Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Personally,I agree with Chuck.
No wonder it's so frickin' cold lately. Even Hell's frozen over!!
Whoa there,BoSoxBoy! It's very,very seldom that I don't agree with you on a rule,interpretation or application.It's the other things that we don't agree on-like your baseball team.Granted,I do have to say it is also kinda fun just to dump on ya for no particular reason.Fun for me,anyway.
And for the rest of us readers also!!!
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Are You Kidding?

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
Blow your whistle...give the kids a break and fix the net....and resume play. No subs in the last minute (NCAA) as this is not a timer's error ar an inadvertent whistle.
NCAA, take another look at 3-4.6 in this years' rule book - timer's error or IW are the only reasons for which you would not let in a sub on a whistle in the last minute. If you choose to stop the game and fix the net, you would let subs in.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

I don't stop the clock to fix the net. I don't have to. I have a partner that always does it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

Whew! Finally got through reading all the posts concerning this seemingly small item.
Wow! I guess I'm going to have to include this in my pre-game from now on.

Actually, I was in a gym a few weeks ago watching the JV boys, before my Varsity game, and I noticed the net on one end of the gym kept getting hung up. I told my partner this might be a problem in our game...it was...twice.

The Coach for the Home team even mentioned it during our introductions...alerting us about this "cheap" net. He seemed legitimately embarrassed about it. The Coach said he just put these up, and was having some problems with them getting "hung up". I was the Referee and told him we "had noticed it". I don't remember telling him what we would do about it...but just acknowledged that indeed the nets were hanging up.

I didn't really think it was that big of a deal either way actually. If the net gets hung up and I notice it before the other team gets possession I usually blow my whistle and fix the darn thing. If I happen to miss it and we are again back at this basket...well, we just play on untill someone makes a basket and it fixes itself, or fix it at a dead ball period.

I don't really like the idea of people running around on the court that aren't playing, fixing things...I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Dude
Old Thu Jan 23, 2003, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Here is a thought. (i've stayed out of this one for way too long) We are on the court fifteen minute prior to the contest (supposedly) observing players. When the players are shooting around in warmups it should take all of two minutes (that leaves you 13 for administration duties) to notice one or both nets are getting hung up. Solution: a pair of scissors (I have yet to see a medkit w/out one) and about three snips of the bottom knots on the back end of the net. Problem solved before the game even starts. With this action taking you (or hopefully site mgmnt)about 2-3 minutes we still have ten to observe the players have capn's meeting etc. I have done this twice in the last two years and it has worked wonders. Good preventative off. in my book.