Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Seriously, though, is it worth the money? At what point does the local association camp cease to be adequate? I don't mind spending the money if I get enough out of it, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. Any suggestions how to decide?
My opinion, it is the best training out there. This is where the professional officials get looked at and picked up and you have the best of the best watching and training you. My thoughts are, where do you want to go with your officiating. If you want to be a professional (NBA, WNBA, OR NBDL), then I would look at going. I would also talk to someone that has been there or has enough experience to know whether it would do you any good. I think one should attend a D1 camp first.
Thanks, Hodges, I appreciate the advice. It sounds like you got it just about right. I don't think I'm ready yet, although I definitely intend to get there! I wish the advertising didn't say, for the beginner up to the professional. Going to a camp like that too early can be a detriment sometimes, can't it?
I haven't been to coast2coast but I'll offer this: it looks like a teaching camp, as opposed to an exposure camp, and it's certainly not a by-invitation-only camp. If you go let them know up front that you are going there to learn and you will probably be treated well. If you do have pro aspirations then getting to know these people will be good for you in the long run. BTW, I think Chuck went to coast2coast last year in Florida.