The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 26, 2003, 02:01am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Is anyone from this board attending the above camp? If so let me know, I'll be there and it would be nice to put some faces with names.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Is anyone from this board attending the above camp? If so let me know, I'll be there and it would be nice to put some faces with names.
I just registered this weekend...

My two sense!
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question Coast to Coast

Where can I get information about the camp?
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Coast to Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Where can I get information about the camp?
http://www.refereeschool.com/

My two sense!
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Does registration cost cover the hotel cost or is that extra?
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 06:09pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Registration just covers camp costs, they have a deal with the local hotel fo a double suite for $60 a night and they pair you up with another camper unless you request a room to yourself. Airfare is also additional.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2003, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Seriously, though, is it worth the money? At what point does the local association camp cease to be adequate? I don't mind spending the money if I get enough out of it, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. Any suggestions how to decide?
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Seriously, though, is it worth the money? At what point does the local association camp cease to be adequate? I don't mind spending the money if I get enough out of it, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. Any suggestions how to decide?
My opinion, it is the best training out there. This is where the professional officials get looked at and picked up and you have the best of the best watching and training you. My thoughts are, where do you want to go with your officiating. If you want to be a professional (NBA, WNBA, OR NBDL), then I would look at going. I would also talk to someone that has been there or has enough experience to know whether it would do you any good. I think one should attend a D1 camp first.

My two sense!
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
My opinion, it is the best training out there. This is where the professional officials get looked at and picked up and you have the best of the best watching and training you. My thoughts are, where do you want to go with your officiating. If you want to be a professional (NBA, WNBA, OR NBDL), then I would look at going. I would also talk to someone that has been there or has enough experience to know whether it would do you any good. I think one should attend a D1 camp first.
Thanks, Hodges, I appreciate the advice. It sounds like you got it just about right. I don't think I'm ready yet, although I definitely intend to get there! I wish the advertising didn't say, for the beginner up to the professional. Going to a camp like that too early can be a detriment sometimes, can't it?
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, Hodges, I appreciate the advice. It sounds like you got it just about right. I don't think I'm ready yet, although I definitely intend to get there! I wish the advertising didn't say, for the beginner up to the professional. Going to a camp like that too early can be a detriment sometimes, can't it?
I haven't been to coast2coast but I'll offer this: it looks like a teaching camp, as opposed to an exposure camp, and it's certainly not a by-invitation-only camp. If you go let them know up front that you are going there to learn and you will probably be treated well. If you do have pro aspirations then getting to know these people will be good for you in the long run. BTW, I think Chuck went to coast2coast last year in Florida.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
BTW, I think Chuck went to coast2coast last year in Florida.
Nope, but planning on it this year.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 28, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anytime

My two sense!
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
C2C

Hey everyone

First of all I wanted to mention a couple things reguarding the coast to coast camp. First of all it is the best, by far, camp that you will ever attend. The training is for all levels and Ronnie G. will talk about that at the very beginning. Second this is NOT a hiring camp by the NBA. This will be hashed and rehashed by every single official. Ed Rush usually does make an appearance. The reason that I say it is such a good camp comes because of the training off of the court. Ron will use NBA video and go over many plays that officials at all levels just don't seem to get right. One particular thing that has helped me this year that I learned there was clock awareness. You will be video taped for every game and you will then review the game with an NBA official. You have to have thick skin first of all, not because they are berating, by any means, because some fallicies and tendencies that we seem to get into for whatever reason will be brought up.
I would reccomend this camp to anyone seriously wanting to move up at ANY level.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
rain,
c2c emphasizes becoming a better official. no matter what your goals are immediate or future. they want you to become the best official you can be. is there exposure to the nba,nbdl, wnba, yes. and many people go as a try out for the program. if you are interested in becoming a better official then attend the camp if it is within your budget. the instructors are genuine and really have a one on one approach with every one there. they are there for us, the students. take care.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
Quote:
rain,
c2c emphasizes becoming a better official. no matter what your goals are immediate or future. they want you to become the best official you can be. is there exposure to the nba,nbdl, wnba, yes. and many people go as a try out for the program. if you are interested in becoming a better official then attend the camp if it is within your budget. the instructors are genuine and really have a one on one approach with every one there. they are there for us, the students. take care.
Crew -- thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna pass this year, but I definitely plan to attend next year or the year after. There are some good local camps here that are less expensive, and to all appearances will be just as helpful for me.