The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Getting too lenient

B9 game last night, 2 whistle. The V assistant coach is very into the game and does some chirping along with his coaching (although always stays seated.) Head Coach is standing and is pretty quiet, apparently the assistant does most of the talking.

About midway through the second quarter my partner calls a foul and the asst. coach questions the call. I see my partner hesitate and then give him an explanation. The very next play he asks me something and I ignore him.

A couple of minutes into the third quarter, I call a travel and hear him say "I'm gonna need an explanation on that one." All the while he stays seated. I go have a conversation with the Head Coach and don't hear anything more from him until late in the game when he starts chirping again. With :11 remaining in the game with V down by about 9 pts. His complaint after an OOB call deep in the sideline corner was, "anything below the free throw line is supposed to be put in on the baseline."

I feel myself go flush and take a breath to blow my whistle . . . but didn't. This is the second time this season that I have passed on a WHACK late in a lower level game. The first situation was similar. Other than "giving him the business", I didn't see much to gain from WHACKING at that point in the game.

My point, I wasn't that leninet when I did a lot of lower level games. My question, am I doing other officials (ones who will have him later) an injustice?

IOW, am I getting too lenient?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

did it fit the game?

I think you did right, best to trust your instincts - 0:11 down 9 - it would just give you 2 more minutes of this clown - Why do it?

I started a new pharse this year when dealing with these situations in High School and below.

"Coach, I would really hate to see Him/Her, (while making it clear who it is, includes pointing) get you in trouble today"
I have not had a problem after that yet this year.
A couple of times late it has come close, but I didn't see the need to deal with it in that manner.
lienant?
I do not think so better game manager yes.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:13pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
"Coach, I would really hate to see Him/Her, (while making it clear who it is, includes pointing) get you in trouble today"
I too use that when/if I get tired of hearing bench personel whine. The couple times I did have to say "coach please take care of this (pointing) so he doesn't lose your box for you" it worked really well.

Honestly though, I'm working on ignoring comments this season.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I had much the same situation this year.

"Coach, I love talking to you but your assistant is getting ready to get you a technical foul. Either real him in or I will." Was like church the rest of the game.

Communicate and nip it in the bud EARLY - first or second time it happens. Should be talked about in pre-game too so the whole crew is on the same page. When your P stopped and talked to him, it legitimized his complaints in his mind.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

if its simple chirping I usually just dont hear it anymore. but if it becomes annoying -- I just tell the coach "Coach I dont want to remind you that bench decorum is NOT just for players" -- or the simpler "ive heard enough from your bench coach"
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:34pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Communicate and nip it in the bud EARLY
Great point, if its gone on for 28 minutes w/out a warning don't whack 'em now that the game is almost over. You basically allowed this all night & coaches/players will do what we allow them to do.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
B9 game last night, 2 whistle. The V assistant coach is very into the game and does some chirping along with his coaching (although always stays seated.) Head Coach is standing and is pretty quiet, apparently the assistant does most of the talking.

About midway through the second quarter my partner calls a foul and the asst. coach questions the call. I see my partner hesitate and then give him an explanation. The very next play he asks me something and I ignore him.

A couple of minutes into the third quarter, I call a travel and hear him say "I'm gonna need an explanation on that one." All the while he stays seated. I go have a conversation with the Head Coach and don't hear anything more from him until late in the game when he starts chirping again. With :11 remaining in the game with V down by about 9 pts. His complaint after an OOB call deep in the sideline corner was, "anything below the free throw line is supposed to be put in on the baseline."

I feel myself go flush and take a breath to blow my whistle . . . but didn't. This is the second time this season that I have passed on a WHACK late in a lower level game. The first situation was similar. Other than "giving him the business", I didn't see much to gain from WHACKING at that point in the game.

My point, I wasn't that leninet when I did a lot of lower level games. My question, am I doing other officials (ones who will have him later) an injustice?

IOW, am I getting too lenient?
response: Coach, after the game, I'll explain the proper ruling to you if you like.........and I'd say it plenty loud or at least as loud as he did.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 01:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You warned the head coach once, right? He then stayed quiet for a while? He then popped off again?

Sounds like a T to me, but I won't persecute someone who passes on this.

T's aren't always about making the game better. You don't hold the whistle on a travel call because it won't make the game better. This t should have been about simply correcting improper behavior.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You don't hold the whistle on a travel call because it won't make the game better. This t should have been about simply correcting improper behavior.
I don't disagree with your point, it is about correcting the behavior, but the overall effect for :11 would be minimal. IMO.

It bothers me when talking to some DI guys who say they are saving up T's on various coaches for the most appropriate times, when they would really make the point.
But I can see where that mind fram comes from.

guy mouths off with :11 left to go in a lost game?

guy mouths off with 14:00 to go in a tie game?

greater lesson/effect?

I just think that the call has to fit the game you are calling now, so if I haven't done yet why not wait 11 more seconds and leave unless it was a no brainer.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
I just think that the call has to fit the game you are calling now, so if I haven't done yet why not wait 11 more seconds and leave unless it was a no brainer.
Good question.
Answer: Because you already warned them.
I agree that if you don't deal with it early, then let it go. They did deal with it, though.
Also, the effect will be seen next time you have this coach and hopefully for the next officials who have this coach.
In that sense, 11 seconds of the HC sitting is a cheap lesson to learn for him.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

In addition to my OP, most freshman coaches in my area are lay coaches (ones who are not otherwise employed by the school system.) And they are a nightmare. Often times they are related to a player and have unusually biased positions toward the game. They also have little respect or fear of the school administration.

That being said, I recognize the ones that are IDIOTS before the game even starts. At the V level, I would have nipped the chirpping in the first 3:00 minutes of the game. And penalized quickly. I would have had the same conversation that I had during this game (similar to what other posters said), but I probably would have penalized even with :11 left in the game. I say probably because it is 17 hours later and I am not as annoyed by him now.