The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

First, I would like to say I think this site is great. I coach youth basketball (6th-9th grade) and am making a concerted effort to understand the rules so I pass them on correctly to the kids. Posts to and from this site have been very helpful. Here is one I had never noticed before and would like your interpretation(s). Rule 9, Section 7 regarding the 3 second violation says that "allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted are for less than 3 seconds, dribbles in or moves to try for the goal." How do refs interpret this? Must it be a direct move to the basket? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

John,

It would depend on whether or not the play was making a move to the basket. If he was going to attempt a shot within the 3 second violation, I would let the violation go. If the player has no desire to attempt a shot, but is over the 3 second violation, then I would have to call a violation. I am generalizing here, but most officials will allow the player to make a move if he hasn't been in the key for over two seconds and goes directly to the basket or into the motion of shooting. It has to do with the advantage/disadvantage idea of officiating.
Hope this helps.

Gman
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Some veterans in my area argue that, if a player has the ball in the key, you ignore the 3-second issue as long as they are attempting to maneuver (?) for a shot, even if they stay in there for 5-6 seconds. Their reasoning is that the 3-second rule was intended to prevent the offensive rebounders or post guys from gaining an unfair advantage, so if someone has the ball looking to shoot it doesn't fall under the same purpose for the rule. If the player kicks out the ball to a teammate, then "boom"--3-second violation. I'm not entirely convinced, yet the rationale does make sense. All I know is, whether he's trying to work for a shot or not, if he's in there for 4 seconds, everyone is screaming for a violation.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2000, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

If they don't have "Winnebago" on their shirt, they can't camp out in the lane....lol

Is the player gaining an advantage or falling asleep watching the paint dry? Some youth levels need to be less strict on calls of this nature. Our board interperter has discussed this a few times. If the player has the ball and starts to make his/her move to shoot (including a fake one way then pivot and shoot the other) he has started his shooting so let him go. Even if the move starts when you are up to 3 seconds, give him a few more seconds to finish the shot. This is a CALL the coaches yell about and feel we don't call enough of. I run the youth league in my town, and go over a hand out of "misunderstood" basketball rules with the coaches before the season begins. This eliminates alot of the yelling and moaning for things they have no reason to get excited over. Good luck.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2000, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Is it possible to get a copy of your hand out of "misunderstood" basketball rules?

quote:
Originally posted by Art N on 02-03-2000 03:38 PM
If they don't have "Winnebago" on their shirt, they can't camp out in the lane....lol

Is the player gaining an advantage or falling asleep watching the paint dry? Some youth levels need to be less strict on calls of this nature. Our board interperter has discussed this a few times. If the player has the ball and starts to make his/her move to shoot (including a fake one way then pivot and shoot the other) he has started his shooting so let him go. Even if the move starts when you are up to 3 seconds, give him a few more seconds to finish the shot. This is a CALL the coaches yell about and feel we don't call enough of. I run the youth league in my town, and go over a hand out of "misunderstood" basketball rules with the coaches before the season begins. This eliminates alot of the yelling and moaning for things they have no reason to get excited over. Good luck.

------------------
Trent
Old Sat Feb 05, 2000, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am a Youth Basketball coach and have a question regarding lane violations. I was complaining that the Ref was not calling 5 seconds (what we use) in the lane on a member of the opposing team whose player was camping out in the lane. The Ref advised me that it is not a violation if any member of the player's team "attempted" a shot at the basket thereby resetting the 5 second timer. I argued that the "shot attempt" would have to hit the rim otherwise it is not a shot. He said he was not going to call it if they were "making an attempt" at the basket. Again, we are not talking about the person committing the violation. What is the proper interpretation and does an attempt to shoot reset the persons time in the lane?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2000, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Sever on 02-05-2000 10:43 PM
I am a Youth Basketball coach and have a question regarding lane violations. I was complaining that the Ref was not calling 5 seconds (what we use) in the lane on a member of the opposing team whose player was camping out in the lane. The Ref advised me that it is not a violation if any member of the player's team "attempted" a shot at the basket thereby resetting the 5 second timer. I argued that the "shot attempt" would have to hit the rim otherwise it is not a shot. He said he was not going to call it if they were "making an attempt" at the basket. Again, we are not talking about the person committing the violation. What is the proper interpretation and does an attempt to shoot reset the persons time in the lane?

It means just that -- did the player attempt to make a basket (if the player had been fouled, would you have expected two free throws?). It matters not (under Fed and NCAA rules) whether the ball hits the rim.

This must be a coming common misinterpretation. The ref at my daughters fifth grade game today made the same call (he called 5-seconds after a shot when the ball didn't hit the rim). I tried to explain the rule to him after the game.

Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thanks for the informative reply. I will keep that in mind before complaining.