The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm a basketball guy, but I like to think that I know at least the rudiments of football rules. But I came across this today and couldn't believe it was true. It relates to the NFL, not college or FED, sorry. But NFL is the only football I watch. Here's what I found.

Quote:
[Regarding the] Troy Aikman-Joe Buck duo on FOX -- they seem to pay closer attention to the game than do most announcers. Aikman isn't snazzy, but he's rarely wrong. On Sunday, though, in the fourth quarter with Seattle holding a big lead, Aikman complained that the Hawks' runner messed up by nearly going out of bounds and stopping the clock. That would have been correct when Troy was playing. But the rule has been changed: now the clock only stops when a runner goes out of bounds in the final two minutes of the first half or final five minutes of the second half.
I've never noticed the clock continuing to run after the runner goes OOB, although I guess I don't really watch the clock that carefully. Is this really correct? Is it also true in NCAA and/or FED?

Just curious. Thanks for any help.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I'm a basketball guy, but I like to think that I know at least the rudiments of football rules. But I came across this today and couldn't believe it was true. It relates to the NFL, not college or FED, sorry. But NFL is the only football I watch. Here's what I found.

Quote:
[Regarding the] Troy Aikman-Joe Buck duo on FOX -- they seem to pay closer attention to the game than do most announcers. Aikman isn't snazzy, but he's rarely wrong. On Sunday, though, in the fourth quarter with Seattle holding a big lead, Aikman complained that the Hawks' runner messed up by nearly going out of bounds and stopping the clock. That would have been correct when Troy was playing. But the rule has been changed: now the clock only stops when a runner goes out of bounds in the final two minutes of the first half or final five minutes of the second half.
I've never noticed the clock continuing to run after the runner goes OOB, although I guess I don't really watch the clock that carefully. Is this really correct? Is it also true in NCAA and/or FED?

From the NFL rules digest: Timing

8. With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

With regards to Troy Aikman. My 2 year old has more rules knowledge than Aikman. There was an onside kick last week and he was going on about the kicking team could have picked up the kick off the bounce and ran for a TD. Anyone with a small amount of football knowledge knows the kicking team can't advance a kick. After listening to Aikman all year I'd put him just above Theisman for their lack of knowledge. I think all them concussions knocked any sense he had right out the door.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:32pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
There was an onside kick last week and he was going on about the kicking team could have picked up the kick off the bounce and ran for a TD. Anyone with a small amount of football knowledge knows the kicking team can't advance a kick.
Yep. In the Seattle game. I was watching it with all my officiating buddies, and we commented on that very thing. Sad thing is, many people think the announcers are the authority on the rules, and want us to apply them on Fri night.

Now I know I'll have an onside next year that the kicking team tries to advance, and our crew will get hell for blowing it dead.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:38pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by jack015
Quote:

Quote:

From the NFL rules digest: Timing

8. With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.
That is correct for NFL rules (only). I do believe that the clock stops when the player goes OOBs but it is then started on the ready.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:40pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
With regards to Troy Aikman. My 2 year old has more rules knowledge than Aikman. There was an onside kick last week and he was going on about the kicking team could have picked up the kick off the bounce and ran for a TD. Anyone with a small amount of football knowledge knows the kicking team can't advance a kick. After listening to Aikman all year I'd put him just above Theisman for their lack of knowledge. I think all them concussions knocked any sense he had right out the door.
I don't like many of the clueless announcers! I like Theisman over Aikman, only because Theisman can be funny at times. Aikman is never ever funny...
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
I don't like many of the clueless announcers! I like Theisman over Aikman, only because Theisman can be funny at times. Aikman is never ever funny...
I'm a lifelong Redskins fan, but Joe Theismann is near the top of my list of announcers that I dislike. Granted, the guy's got a Super Bowl ring and I've never even played in any organized fashion, but I find his analysis to generally be either banal or dead wrong. About the only guy I know that irritates me more is Tim McCarver.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

We all know this but name recognition is big in the world of sports broadcasting. Maybe we should start calling the announcers "whosiewhatsit" or "what's his name".

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I despise Theisman. He is the most ignorant out of all of them. He and Tim McCarver. Yuck!

I don't know if many of you saw it but a few weeks ago on Officials Review on the NFL Network, there was an intentional grounding call in a Dallas game, and I guess during the broacast Theisman was going nuts. Theisman said it shouldn't have been called because the receiver ran the wrong route. Mike Pereira responded, "Well, we actually know what the rule is...." Priceless!
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is correct for NFL rules (only). I do believe that the clock stops when the player goes OOBs but it is then started on the ready. [/B][/QUOTE]Thanks for the replies. Just so I understand correctly, the game clock actually does stop when the runner goes OOB, but then is restarted when the Referee signals the play clock to start, instead of being restarted at the snap. Is that right?
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
That is correct for NFL rules (only). I do believe that the clock stops when the player goes OOBs but it is then started on the ready.
Thanks for the replies. Just so I understand correctly, the game clock actually does stop when the runner goes OOB, but then is restarted when the Referee signals the play clock to start, instead of being restarted at the snap. Is that right? [/B][/QUOTE]

I believe the play clock actually begins when the ball becomes dead, just like when the ball becomes dead in the field of play the officials put a hand above their head and this signals for the play clock to begin. Once the ball is re-spotted the Referee will then wind the game clock. But, yes the clock does stop momentarily when the play is OOB's.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2006, 04:11pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by The Roamin' Umpire
Quote:
I'm a lifelong Redskins fan, but Joe Theismann is near the top of my list of announcers that I dislike. Granted, the guy's got a Super Bowl ring and I've never even played in any organized fashion, but I find his analysis to generally be either banal or dead wrong. About the only guy I know that irritates me more is Tim McCarver.
You know you maybe right. I think I like that crew on Sunday nights, maybe that makes him more acceptable to me? I hate Joe Buck and Aikman...
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

I think this should be clear:

When the runner goes out of bounds, the clock stops. The clock is restarted when the ball is spotted, except inside the 2 minute warning in the 2nd qtr or inside the last 5 minutes of the 4th qtr. In those cases, the clock starts on the snap.

The play clock (40-second clock) starts when the ball becomes dead.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dommer1
I think this should be clear:

When the runner goes out of bounds, the clock stops. The clock is restarted when the ball is spotted, except inside the 2 minute warning in the 2nd qtr or inside the last 5 minutes of the 4th qtr. In those cases, the clock starts on the snap.

The play clock (40-second clock) starts when the ball becomes dead.
Thanks!!
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 10:10am
I Bleed Crimson

Along these same lines, I've wondered about something. After a sack, the WH comes in stopping the clock. What is this mechanic for?