The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I hear ya, IMO one handed reporting is weak compared to two handed... I guess its all about who one works for & what their personal preferences are.
I also personally like two handed reporting better...especially for double numbers where there's no chance of the scorer missing a number (this is a case where I'll still do two handed reporting during the season).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed May 25, 2011, 12:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I hear ya, IMO one handed reporting is weak compared to two handed... I guess its all about who one works for & what their personal preferences are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I also personally like two handed reporting better...especially for double numbers where there's no chance of the scorer missing a number (this is a case where I'll still do two handed reporting during the season).
The people I work for do not even advocate using them or doing it. I do not like it has I think it looks silly and more about the NBA. I think your voice and strength in your mechanics is what makes you look good. But then again this is 6 in one hand, a half a dozen in the other.

Peace
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The people I work for do not even advocate using them or doing it. I do not like it has I think it looks silly and more about the NBA. I think your voice and strength in your mechanics is what makes you look good. But then again this is 6 in one hand, a half a dozen in the other.

Peace
I do definitely think that one's voice is very important in reporting...the only thing is sometimes you'll have a scorer who for some reason pays attention only to the numbers you show or just your voice...not both. Not everyone can be as vigilant as our favorite scorer.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed May 25, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not like it has I think it looks silly and more about the NBA.
Beside using a "loose ball" signal in a HS/College game, what's wrong with copying the 60 best??
To me the only time 2 handed reporting "looks silly" is when the reporting official can read it themselves
IMO if our books were written as clearly as theirs & we had the same big picture mentality they have, "Oh What a Wonderful World it Would Be!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I do definitely think that one's voice is very important in reporting...
Value of voice is priceless!
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 01:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Beside using a "loose ball" signal in a HS/College game, what's wrong with copying the 60 best??
To me the only time 2 handed reporting "looks silly" is when the reporting official can read it themselves
IMO if our books were written as clearly as theirs & we had the same big picture mentality they have, "Oh What a Wonderful World it Would Be!"
I do not see what mechanics you use has to do with following the best. I could even personally make an argument that those in the NBA are not always the best. That is a different level anyway but I probably could find more than that number that if they wanted to could work an NBA game. I think it looks silly for what we have to do. The NBA does this while walking and talking and we cannot do that the same in the college ranks (or at least not by what the main supervisors say). If you like it that is fine with me, but I think it would be mostly inappropriate at the HS level and most college officials I know do not do this either. Just my opinion, not something I feel that strongly about. But just because the NBA does something I do not think we all should do something. Different rules and different standards.

Peace
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not see what mechanics you use has to do with following the best. I could even personally make an argument that those in the NBA are not always the best. That is a different level anyway but I probably could find more than that number that if they wanted to could work an NBA game. I think it looks silly for what we have to do. The NBA does this while walking and talking and we cannot do that the same in the college ranks (or at least not by what the main supervisors say). If you like it that is fine with me, but I think it would be mostly inappropriate at the HS level and most college officials I know do not do this either. Just my opinion, not something I feel that strongly about. But just because the NBA does something I do not think we all should do something. Different rules and different standards.

Peace
True JRut, they are 60 of the best that received & cashed in on an opportunity.
Ok I understand what makes it look silly to you. We can agree to disagree, because flashing the number all at once is better than twice. You are correct though, I do not practice this in HS games, one of my college supervisors doesnt want it at all & the other doesnt care.
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
True JRut, they are 60 of the best that received & cashed in on an opportunity.
Also keep in mind those guys decided to go that route. Not everyone wants to go that way or would go through the process to get in the NBA. That has nothing to do with whether their mechanics are better or worse. It is more about that what is required at that level. If they changed our mechanics tomorrow I would adapt. If I have a choice I will stick to what I already do. Life is too short to worry about this very long anyway.

Peace
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 03:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This is a difference between the men's and women's mechanic. Women's officials do not stop the clock on out of bounds violations. In men's mechanics, stopping the clock is still (technically) required.
In NCAA Men's, it is REQUIRED? Or is it OPTIONAL?
Old Wed May 25, 2011, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

CCA Mens Pg 74 says:

When an official calls a violation:

A. Simultaneously give a single sharp blast of the whistle, signal timeout, then drop whistle from the mouth. More than one blast should be used in unusual situations.

Pg 75 says:

Three distinct and seperate movements may be made for an out-of-bounds call: Stop clock, point direction, then indicate the throw-in spot.
There is a diagram showing this as well.

The word "may" is whats causing the confusion, they should've used "shall" instead...