The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

NCAA - Stop clock on OOB or not?

What is everyone's opinion on raising an arm to stop the clock on an OOB situation under NCAA regulations?
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

I prefer to just point at all levels of play, but my opinion doesnt matter.
As far as the proper mechanics/approved signals go NCAA-W are the only ones that dont have a stop clock on OOB.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 12:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Depends on the type of OOB play.

Bang-bang plays get whistle and point.

Player steps on the line I whistle, point to the spot of the violation, then point the direction.

Run of the mill OOB plays I give the raised opened hand with the whistle followed by the direction.

I forget which way the teams are going I go with whistle, opened hand, and just the color with no point.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I forget which way the teams are going I go with whistle, opened hand, and just the color with no point.
This one marks you as an experienced official: knowing when to work an advanced mechanic outside the book.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Depends on the type of OOB play.

Bang-bang plays get whistle and point.

Player steps on the line I whistle, point to the spot of the violation, then point the direction.

Run of the mill OOB plays I give the raised opened hand with the whistle followed by the direction.

Do you ever point?
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 01:31pm
Administrator

I am a bald old geezer who has been officiating (both high school and college) longer than a significant percentage of posters on this Board and I have always (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely) given the stop clock signal each and everytime when it is appropriate: foul, timeout, and violation. When an official fails to give the signal it gives the impression of being lazy. I remember hearing Edgar Cartotto many many times saying that his officials (when he was the Supervisor of Men's and Women's Officials for the NCAA Div. I Northeast Conf.) had better giving the stopped clock signal. The signal tells everybody involved that the clock must be stopped if running.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I am a bald old geezer who has been officiating (both high school and college) longer than a significant percentage of posters on this Board and I have always (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely) given the stop clock signal each and everytime when it is appropriate: foul, timeout, and violation. When an official fails to give the signal it gives the impression of being lazy. I remember hearing Edgar Cartotto many many times saying that his officials (when he was the Supervisor of Men's and Women's Officials for the NCAA Div. I Northeast Conf.) had better giving the stopped clock signal. The signal tells everybody involved that the clock must be stopped if running.

MTD, Sr.
Let's be honest though. I'm betting the overwhelming majority of timers aren't going off signal but rather hearing the whistle. And even know, at the high levels of college ball and at the pro level, they're using PTS so the clock is going to be stopping automatically 95 percent of the time.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 01:39pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
When an official fails to give the signal it gives the impression of being lazy.
I guess I'm lazy then.

Our local Instructional Chair kind of shrugs about this. He is more concerned with call accuracy and communication.

A shiny turd (I recently heard this myth was proven) is still a turd. A nice stopped clock signal on an inaccurately called play is still a bad call.

YMMV, but locally I...uh, I mean the Instructional Chair is concerned about getting more calls right.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 01:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Do you ever point?
Only if there is still confusion after my loud yelling of the color, but there never is.

I forgot one other scenario which I do feel I need to work on always providing an open hand, and that's plays where I ask for help. I seem to only do it 50% of the time. I need that to be 100%.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 01:56pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Only if there is still confusion after my loud yelling of the color, but there never is.

I forgot one other scenario which I do feel I need to work on always providing an open hand, and that's plays where I ask for help. I seem to only do it 50% of the time. I need that to be 100%.
BNR, you know me - I'm not really into details - but do you literally have an open hand with open fingers or a hand similar to a salute with the thumb tucked? Just curios...and bored.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
BNR, you know me - I'm not really into details - but do you literally have an open hand with open fingers or a hand similar to a salute with the thumb tucked? Just curios...and bored.
Actually my 4 fingers are together and my opposable digit is separate at about a 60 degree angle.

Don't ask why, it just what my hands naturally do.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Off-topic, but I hate it when officials have there hand up for subs or other delay but don't have their palm facing the official with whom they should be communicating. Especially when their entire body and open hand are facing the table.

I always put my hand up and forward of my body in the direction of the official who will be administrating the ball. If I have to talk to a coach or table personnel I turn my body or head but I keep my palm facing my partner.

Just my particular quirk/pet peeve.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jul 11, 2011 at 02:47pm.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:30pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Off-topic, but I hate it when officials have there hand up for subs or other delay but don't have their palm facing the official with whom they should be communicating. Especially when their entire body and open hand are facing the table.

I always put my hand up and forward of my body in the direction of the official who will be administrating the ball. If I have to talk to a coach or table personnel I turn my body or head by I keep my palm facing my partner.

Just my particular quirk/pet peeve.
Funny, if we had a nickel for every time I have told someone about this exact same thing we could go out for several drinks. The situation you described is one time I would have my fingers spread wide and, like you, forward of my body facing my partner. After all, he/she is the one I want to keep from putting the ball in play.

I also hate it when an official holds their hand up, before handing/bouncing the ball to a player. Something about it just doesn't look right to me and it seems like there are often delays which means that official is just standing there for an extended time with their hand up. bounce/hand the ball to the player, hand up, count in that order every time.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 03:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think younger and inexperienced officials need to "stop the clock" and veterans do not need to use it as much. That being said I am kind of indifferent about either way. I see the benefit for the stop clock, but I am OK if we never have to use it.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Dallas Shirley

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
MTD -

A Dallas Shirley reference !!!!! You have just moves to the top of my list

in the respect department. Dallas is one of the few officials in the the Hall of

Fame. I remember him at a George Tolliver camp back in 89 or 90. What

a great person.

As far as stopping the clock...... north of the Mason Dixon line it is pretty

much standard. Down in Dixie, all of the NBA wannabees will just point !!!!!