The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I feel like the NFHS sometimes is just trying to find editorial "changes" and "clarifications" to try and justify a yearly publication of the rules and case book. Who the hell is having trouble differentiating between white and light blue, silver, gold?

And the NFHS is busy at it again making use the freaking fashion police. Now in addition to having it for "medical" reasons, we get to make sure it's the correct color! A freaking joke.
I'm guessing they've made this change so the restrictions are the same as for headbands. ie, no medical issue required.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:29pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I feel like the NFHS sometimes is just trying to find editorial "changes" and "clarifications" to try and justify a yearly publication of the rules and case book. Who the hell is having trouble differentiating between white and light blue, silver, gold?

And the NFHS is busy at it again making use the freaking fashion police. Now in addition to having it for "medical" reasons, we get to make sure it's the correct color! A freaking joke.
Guys who shouldn't be on the court any longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm guessing they've made this change so the restrictions are the same as for headbands. ie, no medical issue required.
If they did away with the medical reason, a joke to start with, I would be fine with the change. They just made a bad rule worse IMO.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
If they did away with the medical reason, a joke to start with, I would be fine with the change. They just made a bad rule worse IMO.
Blame AI, he isnt even in the League anymore, but he left his fashion statement with the game.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand why they did it...but my general stance is that officials shouldn't give a flip what color a headband, arm sleeve, or undershirt is but rather this should be a coaches issues. The only thing we should care about is safety related items. Adding color restrictions to anything just makes us more into policing fashion.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
I understand why they did it...but my general stance is that officials shouldn't give a flip what color a headband, arm sleeve, or undershirt is but rather this should be a coaches issues. The only thing we should care about is safety related items. Adding color restrictions to anything just makes us more into policing fashion.
I'm with 26, if they do away with the medical restriction, it's a change for the better. If not, it's for the worse.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm with 26, if they do away with the medical restriction, it's a change for the better. If not, it's for the worse.
The change would only okay in that it would consistent with NF's other idiotic fashion police policies.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu May 05, 2011, 02:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
The change would only okay in that it would consistent with NF's other idiotic fashion police policies.
Can we just agree that Patrick Ewing & AI, (didn't both go to the same school?), have made us focus on stuff that should have been un-necessary?

Coach to above players: "That looks dorky. Take it off or you've got extra laps."
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can we just agree that Patrick Ewing & AI, (didn't both go to the same school?), have made us focus on stuff that should have been un-necessary?

Coach to above players: "That looks dorky. Take it off or you've got extra laps."
That's my point. Personally, I had no problems with what Patrick Ewing and Allen Iverson wore (I was playing basketball during his prime). It should be the coach that mandates whether or not their team is allowed to wear these accessories and what restrictions should be placed on it. If the coach wants to mandate everyone where the same color head band, put it on him. If he doesn't want a player to wear a wristband above the elbow, mandate it. A player doesn't want to conform, BENCH HIM. You better believe he's shape up quickly *gasp* most players WANT TO PLAY!

All the NF has done is pass the buck on to us...probably because some coaches didn't (wo)man up and lay the law down.

Last edited by APG; Thu May 05, 2011 at 02:23pm.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 02:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

When did head band restrictions come into play? I know they pre-date AI, but Ewing is before my time. The arm sleeves, however, whole other story.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 02:20pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
When did head band restrictions come into play? I know they pre-date AI, but Ewing is before my time. The arm sleeves, however, whole other story.
Headband colors were since I came back to the game during the 2003-04 season. Ewing was the t-shirt guy. Maybe that section of the rule book should be dedicated to John Thompson.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 02:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Headband colors were since I came back to the game during the 2003-04 season. Ewing was the t-shirt guy. Maybe that section of the rule book should be dedicated to John Thompson.
I remember my playing days in the 80s and 90s, and I'm pretty sure the t-shirt colors were regulated then. I thought the wrist and head bands were, too. I have no problem with the t-shirt color reg. It actually makes more sense and is easier to enforce.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 02:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
I remember my playing days in the 80s and 90s, and I'm pretty sure the t-shirt colors were regulated then. I thought the wrist and head bands were, too. I have no problem with the t-shirt color reg. It actually makes more sense and is easier to enforce.
But, nobody even WORE tee shirts until Ewing started doing so. Colors on headbands, wristbands, etc. are more recent than your playing days.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
But, nobody even WORE tee shirts until Ewing started doing so. Colors on headbands, wristbands, etc. are more recent than your playing days.
You might be right about the t-shirts, but I wore one and wasn't even aware that Ewing did. I did it because I had skinny arms as a kid.

As for the bands, shut up.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 03:55pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Any TI pass that gains FC status before it goes into the BC (being tipped by a FC player or bouncing in the FC) would be subject to violation if the TI team is the first to touch it after it goes into the BC.
Citation?

Going by this past year's rules (9-9-1 and 9-9-2), team control must exist in the frontcourt or backcourt as a requirement for a backcourt violation. Frontcourt and backcourt are defined as being in-bounds (4-13), so if rules 9-9-1&2 aren't altered, the requirements for a backcourt violation still would not be met, since team control would have been out of bounds in your sitch.

That said, I see that 9-9-3 would need tweaking, as there's a reference to no team control on a throw-in.
Old Thu May 05, 2011, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Released by the NFHS today:

The committee also approved an editorial change to Rule 9-2-10, Penalty 4 to clarify that when an opponent contacts the thrower-in, an intentional foul will be charged to the offender. The defender will not have to have broken the plane to be charged with an intentional foul.
That is NOT an editorial change...

Old rule...
If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and fouls the thrower, an intentional personal foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required.
This is a rule change, not an editorial change. It changes the penalty for fouling a thrower from a common foul to an intentional foul.

Additionally, it oesn't make any sense. If the defender can legally play the ball, they shouldn't be at risk of an intentional foul if they miss the ball and hit the arm....that is just not right.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu May 05, 2011 at 07:05pm.