Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Question

I have now asked 3 Veteran officials this question and each one tells me
that A1 (who is throwing the ball) violates during an alternating possesstion throw in. B1 gets the ball but keeps the arrow. I even asked my BIG brother this question and he too insists this is true.
On page 47 of the case book. I read it to say B gets the ball and gets the arrow! No one seems to believe me.
ok Am i CRAZY or is this a rule change or what- Please help this Rookie

Stew in VA
CVBOA
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
I have now asked 3 Veteran officials this question and each one tells me that A1 (who is throwing the ball) violates during an alternating possesstion throw in. B1 gets the ball but keeps the arrow. I even asked my BIG brother this question and he too insists this is true.
On page 47 of the case book. I read it to say B gets the ball and gets the arrow! No one seems to believe me.
ok Am i CRAZY or is this a rule change or what- Please help this Rookie
If the violation is a throw-in violation, then A loses the arrow. If there is a foul or any other violation (is there any other violation that can happen?), then A keeps the arrow.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

NF 6-3-4
The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an alternating-possession throw-in ends. An alternating-possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends or when the throw-in team violates.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
NF 6-3-4
The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an alternating-possession throw-in ends. An alternating-possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends or when the throw-in team violates.
Thanks- looks like I'm not crazy. IS this a call that is overlooked? or sends coaches up the wall- or Have I just run across the Ref's who need a little rule reading
Stew
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks- looks like I'm not crazy. IS this a call that is overlooked? or sends coaches up the wall- or Have I just run across the Ref's who need a little rule reading
Present company excluded, meaning those coaches who post here, most coaches don't know the rule either.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stewcall
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
NF 6-3-4
Ok so what is the best way to tell my 16 years of experience Big Brother who flat out told me I was wrong on this. Site the rule and move on/ drop it. I already emailed the rules interpreter about the situation and the "wrong advise" I got on the rules. I used no names.

Stew in Va
VCBOA
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Ok so what is the best way to tell my 16 years of experience Big Brother who flat out told me I was wrong on this. Site the rule and move on/ drop it. I already emailed the rules interpreter about the situation and the "wrong advise" I got on the rules. I used no names.

Stew in Va
VCBOA
Well, speaking as a big brother I would say you need to buy your big brother the most expensive meal you can get at the finest restauraunt in your area and apologize to him for misunderstanding what he's been telling you all along!

And offer to wash his car too!
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Stew in Va
VCBOA
Well, speaking as a big brother I would say you need to buy your big brother the most expensive meal you can get at the finest restauraunt in your area and apologize to him for misunderstanding what he's been telling you all along!

And offer to wash his car too!
My family already think I suck up now/ wait till the wife gets the $200 credit card bill She already is planning on coming to the annual banquet in March. YEah she is thrilled about that
Stew in Va
CVBOA