The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Game film

I'm a firm believer in watching and breaking down film to better my officiating. I would however like suggestions on how others go about obtaining such game film. I have tried working with coaches but the success of getting a DVD back is relatively low, even after some following up.

Any suggestions or other ideas floating around out there in the reffing community?
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 07:50pm
This IS My Social Life

Ideas from Around Here

Things that worked but are still getting the wrinkles ironed out:

A) My daughter or father sets up a camera with tripod on an upper deck and records the game. Film at eleven.

B) Our association purchased a camera and tripod which was set up in an ideal location to catch officials. Assigner was off for the night and did the recording and the camera went home with the officials for personal review. Plan for the coming year is that officials off for the night might volunteer to record others. Or varsity official of second game could come early to shoot the first game and sublevel official from the first game could shoot the second.
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 08:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

The best way to get good game film that shows you things is to have someone you know do it for you. The schools often might give you a tape, but there tape is for their purposes and often will not show a lot of things we do as officials. If you want to see dead ball periods or interactions with coaches and players, someone taping you is better.

Peace
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The best way to get good game film that shows you things is to have someone you know do it for you. The schools often might give you a tape, but there tape is for their purposes and often will not show a lot of things we do as officials. If you want to see dead ball periods or interactions with coaches and players, someone taping you is better.

Peace
Agree. On school tapes dead ball periods are cut out, so anything that happens in those time frames cannot be broken down and reviewed.

Our assignor is the mediator between officials and schools regarding game tape, but of course sometimes our requests do not get filled as a large number request are put in. The best way is like JR said. You can see the dead ball periods and have the tape the same night without the hassle of waiting.
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 10:45am
Back from the DL

Like anything else, if you want something done right, do it yourself. Instead of relying on the schools, drag a kid to the game and have them tape it.

Tell the camerakid not to follow the ball, but rather you in your PCA.
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Il offer you one...

Bring a camera, set it up at a good point at the center of the gym. Then look for a kid to do it for you for $10 or something ( depending on what level you are working and where you are).

I usually set it up before and then during warm-ups I try to pick out the "kid" from the stands (preferably one that is with a parent) and ask him/her to tape.

just my 2cents
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Game film video

I have had a great time this year umpiring baseball while using a small video camera (available on line for 10-12 bucks) in my hat. I have also used a pair of sun glasses with a video camera in them. (30 bucks) It's been a good learning tool for me and some of my friends to see the game action from the Ump-cam. Since your handle is "Clark Kent" you might look great in these glasses. (for basketball you could just remove the lenses)
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I'm a firm believer in watching and breaking down film to better my officiating. I would however like suggestions on how others go about obtaining such game film. I have tried working with coaches but the success of getting a DVD back is relatively low, even after some following up.

Any suggestions or other ideas floating around out there in the reffing community?
I coordinate with the AD the week prior to the game. I confirm with him/her and then follow up two weeks after if I don't receive anything. I've had pretty good luck with it.

-Josh