View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 24, 2003, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I had the same situation in a girls rec game. Here's what happened:

Team A up by 4, Team B just scored with about 30 secs left. Team B then requested a time-out after Team A had the ball and was ready to in-bound. Team B kept calling time-out, even after I said they were unable to have one since they did not have team control. Coach kept yelling he wanted a time-out, so I called a technical foul (his conduct was fine) and granted him the time-out. I was confused by this situation. When I got home and looked it up in the books, there was nothing there in the rule-book or case-book about what to do when the defense calls a time-out. The only spot I saw it was in the official's manual, and it said on p. 43 "If a player or head coach requests a timeout while the ball is live, ignore it if the ball is in control of the opponent, not in control of the opponent or not in control of either team"..." Then it says "the opponent may not be granted a time-out once the throw-in begins or after the ball is at the disposal of the thrower, or after it is at the free-thrower's disposal"..

Any thoughts/comments about what I did, or how to handle this situation?