The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As far as our pre-game goes, I've worked with the same two partners for the past 5 years
Wow...I know you have stated this before...but that seems unbelievable, at least in the type of association I am in.

There are some obvious advantages to working with the same guys all the time...but don't you miss out on working with different people that come into your association?

5 years...hmmmmm, there are alot of MARRIAGES that don't last that long.

Dude
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NC_rec_ref

C) What do you cover with captains?

Thanks,
C
My captains meeting....

"Captains Shake hands and introduce yourself"
I intro myself and my P.
I determine who the "speaking captains" are and let them know they can come to us during the game with any questions.
I ask the Captains: "Any questions?"
I ask my partner: "P you got anything?"
"Shake hands and have a great ball game"

Thats it. They arent listening anyway. I've worked as the U with guys who go into this long speech about the black line all the way around is out of bounds, if we blow the whistle, stop play, if the ball hits anything hanging from the ceiling its OOB, we're going to enforce this or that etc etc etc. On a good day you'll even hear "You're here to learn and this is an extension of your learning experience....Blah Blah Blah. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

Hello!!!....no one is listening except your partner. I've been told by more than one OLD DAWG that its ceremonial.

Get in, shake hands, get out. So thats what I do.

Larks
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

I agree...no long drawn out Captain's Meeting.

But it is a time you can show the player's a little of your personality...friendly but firm.

I don't go over rules, etc. but I do add...
"See all these people here (pointing to the stands)...
none of them came to watch us officials...they paid to see you guys play and your coaches coach...so let's have a good game where we don't have to get all "funky"!"
(Something like that) Short and sweet.

Dude
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Here is one I use in upper level games where the level of play is high and we have many skilled players on the floor (upper div HS and JuCO)

"guys/Ladies, no one in the stands including yourselves came here to watch us blow our whistles. Remember that while we are playing and we will be fine.. Any questions??? Good luck and Have Fun!!"

I totally agree w/ the short pre-game at the upper levels no one is paying attention anyways. Get in and get out.

In MN we are also required to get a speaking captain as well as to ask the coaches about legally equipped players (even though they usually have no clue whether they are anyways. They also ask us to mention to both about promoting good sportsmanship.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Tony,
Email me at [email protected].

Your profile didn't allow direct email.

Thnx
C
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Why is it I can get a long speech out of a partner during the captains meeting but don't get a good pregame in the locker room??????
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
As far as our pre-game goes, I've worked with the same two partners for the past 5 years
Wow...I know you have stated this before...but that seems unbelievable, at least in the type of association I am in.

There are some obvious advantages to working with the same guys all the time...but don't you miss out on working with different people that come into your association?

5 years...hmmmmm, there are alot of MARRIAGES that don't last that long.
Well, we haven't divorced yet, although I expect the senior member will probably hang'em up after this year or next.

I get an occassional opportunity to work with different official. I'm filling in on a varsity doubleheader on tomorrow night and filling in on a JV doubleheader on Thursday. I am looking forward to the Thursday assignment because one of the officials is a rookie and the other is a 3rd year who isn't progressing very well. If I survive it, it should provide a few teachable moments.

I really enjoy working within the crew concept. The three of us get along very well and work well together. I normally work with a different crew 2-4 times a season. But I'm certainly more comfortable working with my crew. I know what to expect in any situation, know how they will react, and know what they're going to call. As I said, it's comfortable.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Why is it I can get a long speech out of a partner during the captains meeting but don't get a good pregame in the locker room??????
Hear, hear!