The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   College Mechanics More Lenient? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/70691-college-mechanics-more-lenient.html)

CDurham Wed May 25, 2011 08:48am

College Mechanics More Lenient?

In our HS association there is a big push for universal mechanics between the officials (Chopping clock, counting with full hand, ect.). However, with college ball would you say officials have more leniency on their mechanics?

Raymond Wed May 25, 2011 09:03am

Depends entirely on your supervisor. You need to know your audience.

Start off doing the right thing. Pay attention to what the successful officials are doing to see which variances you can get away with.

tref Wed May 25, 2011 09:04am

Absolutely

They want each official to chop/count the same??
I can understand wanting everyone to stop the clock properly & no finger pointing on directional signals, but Good Luck with that other stuff!

When is the last time you've seen a NCAA-M official stop the clock on an OOB call?

CDurham Wed May 25, 2011 09:28am

"Want" is the key word

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 761115)
They want each official to chop/count the same??
I can understand wanting everyone to stop the clock properly & no finger pointing on directional signals, but Good Luck with that other stuff!

When is the last time you've seen a NCAA-M official stop the clock on an OOB call?

The assignor wants to see a full hand count and chop the clock with a full hand.

Raymond Wed May 25, 2011 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 761129)
The assignor wants to see a full hand count and chop the clock with a full hand.

Well, until you are in a position to NOT do what the assignor WANTS and still get games it's best to do what he wants.

I have participated in college camps where this very mechanic is very important to the supervisor and I have been to other camps where they don't give a damn if you chop at all.

Even under John Adams vision of making officiating look alike across the NCAA nation I don't think "open hand vs. 1 finger vs. 2 finger" pointing is something he cares about. That will still be a "when in Rome" type deal.

rockyroad Wed May 25, 2011 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 761115)

About 6 years ago...cause that's when they changed the NCAA mechanics so that a hand up on an oob call was no longer required. It is required in NFHS games, so we should be using it when working HS ball.

tref Wed May 25, 2011 10:00am

*Do I really have to walk to the parking lot & get my CCA book*

CDurham Wed May 25, 2011 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 761145)

I think you might

rockyroad Wed May 25, 2011 11:19am

Quote:

Go for it...hope it's not raining where you are.

tref Wed May 25, 2011 11:21am

Ok & yes it is raining, but I took the shuttle.

Is OOB not a violation?
Page 74 & 75 of the Mens CCA manual...

Scrapper1 Wed May 25, 2011 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 761143)
About 6 years ago...cause that's when they changed the NCAA mechanics so that a hand up on an oob call was no longer required. It is required in NFHS games, so we should be using it when working HS ball.

Quote:

This is a difference between the men's and women's mechanic. Women's officials do not stop the clock on out of bounds violations. In men's mechanics, stopping the clock is still (technically) required.

tref Wed May 25, 2011 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 761179)
This is a difference between the men's and women's mechanic. Women's officials do not stop the clock on out of bounds violations. In men's mechanics, stopping the clock is still (technically) required.

Just like the blocking foul signal with closed fists is really a Womens/NBA signal & open hand is Mens/HS.

They used to tell me "closed fists is college."
Half truths used to confuse me until I began reading each rulebook for myself.

APG Wed May 25, 2011 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 761181)
Just like the blocking foul signal with closed fists is really a Womens/NBA signal & open hand is Mens/HS.

They used to tell me "closed fists is college."
Half truths used to confuse me until I began reading each rulebook for myself.

You will never catch me signaling a block with hands on the hips...absolutely weak signal. I think the only person I've seen with hands on the hips at any level with any consistency is Dick Bervetta.

tref Wed May 25, 2011 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 761192)
You will never catch me signaling a block with hands on the hips...absolutely weak signal. I think the only person I've seen with hands on the hips at any level with any consistency is Dick Bervetta.

I hear ya, IMO one handed reporting is weak compared to two handed... I guess its all about who one works for & what their personal preferences are.

JRutledge Wed May 25, 2011 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDurham (Post 761108)
In our HS association there is a big push for universal mechanics between the officials (Chopping clock, counting with full hand, ect.). However, with college ball would you say officials have more leniency on their mechanics?

Everything we do is supervisor or assignor driven. I watched a couple of videos from a HS organization where they showed calls and I did not see a hardly a single mechanic that was "by the book." I know that when I work college games and the people I work for, we have to use the right mechanics. Now as said I have never been asked to have my fingers in the perfect direction or the way the book shows, but we have to do all the basic things like stop the clock and chop the clock properly. I will be attending a college camp this weekend and it has always been required by the supervisor to do the proper mechanics. We watch too much TV and think that applies to everyone or that someone without the standing of those officials can get away with variations.

Peace