The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Transition

I know there's no absolutes or always to what we do, but over the past 3 summers I've heard different opinions on slot to slot positioning in transition.

1. Trail the pack to have a mini T view (DI-M official I work HS games for)
2. Even with the pack to be on top of the play (HS decision makers)
3. Ahead of the pack to receive the play (NBA/DII-W supervisors)

Which do you use & why?
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Which do you use & why?
Approximately even with the second to last defender. OR, about 2/3 of the way back in the pack.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 01:03pm
Huck Finn

#2 for me but I think only #3 has a good chance of causing you to be in a bad position.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Approximately even with the second to last defender. OR, about 2/3 of the way back in the pack.
Bob, why do you trail the play, do you not think the T can referee 3 players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
#2 for me but I think only #3 has a good chance of causing you to be in a bad position.
I prefer 2 over 1 but why do say 3 would cause us to be in bad position?
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 01:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I know there's no absolutes or always to what we do, but over the past 3 summers I've heard different opinions on slot to slot positioning in transition.

1. Trail the pack to have a mini T view (DI-M official I work HS games for)
2. Even with the pack to be on top of the play (HS decision makers)
3. Ahead of the pack to receive the play (NBA/DII-W supervisors)

Which do you use & why?
I'm with #2.

I do hate when I'm watching games on TV and #1 is employed but instead of watching the pack the Center is looking back at the ball. See it a lot in Big 12 games.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jun 22, 2011 at 02:01pm.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

IKR! The new L is watching 7 players but the slot is gonna get that illegal dribble should the T miss it

At a camp I recently attended they showed us video of all 3. On film:

1. Looked slow & lazy, chasing the play down. No disrespect to anyone that practices that technique. Ideally, the T should be refereeing the one on one matchup through to the next layer.

2. Showed how clustered it can be for us & how things are missed as we are caught trying to see through players.

3. Not only showed hustle & athleticism but it follows the L principles of refereeing back, being in position to accept the play & there were more open looks through the pack.

I'm going to experiment with 2 & 3 to see which works best for me.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob, why do you trail the play, do you not think the T can referee 3 players?
Who said I trail the play? I wasn't talking about a double team in the BC and the rest of the players in the FC. I was talking about a "pack" of players moving down the court
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who said I trail the play? I wasn't talking about a double team in the BC and the rest of the players in the FC. I was talking about a "pack" of players moving down the court
Quote:
Does "back" not mean "trail" here?
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd interpret it means 6 players ahead of you and 4 behind you. It doesn't mention where the ball is. If there are 4 players in the backcourt, I'd expect that the ball was still there too and his position seems about right. However, if the ball was thrown down court on a quick outlet, I'd expect he'd get ahead of the "pack" to help cover the 2+2 attacking the basket. No one right position for every play.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let's start over. Describe the play. Where is the ball and where are the other players? I think we're envisioning different things.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 02:13pm
Huck Finn

Quote:

I prefer 2 over 1 but why do say 3 would cause us to be in bad position?
In transition, the C has responsibilities that make #3 a disadvantageous position. The L receives the play, the C stays with the pack and the T is trailing the play(ers). That is a desirable balance and makes the best use of six eyes. Personally, I would try to use #2 all the time, but I could be slightly behind the pack. I just don't see a situation where I would be in front of the pack.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I'd interpret it means 6 players ahead of you and 4 behind you.
That would be "trailing" the pack, no?

Quote:
It doesn't mention where the ball is. If there are 4 players in the backcourt, I'd expect that the ball was still there too and his position seems about right. However, if the ball was thrown down court on a quick outlet, I'd expect he'd get ahead of the "pack" to help cover the 2+2 attacking the basket..
Are you really Bobs attorney or do you just play one on the internet? j/k

Quote:
No one right position for every play.
Thats why I said from the jump:

Quote:
I know there's no absolutes or always to what we do...

Quote:
Let's start over. Describe the play. Where is the ball and where are the other players? I think we're envisioning different things.
Transition in general Bob, missed attempt & defensive rebound or a made basket. No press, one on one in the b/c... are you beating the pack, even with it or trailing the pack & why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I just don't see a situation where I would be in front of the pack.
You're already in position, not on the run or chasing & it provides more open looks than being even with pack.

Last edited by tref; Wed Jun 22, 2011 at 02:19pm.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 02:48pm
Huck Finn

I'm confused because you started out asking a question and have now taken a position, both on the court and in this discussion. You can do what is best for you, but I'm not going to make it a habit of beating the largest pack of players down the court.

It seems like your discussion at camp focused on how the official looked more than what position the officials were in. There are probably an infinite number of plays you can look at where each of the three are in position to see some of the plays, but at the same time are stacked on others.

Since I live in Vegas I will say the odds are the L has two players, the T has two players and the C has six. That being the case - without scientific evidence at all - do you think you are going to get stacked with those six? Not a trick question, looking for your opinion.

What if there is a block charge on the far sideline, at the division line, and the C was looking good and hustled down to the free throw line extended? Again, looking for your opinion.

As a basketball official, hustle mean nothing to me. Getting into the best position to make accurate calls means everything. That means sometimes we will walk, sometimes we will sprint and sometimes we will stand still. Think about it, an evaluator can tell you that you ran yourself into a bad (stacked) position when you are hustling, but not when you are in the best position.

YMMV
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I hear you tomegun. I'm not here to "tell" anybody what they should do, just discussion.
We discuss rules, plays & management of the game often. Rarely do we discuss positioning & more importantly "why" we do what we do.

Difference of opinions on how to work the slot has confused me over the last couple years. So I thought I would see how differently forum members worked the position. Nothing more, nothing less.

Can the slot who has 6 players in transition ever be stacked? Sometimes.

Block/charge at the division line far side... what is T looking at? And the slot should be open & available to assist if need be. A T&T perhaps but we all know how to close on those must haves.

Last edited by tref; Wed Jun 22, 2011 at 03:11pm.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 03:36pm
Huck Finn

T is looking at the offensive player's backside - stacked most of the time.