The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball Shoes

I'm looking for a good pair of officiating shoes. I'm not into all the fancy shiny leather. Any suggestions?
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 05:38pm
This IS My Social Life

Where to Go to Find Out What You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickman5 View Post
I'm looking for a good pair of officiating shoes. I'm not into all the fancy shiny leather. Any suggestions?
This is a frequent request on this discussion board. You're not likely to get too many responses, especially given the time of year, and also because this is a topic brought up by first-timers quite frequently. However, if you use the search function, type in "shoes" and select the basketball discussion board, you will be pleasantly surprised at the wealth of suggestions you'll find.
Welcome to the board! Hang around. Hope you find what you want.

P.S. Once you go to "fancy shiny leather" you'll never go back.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I've read these boards for a quite a while now and finally decided to register and start posting. Hopefully I can put in some info here and there.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Shoes are very much an individual choice, depending on gait, weight, stride type etc.

That said, my Nike Air Monarchs III have a lot of games on them and still feel great.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 07:46pm
This IS My Social Life

And My Winner Is . . .

Nike Zoom ordered a size-and-a-half too big in order to allow for two layers of Dr. Scholl's inserts, worn with double layer of socks. Light. Feels like I'm running on air.
As long as I'm in decent running shape my feet thrive in these things. If my feet hurt after doing a game it's my fault not the shoes.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Nike Zoom ordered a size-and-a-half too big in order to allow for two layers of Dr. Scholl's inserts, worn with double layer of socks. Light. Feels like I'm running on air.
As long as I'm in decent running shape my feet thrive in these things. If my feet hurt after doing a game it's my fault not the shoes.
Sounds like your ready for some 2-man games.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

I was kinda leaning towards getting some Nike Shoxs but I've heard they are uncomfortable on the court. Anyone experienced this?
Old Thu Jun 30, 2011, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's nothing "fancy" about patent leather shoes. They're no different than other shoes made by the same company. For example, Reebok makes the same shoe, one in basic leather and another is patent leather.

As for the shiny leather, don't knock it until you try it. They always have a shine and just need a quick wipe from time to time. I'm with Freddy. I've been doing this for over 20 years and wouldn't wear anything else at this point.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 09:00am
9 times

Quote:
P.S. Once you go to "fancy shiny leather" you'll never go back.
Not me. 17 seasons down and I'll never wear them.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 10:53am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
I was kinda leaning towards getting some Nike Shoxs but I've heard they are uncomfortable on the court. Anyone experienced this?
I'd check with your medical professional; however, mine told me they don't offer very good support.

I rolled my ankle pretty good two years ago. When I went to see him the first thing he asked was what shoes I was wearing. I told him Nike Shox and he said to junk them.

Your results may vary.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 12:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I rolled my ankle pretty good two years ago. When I went to see him the first thing he asked was what shoes I was wearing. I told him Nike Shox and he said to junk them.
I forwarded your post to Phil Knight. His staff of attorneys will be contacting your doctor presently. It's a good thing he isn't here in Oregon because it's a felony to speak bad of Nike.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 07:07pm
I miss being on the floor

I switched to Reebok shoes mid-season. I wanted a little higher top and the New Balances I had been wearing were just about finished anyway.

Very comfortable, not too heavy, good support.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 10:57pm
This IS My Social Life

The way I see it . . .

Я мечтаю встретить женщину, чтобы разделить с ней мою. Очень рад, что у тебя все хорошо.

Oh, sorry. I mistakedly responded to the wrong thread.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2011, 11:05am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Я мечтаю встретить женщину, чтобы разделить с ней мою. Очень рад, что у тебя все хорошо.

Oh, sorry. I mistakedly responded to the wrong thread.
I think that's a FEEBLE thread.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2011, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I wear Nike Shox and absolutely love them. I believe once you go to a running shoe as opposed to a court shoe you will never go back. I have worn, converse all star whistle patents, reebok patents (ref and breezy) and went to a running shoe (shox) 2 years ago and have been very happy.

I still have a pair of converse all star whistle patent leathers that are in great shape and bring them along as a back up or if my 2 partners are in patents, I will adjust so the crew looks the same.

Bye the way, I have heard great things about the Nike Air Max line of shoes as well, but haven't worn them myself.