The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Had this last night in a girls 8th grade game. I am a boys official but I coach my daughter's team. A1 is taking the ball out on the baseline after a basket by B. Nobody from team A is in the back court to receive the pass. After about 3 or 4 seconds, A1 releases the ball into the backcourt, where it slowly rolls forward toward the division line. A1 enters the court, follows the ball but does not touch it. This goes on for about 5 or 6 seconds, when finally B1 comes back to try to pick up the ball. After B1 touches, A1 promptly steals the ball. Under NCAA women's rules, was there a violation on the play, and when should the ten-second count have started? Is there a ten-second count in girls NCAA?
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

The throw-in has not ended until it is touched. No team control... no 10-second count. I don't know about Women's NCAA but I'm thinking that they do have a 10-second rule. Somebody will clarify.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
The play the way you described it is legal on all levels. Until the ball is possessed inbounds there will not be a 10 second count.

Under NCAA women's, which you asked about, there is not a 10 second backcourt count. However, there can be a 5 second closely guarded count while holding the ball in the backcourt.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

A throw-in ends when it touches (or is touched by) another player. Thus the inbounder did not actually pass the ball to themself, they recovered a loose ball so to speak.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

5 second inbound rule

What about the five second inbound rule? Since the throw in does not end until it touches a player, can the inbounder be charged with a violation?
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: 5 second inbound rule

Quote:
Originally posted by jking_94577
What about the five second inbound rule? Since the throw in does not end until it touches a player, can the inbounder be charged with a violation?
The 5-second count ends when the inbounder releases the ball toward the court. You may be thinking of the "old" counting practice which continued until the ball was legally touched by a player (or legally touched a player). Some of the more seasoned veterans can tell you when this switch occurred.
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: 5 second inbound rule

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:
Originally posted by jking_94577
The 5-second count ends when the inbounder releases the ball toward the court. You may be thinking of the "old" counting practice which continued until the ball was legally touched by a player (or legally touched a player). Some of the more seasoned veterans can tell you when this switch occurred.
I'm pretty sure that it changed in the mid 80's
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: 5 second inbound rule

Quote:
Originally posted by hawkk
I'm pretty sure that it changed in the mid 80's [/B]
Actually, it was around '89 or '90.