The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 05, 2011, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Camps in Full Swing ...............

With the camp season now in full swing, I thought it might be interesting if we discussed on the board about things we have learned at camp and whether you will incorporate them into your game. Also would like to know
what you thought of the camp and who at the camp you really took a liking (or disliking ) to.

Now is the time to learn learn learn or play the game !!!!!!

Good luck to everyone going to a camp.

And on day one if they ask why you are there, have some balls and tell them you are hoping to get picked up..........don't give the safe answer and say that you are there to get better !!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Shoot, my camp season is over. I attended 3. I'll work a few Pro-am games and a couple days of AAU from now through the end of July and then I'll be hanging up the stripes until October scrimmages.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2011, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I attended two camps last month and have a try out camp this weekend. I have one more that one of my JC assignors makes mandatory for her conference in Oct. until then I will keep my body fit and my mind in the manuals.

Phil
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Wink

2 camps down for me and one to go. I am attempting to go on the Women's side, and some things they have mentioned are getting to the "home" positions at all 3 areas when we begin officiating. Having the Lead official become more active on pressing situations and not running to the baseline.

Also Trail position being one "slot" over from the "slot" where the ball is being brought up, and not totally on the opposite side of the floor.

C needs to also be ready to help quicker when the ball comes to his side, even in one-on-one situations. The worst thing that can happen is for a single matchup to go unofficiated right on the C side just as it turns away from a trailing "T".

Hope this helps....

Headed to FL for the last of 3 camps. Attended one in Stillwater OK which was a great tune up, and one in DFW area. The DFW camp was athletically superior with the level of play, but the OK camp was better taught.

Sitting in the Houston airport about to board for FL. Will post feedback from that camp later...
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn View Post
2 camps down for me and one to go. I am attempting to go on the Women's side, and some things they have mentioned are getting to the "home" positions at all 3 areas when we begin officiating. Having the Lead official become more active on pressing situations and not running to the baseline.

Also Trail position being one "slot" over from the "slot" where the ball is being brought up, and not totally on the opposite side of the floor.

C needs to also be ready to help quicker when the ball comes to his side, even in one-on-one situations. The worst thing that can happen is for a single matchup to go unofficiated right on the C side just as it turns away from a trailing "T".

Hope this helps....

Headed to FL for the last of 3 camps. Attended one in Stillwater OK which was a great tune up, and one in DFW area. The DFW camp was athletically superior with the level of play, but the OK camp was better taught.

Sitting in the Houston airport about to board for FL. Will post feedback from that camp later...
Good luck and have a great trip...

Phil
Old Mon Jul 18, 2011, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

No update from the FL camp Hohn? was it that bad?
Old Mon Jul 18, 2011, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

If you go to a camp in April there may be more games then officials to cover
If you go to a camp in July there may be more officials than games to cover
Old Mon Jul 18, 2011, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Camp Experience

I went to camp last month in SC. It was an IAABO camp for HS 3-man mechanics. We had 11-13 games per person in 3 days plus one morning of work. Great camp, but my legs were dead the final day.

I learned that my 10 second count is way too fast when I go down the floor, I talk too much reporting to the table, and I am too close when calling from the C or T tableside. On a plus side, I was told I have strong mechanics, decent positioning on the floor and good hustle.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

That's way too many games to work in a camp setting McMac!!

3rd & final camp is complete, I think I'll grow a mustache
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I talked with the camp director and he agreed with that sentiment. He typically tries to have 8-10 games per person. But we had 3 officials go down with injuries and a couple of no shows.
Old Tue Jul 19, 2011, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post

3rd & final camp is complete, I think I'll grow a mustache
I agree. I only had 1 1/2 games this past week at a 2 day JUCO camp. But it was a great time and well worth it, even with so little games.

Last edited by NCHSAA; Tue Jul 19, 2011 at 05:47pm.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

i say this in jest but you guys must be old lol i worked a camp earlier this summer and ran 10 games in 2 days and learn tons from it i enjoyed the fast paced atmosphere
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

As a grizzled camp veteran, I would say the average at camps is around 3 or 4 games a day multiplied by how ever many days in the camp. I have done as many as 6 (this year) and as few as 1 1/2 a day.
I may be 'old' and 'broken down' but a lot of those little whipper snappers fell by the way side as the number of games increased!
You want to find a balance. It is difficult to judge an officials Fitness, Appearance, Decision Making and Professionalism when it is their 5+ game of the day in a hot gym. Now if it is their 3rd game it is IMO easier to extrapolate what their decision process is going to be like late in games.
Of course I have never worked a Final Four either LOL
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
As a grizzled camp veteran, I would say the average at camps is around 3 or 4 games a day multiplied by how ever many days in the camp. I have done as many as 6 (this year) and as few as 1 1/2 a day.
I may be 'old' and 'broken down' but a lot of those little whipper snappers fell by the way side as the number of games increased!
You want to find a balance. It is difficult to judge an officials Fitness, Appearance, Decision Making and Professionalism when it is their 5+ game of the day in a hot gym. Now if it is their 3rd game it is IMO easier to extrapolate what their decision process is going to be like late in games.
Of course I have never worked a Final Four either LOL
I agree. I am under 25 (to answer ontheway's post) , but find camp more enjoyable when I do not have to work 5+ games, and I can focus on what is being taught. I loved this past week only have 1 1/2 as I felt more focused, and it was more of a game setting, unless others out there officiate triple or quadrupole headers during the regular season.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2011, 10:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
i say this in jest but you guys must be old lol i worked a camp earlier this summer and ran 10 games in 2 days and learn tons from it i enjoyed the fast paced atmosphere
We can tell you are a whipper-snapper by your "tweeter" style of posting.

Old folks use puntuaction and the such.

Personally, after 3 full games of 20 minute halves with stop clocks played by 16 & 17 year-old college prospects, I'm drained for the day.