The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Referee Interference

Did anyone see the opening of the Heat/Bulls game? I'm going only by a news article, so there is no telling what actually happened. But, the news article says that there was referee interference. I've never heard of such a thing! Does anyone know what actually happened?

Link: Bosh scores 34, Heat top Bulls 96-85 for 2-1 lead - CBS News

Quote:
NOTES: Strange sequence to open the game: Noah knocked the opening tip-off out of bounds, then after the Heat had one inbound pass blown dead by — of all things — referee interference, Noah picked up a foul six seconds into the game on the second inbounds attempt. ...
Old Mon May 23, 2011, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Ron Garreston was at lead and was administering the throw-in. As he was swinging his arm, he brushed the throw-in pass as it was being released. The throw-in was intercepted by the defense but blown dead by Ron.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon May 30, 2011 at 04:10am. Reason: throw-in...not free throw
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Ron called a "do over"

I was watching it. Garretson administered the play exactly as described.

I think he messed this one up.

Section II-Ball
a. The ball is out-of-bounds when it touches a player who is out-of-bounds or any other person, the floor, or any object on, above or outside of a boundary or the supports or back of the backboard.

or more directly:
Section III-Throw In
f. A throw-in which touches the floor, or any object on or outside the boundary line, or touches anything above the playing surface is a violation. The ball must be thrown directly inbounds.

The only possible exception is:
Section II-Ball
f. If the ball is interfered with by an opponent seated on the bench or standing on the sideline (Rule 12A-Section IV-a[7]), it shall be awarded to the offended team out-of-bounds nearest the spot of the violation.

Unless officials are now defined as opponents, can anyone think of a reason this should not have been Chicago ball?
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Rule 2-3 (elastic powers rule) would be used to justify the "do over" and I thought Ron handled it correctly. I'm not penalizing a team who without me striking the ball, would have made an otherwise legal throw-in.

Here is a case play where an official is hit on a throw-in:

354. Following a successful field goal by Team B, Player A1 attempts to pass to Player A2, who is also out-of-bounds. The ball hits an official, who is also out-of-bounds. What is the ruling?

The official will stop play and award the ball back to Team A for another throw-in attempt, with the option of running the baseline. The official shall be aware of this situation when a pressing defense exists, following a successful field goal/free throw.
RULE 2 - SECTION III
RULE 8 - SECTION III - c
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue May 24, 2011, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Here's another case book play dealing with the ball hitting an official during a throw-in.

233. Following a successful field goal by Team B, Player A1 attempts a throw-in to Player A2. The pass hits an official who is:
(1) standing out-of-bounds, or (2) standing in-bounds.
What is the ruling?

(1) Violation. The ball is awarded to Team B because of Player A1’s failure to pass the ball directly in-bounds. Team B will be awarded the ball at the original spot of the throw-in.
(2) Ball remains in play.
RULE 8 - SECTION III - f

I'd imagine this is meant to be used in situations where there's a bad pass that doesn't hit the administering official...think a throw-in on the baseline hitting the trail official. I view that as different than the administering official striking the ball accidentally while swinging a count.

Old Tue May 24, 2011, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Rule 2-3 (elastic powers rule) would be used to justify the "do over" and I thought Ron handled it correctly. I'm not penalizing a team who without me striking the ball, would have made an otherwise legal throw-in.
+1

I'm not penalizing a player for my goof. There's a difference between the thrower throwing the ball into me while I'm out of bounds, and my reaching (albeit accidentally) into the path of the pass. Both cause the ball to be out of bounds, but the latter is my fault.
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I can live with that and I agree on not penalizing the throwing team. I just didn't see anything in the rules to the contrary. The case play makes sense, too. Is that Fed?
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMoines View Post
I can live with that and I agree on not penalizing the throwing team. I just didn't see anything in the rules to the contrary. The case play makes sense, too. Is that Fed?
The case plays quoted are NBA case plays. Don't have my NF near by, but I'd handle a similar play the same way. God powers if anyone wants to argue with you.

Old Tue May 24, 2011, 12:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
The case plays quoted are NBA case plays. Don't have my NF near by, but I'd handle a similar play the same way. God powers if anyone wants to argue with you.
+1

I step away after handing the ball to the thrower, and THEN commence the count. By the time I take a step back, my count has not begun too early, and I shouldn't be in the line of fire.
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 12:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I step away to get wide, and I always swing away from the ball.
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 02:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I step away to get wide, and I always swing away from the ball.
I used to do that, but was advised to hand the ball to the thrower with my nearer hand rather than across my body. I am still trying to adjust on OOB calls at the end line to not do the traffic cop signal.
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 02:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I used to do that, but was advised to hand the ball to the thrower with my nearer hand rather than across my body. I am still trying to adjust on OOB calls at the end line to not do the traffic cop signal.
Hand them the ball with the nearer hand then raise it.

Or stand perpendicular to the thrower-in and hand them the ball with what will become your outside hand.
Old Tue May 24, 2011, 04:43pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Hand them the ball with the nearer hand then raise it.

Or stand perpendicular to the thrower-in and hand them the ball with what will become your outside hand.
I may try the former. I have a field clinic through FHSAA in 10 days. I may ask what the local preference is. Thanks.