The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 11:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

The tactic I was referring to was to put longer, "whippier" nets on the courts so that shots that went through cleanly were more likely to flip the nets.

Maybe it's all in my imagination, though

Rich
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
And when it is the visitor's basket in the first half. . .

I guess we'll just let the home team have it right for their half. No advantage there.

How about a neutral court and it is only one basket. You are going to force one team to play with a bad net and allow a fix at halftime to allow the other team a clean target? Makes no sense to me.
Let's put the shoe on the other foot coach. How are you going to react to this? Your opponent scores and hangs the net. Your player being properly coached grabs the ball right away and makes a long pass down the court. Do you want me to blow the whistle now? Or should I just wait until the team that has the hung net has the ball? Heck, I might forget by then. Or what if they steal your long pass and have a layup at the hung net. Do I blow it now? My solution is to not blow it for a hung net. That way I can piss everyone off and noone can accuse me of favoring the other.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
And when it is the visitor's basket in the first half. . .

I guess we'll just let the home team have it right for their half. No advantage there.

How about a neutral court and it is only one basket. You are going to force one team to play with a bad net and allow a fix at halftime to allow the other team a clean target? Makes no sense to me.
I disagree that it's a disadvantage at all. But for the sake of argument, I'll stipulate that there's a disadvantage to a "snagged" net.

Have somebody fix it while play continues at the other end. Are you opposed to this solution for some reason? What if the net gets caught after every basket? Would you have the official stop the clock every time? That would be ridiculous.

Just have home management provide somebody to get the net down when it sticks. Is there something wrong with that solution?

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach: I usually find your insight and commentary informative and accurate but here you must be just having a bad day (brain cramps maybe). The associations I work for make it a point not to fix a hung net until an appropriate opportunity to do so (time out, quarter ending, ball out of bounds at that end, etc.). We don't stop the game to do it.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

OK,

I have never seen a situation where the net was not "de-snagged". While your local group has a position fine but it is certainly strange to see these posts.

EVERY game I have EVER worked if a net was hung up it was handled one of two ways:

1) When the ball went the opposite direction a "ball boy" would try quickly to disengage the net (usually with a second ball). This is bad because if the ball is quickly reversed a non-participant might get caught into the play.

2) When the clock "stopped" the next time we would "unflip" the net. If play came to the "flipped" end and there had not been a chance to do either the "ball boy" fix or the dead ball fix . . . we ALWAYS stop the clock and correct the error.

I am surprised that any of you do not, under any circumstances, stop the clock to fix this issue.

A quick comment to Frony:

I was more used to seeing coaches use nets that were "tight" at the bottom that slowed "considerably" a made goal so that their defense could get back into position.

I just don't remember EVER seeing a flip net used on purpose.

See ya on TV soon.

Tee
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

THAT'S it, Tee. I knew it was something like that.

If you count public access TV, I may already be there since a lot of the local towns show the varsity games.

You probably don't get those channels in Oregon, though.

Rich
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: OK,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
I was more used to seeing coaches use nets that were "tight" at the bottom that slowed "considerably" a made goal so that their defense could get back into position.

I just don't remember EVER seeing a flip net used on purpose.
I agree, Tim. This is (or at least, used to be) the more common tactic. I'm still not stopping the clock, tho

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
Hawks Coach: I usually find your insight and commentary informative and accurate but here you must be just having a bad day (brain cramps maybe). The associations I work for make it a point not to fix a hung net until an appropriate opportunity to do so (time out, quarter ending, ball out of bounds at that end, etc.). We don't stop the game to do it.
I think I have a different viewpoint, not a braincramp. I have always seen the net unstuck, with limited exceptions. Certainly if you can do so without stopping the game, do it. (I have sen the trail in 3-man jump and pull it down even when there was no pressure on the ball!)

You can find many reasons not to, and I am not going to fall on my sword over this one. For instance, the defense inbounds and starts a break before you have even reacted to the stuck net - shouldn't it back for the net in this case. Another would be when you are dealing with a press and the ball is in the corner trapped already. I am more referring to the hung net and a team is about to walk the ball up against no pressure - stop it and make it right if necessary (no ball boy, broom holder, etc.).
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

I've heard that in the old days, this was a tactic teams would use to slow down teams that liked to run. Wonder if anyone still does this.
In the old days(20/30 years go),this situation was covered in the casebook/approved rulings and officials manual for both NCAA and NFHS.We were told that we could only have the net flipped down when the clock was stopped and the ball was dead.If a ballboy or player wanted to grab it while play was going on,that was fine-but we were not to stop the game to flip a net down. I don't have a clue when they removed this reference or why.Personally,I agree with Chuck.It's a game interupter if you stop the game just to get the net down.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

I've heard that in the old days, this was a tactic teams would use to slow down teams that liked to run. Wonder if anyone still does this.
In the old days(20/30 years go),this situation was covered in the casebook/approved rulings and officials manual for both NCAA and NFHS.We were told that we could only have the net flipped down when the clock was stopped and the ball was dead.If a ballboy or player wanted to grab it while play was going on,that was fine-but we were not to stop the game to flip a net down. I don't have a clue when they removed this reference or why.Personally,I agree with Chuck.It's a game interupter if you stop the game just to get the net down.
Didn't we recently hear something from the fed concerning NOT stopping the game to fix the net? Anyway, I don't.
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the old days....
Did they hang nets from those peach baskets, Jurassic?

(Insert an inane animated gif here )
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 04:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
[/B]
Did they hang nets from those peach baskets, Jurassic?

(Insert an inane animated gif here ) [/B][/QUOTE]Nah,I'll insert a nane one:
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Personally,I agree with Chuck.
No wonder it's so frickin' cold lately. Even Hell's frozen over!!

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Are You Kidding?

Blow your whistle...give the kids a break and fix the net....and resume play. No subs in the last minute (NCAA) as this is not a timer's error ar an inadvertent whistle.

Everyone saying that they have never seen it effect a shot but we all know what folks....tere is always is always a first time and I don't want to be part of that....embarrasing!
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 05:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Personally,I agree with Chuck.
No wonder it's so frickin' cold lately. Even Hell's frozen over!!
Whoa there,BoSoxBoy! It's very,very seldom that I don't agree with you on a rule,interpretation or application.It's the other things that we don't agree on-like your baseball team.Granted,I do have to say it is also kinda fun just to dump on ya for no particular reason.Fun for me,anyway.