View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 22, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walter
Hawks Coach: I usually find your insight and commentary informative and accurate but here you must be just having a bad day (brain cramps maybe). The associations I work for make it a point not to fix a hung net until an appropriate opportunity to do so (time out, quarter ending, ball out of bounds at that end, etc.). We don't stop the game to do it.
I think I have a different viewpoint, not a braincramp. I have always seen the net unstuck, with limited exceptions. Certainly if you can do so without stopping the game, do it. (I have sen the trail in 3-man jump and pull it down even when there was no pressure on the ball!)

You can find many reasons not to, and I am not going to fall on my sword over this one. For instance, the defense inbounds and starts a break before you have even reacted to the stuck net - shouldn't it back for the net in this case. Another would be when you are dealing with a press and the ball is in the corner trapped already. I am more referring to the hung net and a team is about to walk the ball up against no pressure - stop it and make it right if necessary (no ball boy, broom holder, etc.).