The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt Violation NBA

Does the NBA have a different definition of front court status than FED?

Or was the halfcourt shot by the Heat a backcourt violation since his front court was touching the division line and his other foot was in the backcourt when he received a pass from someone in the front court?
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

They just missed the play. It should have been a backcourt violation. The midcourt line is considered part of the backcourt just like NF and NCAA.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

I heard some babbeling about this form VG but didn't see the play. I'm glad you posted this because I am curious what really happened.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonref View Post
I heard some babbeling about this form VG but didn't see the play. I'm glad you posted this because I am curious what really happened.
With about 3 or so seconds left, a Miami Heat player dribbled the ball across midcourt (ball and player achieved frontcourt status). Said player then stops and passes the ball to a teammate who catches the ball with his foot on the midcourt line. What was funny was at the beginning of the second quarter, they were praising the no call because his foot was on the line. Never heard announcers claim the line as part of the frontcourt...otherwise, they wouldn't chime for a backcourt violation whenever a dribbler in the frontcourt stepped on the line. Around the beginning of the 4th quarter, they finally got the correct interpretation.

Dan Crawford was the slot on the play and in the best position to see it, but passed on the play. It should have been a backcourt violation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Last edited by APG; Mon Jun 06, 2011 at 06:08pm.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the explanation.
Old Sat Jun 11, 2011, 10:37pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Also, if I recall NBA rules correctly, a team cannot inbound the ball into the backcourt on a throw-in except in the final two minutes of regulation time (and possibly any overtime period).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Jun 11, 2011, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Also, if I recall NBA rules correctly, a team cannot inbound the ball into the backcourt on a throw-in except in the final two minutes of regulation time (and possibly any overtime period).
Correct...final two minutes of the 4th or any overtime periods.

Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

if this was in the first quarter of the game i can see an NBA ref passing on it. I guarantee had this been 4th Quarter he wouldnt have passed on it
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 10:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
if this was in the first quarter of the game i can see an NBA ref passing on it. I guarantee had this been 4th Quarter he wouldnt have passed on it
No way they'd "pass" on it, first quarter plays are just as dissected as fourth quarter plays.

Miss it? Sure, we all miss stuff. Pass on it? Doubt it.
Old Tue Jun 21, 2011, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Your line of thinking is not in line with any officiating philosophy at any level of play...the NBA wants its officials to get the play right period. I think it's safe to say that Dan Crawford was not happy with this no call incorrect in the first...or if it would have happened at any portion of the game.

Old Thu Jun 23, 2011, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Your line of thinking is not in line with any officiating philosophy at any level of play...the NBA wants its officials to get the play right period. I think it's safe to say that Dan Crawford was not happy with this no call incorrect in the first...or if it would have happened at any portion of the game.
so when a NBA REF of 25 years tells me when theres 20 sec left in a game with a 20 point margin to pass on a 3 second call that his line of thinking is not in line with any officiating philosophy at any level of play?

you cannot be serious
Old Thu Jun 23, 2011, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so when a NBA REF of 25 years tells me when theres 20 sec left in a game with a 20 point margin to pass on a 3 second call that his line of thinking is not in line with any officiating philosophy at any level of play?

you cannot be serious
Now you're just changing up the play and the situation...and you're not even following you're own line of thinking. Your statement implied that an NBA official would pass on a clear and obvious violation in the first...but not later on in the game yet your situation is advocating ignoring an (unrealistic) violation in the fourth quarter of a blowout.

Last edited by APG; Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 09:50am. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old Thu Jun 23, 2011, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

ok my bad! lol i need to get on here earlier in the day so my heads on straight. look im relatively new so im learning just get a little jumpy when you insult my intelligence dang you were a newbie at some point
Old Thu Jun 23, 2011, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ok my bad! lol i need to get on here earlier in the day so my heads on straight. look im relatively new so im learning just get a little jumpy when you insult my intelligence dang you were a newbie at some point
If you thought I was insulting you, then I apologize as it was not my intent.

For the record, I do think that most officials at all levels of play would use discretion in calling a 3 second violation in a 20 point blowout with 20 seconds left.

Old Thu Jun 23, 2011, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

thank you and im sorry for jumping the gun