but what the replay showed. In the replay you did not see the reaction of all the players or the aftermath. And because we did not see this, I trust the judgement of the officials that actually officiated the game. I would feel the same if I was watching the game and saw everything live. I always trust the officials judgement on the floor first, then if I have any questions, I ask them personally. I do not know many that have asked them personally. They might have been just caught off guard by the situation and did not know what to do.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

response to bktballref on DJones

I think that Jones brings a particular type of fire to the team that is badly needed. I'm not happy, however, with some of what comes with that. Throwing the ball off the face of an opponent on several occasions when falling out of bounds, baiting other players, these are things that I can do without, and which for the most part, the program has done without over the years.

As for the comparisons to Wallace, I don't like them, because it's not fair to either player. I'm certainly not crazy about Rasheed's conduct as a professional, but it's totally different from the things that Dahntay has been criticized for. Further, I don't remember ever seeing anything objectionable in Rasheed's behavior under Coach Smith. The guys from Carolina whose on-court I remember taking issue with are McInnis, Ndiaye, and King Rice, although Jones doesn't exactly fit into any of those profiles either. I think Dahntay's a really good kid who simply needs to be a little more selective with his aggressiveness.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

I wasn't comparing the two players. I was simply comparing how Duke fans felt about Jones to how Carolina fans felt about Wallace.

Rasheed, too, brought a lot of fire to the program but he did some stupid things at inopportune times while in Chapel Hill. Now that he's no longer under the control of the "program," he's really made a name for himself.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

I've got a T on this one. This is pure streetball and doesn't belong in a game. It is crap like this that drags the game and sportsmanship into the gutter.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I guess you have seen it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
I've got a T on this one. This is pure streetball and doesn't belong in a game. It is crap like this that drags the game and sportsmanship into the gutter.
I have seen a lot of street ball, I have never seen this at one of those games.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Reminds me of Laettner

I guess we shouldn't be too amazed that Coach K lets this stuff happen. After all, Christian Laettner did put his foot on the chest of a Kentucky player that was down on the floor during a regional championship game. In that case I don't remember the refs calling anything either, but maybe my memory has just slipped some.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 03:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Drama?

Quote:
Originally posted by MN BB Ref
I guess we shouldn't be too amazed that Coach K lets this stuff happen. After all, Christian Laettner did put his foot on the chest of a Kentucky player that was down on the floor during a regional championship game. In that case I don't remember the refs calling anything either, but maybe my memory has just slipped some.

You are talking about things that happen almost 10 years apart. What does one have to do with the other in any way?

No, the refs did not call anything. I think they missed the actual act and saw the aftermath.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Drama?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
You are talking about things that happen almost 10 years apart. What does one have to do with the other in any way?

Peace
Duh...they are both deemed unsportsmanlike by about 99% of refs. :-)

Z
Old Sat Feb 22, 2003, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Hey Z, since it happened 10 years ago, Rut won't allow us to talk about it.

I guess he has a statute of limitations!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith