The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

High School and College. I have seen this situation once in high and once in a collage game both called diffrent.
Firts half Team A has the ball and just crosses half court when Coach of Team B calls a time out. The official blows the whistle and stops play. In the high school game they just said the official blew the call and gave the ball back to Team A. In the collage game last night after the same play the officails go to the arrow. So what is the official ruling on this type of situation??
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS-Charge and use it

NCAA-Not used resume from POI
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoke
High School and College. I have seen this situation once in high and once in a collage game both called diffrent.
Firts half Team A has the ball and just crosses half court when Coach of Team B calls a time out. The official blows the whistle and stops play. In the high school game they just said the official blew the call and gave the ball back to Team A. In the collage game last night after the same play the officails go to the arrow. So what is the official ruling on this type of situation??
I'm guessing -- and it's only a guess -- that if the officials in the college game went to the AP arrow, it's because they determined that the attempt to call the TO took place with neither team in control of the ball. (HMM I wonder if it could be that the TV announcers said they went to the AP arrrow b/c the announcers assumed that was what would happen with an inadvertant whistle, when the refs actually gave the ball to the team that was already in possession? . . . No, that would never happen, the announcers are much more careful than that . . .)
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had the same situation in a girls rec game. Here's what happened:

Team A up by 4, Team B just scored with about 30 secs left. Team B then requested a time-out after Team A had the ball and was ready to in-bound. Team B kept calling time-out, even after I said they were unable to have one since they did not have team control. Coach kept yelling he wanted a time-out, so I called a technical foul (his conduct was fine) and granted him the time-out. I was confused by this situation. When I got home and looked it up in the books, there was nothing there in the rule-book or case-book about what to do when the defense calls a time-out. The only spot I saw it was in the official's manual, and it said on p. 43 "If a player or head coach requests a timeout while the ball is live, ignore it if the ball is in control of the opponent, not in control of the opponent or not in control of either team"..." Then it says "the opponent may not be granted a time-out once the throw-in begins or after the ball is at the disposal of the thrower, or after it is at the free-thrower's disposal"..

Any thoughts/comments about what I did, or how to handle this situation?

Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JosephG678
I had the same situation in a girls rec game. Here's what happened:

Team A up by 4, Team B just scored with about 30 secs left. Team B then requested a time-out after Team A had the ball and was ready to in-bound. Team B kept calling time-out, even after I said they were unable to have one since they did not have team control. Coach kept yelling he wanted a time-out, so I called a technical foul (his conduct was fine) and granted him the time-out. I was confused by this situation. When I got home and looked it up in the books, there was nothing there in the rule-book or case-book about what to do when the defense calls a time-out. The only spot I saw it was in the official's manual, and it said on p. 43 "If a player or head coach requests a timeout while the ball is live, ignore it if the ball is in control of the opponent, not in control of the opponent or not in control of either team"..." Then it says "the opponent may not be granted a time-out once the throw-in begins or after the ball is at the disposal of the thrower, or after it is at the free-thrower's disposal"..

Any thoughts/comments about what I did, or how to handle this situation?

I don't think there is any basis for a T unless you determine there is sufficient unsporting behavior that it is interfering with the ability of the other teamto put theball in play. He can't have a TO, no matter how much he wants it -- seems to me that is pretty clear in the manual sections you cite.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

No both games I was there in person. In the college game Team A was dribbling the ball when the official blew his whistle for the time out. The only way I knew they went to arrow was because Team B won the tip and then later in the first half, there was a jump ball(the firstjump) and they gave the ball to Team B.