The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

NFHS: subvarsity game recently in a less then modern gym and the basket's net seemed to flop up on the rim 4 or 5 times in the first half. Each time we stopped the clock and and a kid would jump up to fix the net - always at the same end, but obviously not intentionaly.
At half time I initiated a dicusion with my partner as to how we would deal with this if it happened at the end of the game which was close.
How is this handled elsewhere? when under 5 seconds to play? do you allow subs with this stopage?

thanks
GTW

Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I never stop the clock to fix the net. If it's really a problem, tell the home coach to put a kid at that end and have him fix it every time the ball goes to the other end of the floor. Never stop the clock to fix the net.

And really, how many times have you ever seen a shot affected by the net being flipped up?

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

There is no rule justification to fix the net. Tell site managment to fix it by either using starch to stiffen it or cut a few loops off the end.

Mregor
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 09:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

The shot that is affected is the shot where.....

.....the ball rolls around the rim and hits the net that is flipped up over the rim.

I've rarely run into a whip net in prep ball, but I've seen it the last few weeks at the rec league I've been working.

I stop play and fix it. The clock (since we play a running clock) keeps running.

Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Jan 22nd, 2003 at 10:36 AM]
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Re: The shot that is affected is the shot where.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
.....the ball rolls around the rim and hits the next that is flipped up over the rim.
I know that's the scenario that is most "likely". But really, in all honesty, how many times have you seen it affect the shot? Me, I don't think I ever have in a game.

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Chuck,
That is sort of a catch 22 situation in a way. I have never had a shot affected during a game because of a net, because the net usually gets fixed. During practices etc. I have seen it affect the shot on several times. On the other hand one of the things that was fun growing up was to try and "hang the net" and then swish the next one through to untangle the net. Ok so I am easily amused.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Forget about whether the net causes a ball to bounce away at an inopportune moment. A hung net definitely impacts the view that a player has of the target by distorting their view of the rim and the basket - it clearly impacts the shot. When you are playing a fast paced game where shots are coming from anywhere on the ocurt, you need to be able to catch and see a clear target immediately. A hung net prevents this and may cause a miss.

The net should be fixed every time.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
A hung net definitely impacts the view that a player has of the target by distorting their view of the rim and the basket - it clearly impacts the shot. You need to be able to catch and see a clear target immediately. A hung net prevents this and may cause a miss.
Coach, I always appreciate your posts and your perspective from the bench. But I played competitively in high school and recreationally for many years after that, and I can honestly say that the net up or down NEVER affected my view of the basket. (No snide jokes about my height, JR ) I have never even heard that proposed as a reason to fix the net. I had shots bounce funny b/c of a hung net during practice (mostly b/c guys used to get a kick out of intentionally flipping the net up as tight as they could get it. Yes, we were also easily amused), but never in a game.

The clock should, IMHO, never be stopped to fix the net.

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I fix the net. Most places that I ref, do not have someone available to pull it down while we are on the other end.

It may not affect the shot but like Hawks Coach said, it affects the shooter. It also may be actually be stuck on the rim. Next shot may not be able to go through the net. I'd rather stop play and fix it, if I see it.

I would allow subs to come in but I don't think I would stop the clock with less than 5 seconds to answer your qestion Troward.

mj
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

SECTION 10 BASKET SIZE, MATERIAL
ART. 1 . . . Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.

A hung net does not meet the criteria of the above. FIX IT - by rule.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you're stretching the rule a little bit. But fine. I never said not to fix it. I only said don't stop the clock to fix it. Find a kid to throw a ball up through the basket while the teams are at the other end. Or have a kid with a broom poke at it. Whatever. Fix it, I have no problem with it. But do not, at any time, interrupt the game for something as minor as a hung net. You want to talk about "game interruptors"? Jeez! This is even lower on my priority list than 3-seconds

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SECTION 10 BASKET SIZE, MATERIAL
ART. 1 . . . Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.

Nope, not gonna do it. During the game, I don't stop the clock to fix the net. If someone wants to jump up and fix it fine, but I'm not stopping the clock to fix the net. If the net is getting hung, it's too long. Fix it at the half.

Mregor
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

And when it is the visitor's basket in the first half. . .

I guess we'll just let the home team have it right for their half. No advantage there.

How about a neutral court and it is only one basket. You are going to force one team to play with a bad net and allow a fix at halftime to allow the other team a clean target? Makes no sense to me.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Just want to add:

I agree with Chuck in the situation where the nets flip up repeatedly. I'll stop play the first time and fix it. On the second time I'll stop play, but make sure I have someone to fix it if it happens a third time.

I've heard that in the old days, this was a tactic teams would use to slow down teams that liked to run. Wonder if anyone still does this.

Rich
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Just want to add:

I agree with Chuck in the situation where the nets flip up repeatedly. I'll stop play the first time and fix it. On the second time I'll stop play, but make sure I have someone to fix it if it happens a third time.

I've heard that in the old days, this was a tactic teams would use to slow down teams that liked to run. Wonder if anyone still does this.

Rich
If your shooters are good enough to not only hit the jumper but to plan and succeed in hanging the net, I'd give them that advantage!