Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 02:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
True! If it could only be the same across the board

College officials:
Since tc already exists on throw-ins when do you begin your count, when the ball touches the wood or when a player gains control?
Well, since there is no 10 second count in NCAAW, we don't have to worry about it.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 03:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It only needs to be clarified for some. The rest understand it as it is.
Are we supposed to take a Camron Rust sponsored poll before a rule can be further clarified?

Still waiting for answer to these (NCAA rules):

BC throw-in. A1's entry pass hits A2 in the leg and the ball lands in the BC.

BC throw-in. A1's entry pass hits B2 in the leg and the ball lands in the BC.

When does the 10-second count start for those 2 situations based on the clearly written rule?
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Well, since there is no 10 second count in NCAAW, we don't have to worry about it.

Correction: NCAAM Officials, when do you begin your 10 second count?
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 03:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I would like for them to actually use the phrases "Team Control" and "Back Court Status".

We can on folks all the time for not using proper terminology yet this rule fails to do so on this particular rule.

Of course this is just my opinion. YMMV.
A "Player" or his "Team" may not be in "control....."

The terms are there, just not in order. The sentence flows fairly easily as is, and the meaning isn't difficult to ascertain. Curious how you would word it if given the opportunity.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are we supposed to take a Camron Rust sponsored poll before a rule can be further clarified?

When does the 10-second count start for those 2 situations based on the clearly written rule?
Well, we were discussing the HS rule in its current state since the topic was about how you felt the starting of the count in the backcourt had always needed clarification...not how it may need clarification under the new rule change. None of these questions were at all relevant.

In any case, here are the answers to both your questions from the most recent (2011) NCAA casebook...
A.R. 229. The ball is at the disposal of Team A for a throw-in. A1 attempts to throw the inbounds pass to A2, who is located in his/her front court near the division line.
(1) A1’s pass is deflected by B1. A2 leaves the playing court in his/her front court and while airborne, controls the ball, and then lands with one or both feet in the back court.
(2) A1’s throw-in pass is deflected by B1. The ball bounces into Team A’s front court. While the ball is bouncing in Team A’s front court, it is deflected into Team A’s back court, where A3 retrieves it.
(3) A1’s throw-in pass is deflected by A2, who fumbles it into the back court. A2 then goes into the back court and recovers the fumble.

RULING: (1) Violation. When B1 deflected A1’s inbounds pass, his/her legal touching caused the throw-in to end. A1, having established front-court status when he/she left Team A’s front court, gained player and team control in the air. When A1 lands with one or both feet in his/her back court, he/she has committed a back-court violation. The exception to the back-court rules are only applicable for the player who made the initial touch on the ball.
(Rule 4-68.4 and 4-3)
(2) Legal. This is not a back-court violation since neither player nor team control had been established in the front court. (Rule 9-12.1)
(3) Legal. This is not a back-court violation since neither player nor team control had been established in the front court.(Rule 9-12.1 and 4-3
It appears that the NCAA considers a team to have team control for the purposes of fouling during thrown in but doesn't consider true "team control" to exist for anything else until the ball is caught/dribbled inbounds (player control).

Two of your questions are directly answered above and one can be deduced.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 03:32pm.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

So basically the bc count begins upon pc after the throw-in has ended, even though tc existed on the throw-in (for fouling purposes).
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 03:49pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Again, in NCAAW there is no 10 second back court count...
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 04:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Well, we were discussing the HS rule in its current state since the topic was about how you felt the starting of the count in the backcourt had always needed clarification...not how it may need clarification under the new rule change. None of these questions were at all relevant.

In any case, here are the answers to both your questions from the most recent (2011) NCAA casebook...
A.R. 229. The ball is at the disposal of Team A for a throw-in. A1 attempts to throw the inbounds pass to A2, who is located in his/her front court near the division line.
(1) A1’s pass is deflected by B1. A2 leaves the playing court in his/her front court and while airborne, controls the ball, and then lands with one or both feet in the back court.
(2) A1’s throw-in pass is deflected by B1. The ball bounces into Team A’s front court. While the ball is bouncing in Team A’s front court, it is deflected into Team A’s back court, where A3 retrieves it.
(3) A1’s throw-in pass is deflected by A2, who fumbles it into the back court. A2 then goes into the back court and recovers the fumble.

RULING: (1) Violation. When B1 deflected A1’s inbounds pass, his/her legal touching caused the throw-in to end. A1, having established front-court status when he/she left Team A’s front court, gained player and team control in the air. When A1 lands with one or both feet in his/her back court, he/she has committed a back-court violation. The exception to the back-court rules are only applicable for the player who made the initial touch on the ball.
(Rule 4-68.4 and 4-3)
(2) Legal. This is not a back-court violation since neither player nor team control had been established in the front court. (Rule 9-12.1)
(3) Legal. This is not a back-court violation since neither player nor team control had been established in the front court.(Rule 9-12.1 and 4-3
It appears that the NCAA considers a team to have team control for the purposes of fouling during thrown in but doesn't consider true "team control" to exist for anything else until the ball is caught/dribbled inbounds (player control).

Two of your questions are directly answered above and one can be deduced.
Those are throw-in exceptions for back court violations. You say "It appears that the NCAA considers ..." If that is your definition of how the 10-second count rule is "clearly" written then I'm glad I don't work for you.

If they added about 10 words to the 10-second rule an official wouldn't need to deduce anything from a totally unrelated rules reference. I guess you prefer searching all over the book instead of adding 10 simple words.

And considering the amount of times I put "(NCAA)" in my posts on this subject, and that my original statement was during a discussion about when to start a 3-second count on a throw-in, or that almost all my rule references come from NCAA-M I thought it was clear I was talking about team control throw-ins. Or at a minimum you should have been able to deduce it.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Apr 26, 2011 at 04:34pm.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Those are throw-in exceptions for back court violations. You say "It appears that the NCAA considers ..." If that is your definition of how the 10-second count rule is "clearly" written then I'm glad I don't work for you.

If they added about 10 words to the 10-second rule an official wouldn't need to deduce anything from a totally unrelated rules reference. I guess you prefer searching all over the book instead of adding 10 simple words.

And considering the amount of times I put "(NCAA)" in my posts on this subject, and that my original statement was during a discussion about when to start a 3-second count on a throw-in, or that almost all my rule references come from NCAA-M I thought it was clear I was talking about team control throw-ins. Or at a minimum you should have been able to deduce it.
FYI, the conversation was about NFHS, not NCAA. The NCAA wording was not relevant. As far as I can tell, before your post, there was no mention of NCAA in this topic. And in the other thread, there was no mention of NCAA until after your statement about you believing the rule should have been clarified.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

FYI, the conversation was about NFHS, not NCAA. The NCAA wording was not relevant. As far as I can tell, before your post, there was no mention of NCAA in this topic. And in the other thread, there was no mention of NCAA until after your statement about you believing the rule should have been clarified.

If you've made additional statements, fine, I don't memorize them.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 10:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

If you've made additional statements, fine, I don't memorize them.
Well, considering the conversation was about making the NFHS rule the same as the NCAA rule....

But I guess you were more intent on making it seem like I couldn't comprehend a "clearly written rule". Guess I'm not the only one who can read something and not find clarity.