The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Push-ups (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7502-push-ups.html)

TriggerMN Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:55am

Today vs. Virginia, Dook's Dahntay Jones planted a Spalding Sandwich right in the grill of a Virginia defender, a monstrous dunk. The UVa fella was whistled for a foul, as well. Then Jones, to show just how great the dunk was, proceeded to do a few push ups in the lane.

My question for the senior mugs is this: Does anyone consider this unsportsmanlike conduct? Would anyone have dinged Jones? Obviously, this would have been dinged in a high school game by everyone here, (I hope...) but what makes it different in the NCAA in this situation?

BktBallRef Sun Feb 16, 2003 01:42am

Don't get me started on Mr. Jones. He constantly taunts opponents, engages in cheap shots (E.g., Josh Howard in the WF game on Thurs. night), and overall, has a hot dog approach to everything in the game. One day, he'll "firetruck" with the wrong Marine and it''l be sad.

Ding him? Damn straight!

canuckrefguy Sun Feb 16, 2003 01:44am

you ain't in the NBA yet, son....

W H A C K ! ! ! !

JRutledge Sun Feb 16, 2003 02:10am

You guys are so uptight.

Can someone have fun. I thought it was spontaneous and fun. Lighten up. This is afterall a game. If you found it objectionable, talk to the kid and move on. I for one have not seen this before and was kind of funny. Sometimes I think all we want to do is show our authority. :rolleyes:

Peace

Adam Sun Feb 16, 2003 02:28am

The biggest problem I had with it was the fact that Jones' legs were still on top of the defender when he was doing his pushups. So the pushups had the added effect of keeping the defender on the ground longer than necessary.
I'd have whacked him, but then again, I'm not doing college yet.

canuckrefguy Sun Feb 16, 2003 02:38am

Rut brings up a good point, but it's always a fine line between fun and provoking the opposition, which could lead who-knows-where. I'd rather snuff out one match than sift through the charred remains of someone's house.

Ah, the exuberance of youth...

Rich Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:59am

In the NBA, there would have been a technical.

I watched Miami/Dallas last night while eating dinner. First NBA game I saw in years -- the athleticism was amazing and the referees called two technicals in a few minutes.

It don't take much at that level. And the officials' heartbeat doesn't even quicken when they call one, either.

I saw the pushups live and I thought, "What a dunk." Then I thought, "Should be a technical."

And I don't call many, but that display was uncalled for.

Rich

refjef40 Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:47am

Just wondering if any D1 college officials are reading this thread and would "T" this kid.Also I'm shocked that a coach like "K" would allow this.I think Bobby Knight must be shaking his after his protege let this happen.

zebraman Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:55am

Re: You guys are so uptight.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Can someone have fun. I thought it was spontaneous and fun. Lighten up. This is afterall a game. If you found it objectionable, talk to the kid and move on. I for one have not seen this before and was kind of funny. Sometimes I think all we want to do is show our authority. :rolleyes:

Peace

Authority has nothing to do with it. It's about sportsmanship and game management. It's also about keeping control of the game so it doesn't get out of hand later. This could lead to additional taunting and a fight later. Whack. In addition, I've seen it before so I <i> highly</i> doubt that it was spontaneous.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Feb 16th, 2003 at 11:00 AM]

BktBallRef Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:15pm

Re: Re: You guys are so uptight.

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
Authority has nothing to do with it. It's about sportsmanship and game management. It's also about keeping control of the game so it doesn't get out of hand later. This could lead to additional taunting and a fight later. Whack. In addition, I've seen it before so I <i> highly</i> doubt that it was spontaneous.
It was about as spontaneous as pulling a pen out of your sock and autographing the ball after catching a TD pass! :D

Hey Z, I guess it's okay to block a shot and yell, "Get that **** outa here!" in Illinois as well. :(

dblref Sun Feb 16, 2003 03:35pm

Only Duke players can do this, nobody else -- it is the law in NC. :D

JRutledge Sun Feb 16, 2003 03:36pm

Take the stick out of your behind.

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman

Authority has nothing to do with it. It\'s about sportsmanship and game management. It\'s also about keeping control of the game so it doesn\'t get out of hand later. This could lead to additional taunting and a fight later. Whack. In addition, I\'ve seen it before so I <i> highly</i> doubt that it was spontaneous.

Z

Why couldn\'t it been spontaneous? We see kids chest bump, jump in teammates arms, do fancy high five routines and I do not see anyone crying for a T then. Why now and not the other things that take place? This kid made a great play and did something that was right after the action. He did get knocked down and if I am not mistaken he was on his belly and started doing push ups. I agree this is something you do not see everyday, but it is not like he went to center court and did the push ups. He did this in the place he was knocked down. I will agree that it was not the most sportsmanlike act, but we do not T every act that does not feel right. The best thing to do would have been to talk to the kid if you had a problem. Not unless you see this again would I consider this to be staged. But I have never seen this before, so to suggest that it could not have been spontaneous is ridiculous. Considering all the situations here, this was very spontaneous. I guess when a kid dunks and yells, you are T\'ing him up too? I hear them do this very often on TV and in HS games. I guess that just crosses the line too?

Peace

JRutledge Sun Feb 16, 2003 03:44pm

No one pulled anything out of their sock or pants.

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef

It was about as spontaneous as pulling a pen out of your sock and autographing the ball after catching a TD pass! :D

Hey Z, I guess it\'s okay to block a shot and yell, "Get that **** outa here!" in Illinois as well. :(

I am probably sure, these were individuals from your neck of the woods than mine. I do not know too many ACC guys that live in my state or region of the country. So someone that probably has more ties to your "way of thinking" choose to pass on this. I am sure they used common sense and took the appropriate action. But since you are Tony the Tiger, they were wrong. Why don\'t the rest of us just throw out our experience and bow down to your wonderful philosophy? We are obviously not worthy.

BTW, the "Get that sh!t outta here" comment, is so old, we were saying that back in the 70s. That is not a new things. But you like giving Ts, so whatelse should we expect from you?

Peace

BktBallRef Sun Feb 16, 2003 04:19pm

Quote:

I ...yahta, yahta, yahta,..... you?
I\'ll save you the worry and tell you that I\'m not even gonna reply to your stupidity. I could care less what you think.

JRutledge Sun Feb 16, 2003 04:22pm

Suuuurrreeee!!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

I ...yahta, yahta, yahta,..... you?
I\'ll save you the worry and tell you that I\'m not even gonna reply to your stupidity. I could care less what you think.

Well you replied, so you must care. That is the logic you always tell me and others.

Peace