The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Question

I have a question for the board members. What does your state require with patches? In Illinois for example we have had two patches to wear, a State patch on one arm and a Sportsmanship patch on the other. This year they changed the patches and got rid of the Sportsmanship patch and designed a new State patch for one sleave. These patches have to worn for all games. So in other words, we cannot officiate a plain shirt.

What does other states require with patches, and do they also require the wearing or allow the wearing of an American Flag?

We also have a patch that the state allows officials that have done a State Finals Series. Does your state have such a patch for those accomplished officials? And if they do allow you to wear such a patch, what do you feel about wearing a patch or working with guys that wear them? Do you feel that they are "professionally" inappropriate or do you not have a problem with them. With that last question I am personally torn, but have heard guys complain about State Final Officials wearing such a patch during games.

Basically, what do you guys think?

Peace
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

We have an NCHSAA patch on our CCA-type jacket. Our state director does not like any patches on the shirt.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Oregon requires a patch on the shirt "over the heart". We get one with our association dues, and can buy extras for a dollar or two.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
In Arizona, the state patch is mandatory and the US flag is optional. Both officials must wear the flag if one chooses to wear it.

As far as the "state finals" patch, I think that is BS. Those guys definitely deserve credit for achieving that level, but a patch is inappropriate. I think it is arrogant and doesn't promote a team attitude towards other officials.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Here in eastern Idaho we do not wear a patch. A few years back (maybe 7 or 8) patches were worn.... now they are not.

We did start wearing an American flag on our jackets (center, back, two inches below the collar) after 9/11/01.

No state memoribilia (sp?) is worn by the boy's club member's either - I'm not as convinced that those officiating at State are really that deserving of being there.... some are, some are NOT.... previously being a coach, dating a coach, coaches brother, playing softball with the coaches during the summer, college roommates,... etc. doesn't make you the best qualified official. But in a district where the coaches evaluation counts for the vast majority of an official's evaluation... they call the shots and the boy's club wins.... At least they don't get patches too... for sucking up!
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

Washington State:

WOA (Washington Officials Association) patch over the heart. Flag patch optional.

I'll be officiating at the state tourney this year, but I think that a state patch is a stupid and elitist idea. The officials are supposed to be a team. For one to wear a patch that says, "hey, look at me...I reffed at state" seems very individualistic.

Z
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 03:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Question Already?

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

I'll be officiating at the state tourney this year

Z
You already know this? Why do you already know this? I know that this is getting off the subject, but what if you have a bad year? You still get the opportunity to officiate the State Finals without having to prove it during the year?

Peace
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Here in Nassau County (long Island, NY) we wearan IAABO patch on the left front of the uniform shirt and, since 9-11, an American Flag on the rear top of the shirt. Personally I would prefer the American flag to be on the front or on the left sleeve.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Way up here in the sticks of Minnesota, no patches are worn on officials uniforms. I was wondering for the optional patches, does that mean you have to carry that many shirts with different patches sewn on them so the officials can match on that particular night? It is a pain for me to carry three pairs of pants so I can match my partner, let alone that many combinations of shirts. I think a state tournament patch is inappropriate as well. I went to my first D1 basketball game yesterday. It was Bobby Knight and Texas Tech against the Minnesota Gophers. I wanted to see coach Knight get on the officials and how they handled him. He was a relative pussycat. Only had words for the officials twice. They were very solid officials. One guy made a foul signal by raising his knee which I don't think is a ncaa official foul signal. The strange thing is that he reported to the table using the same signal. One of the other guys (who I thought was really outstanding) pointed with his middle two fingers folded and his thumb up, index finger, and pinky pointing. I've never seen this and thought it very strange. Well, thats all I have to say 'bout that! By the way, those officials had no patches on their shirts!
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

In WI

I presume you know this Jeff, since you officiate in our state...

WI has no patches; however, the WIAA has approved the wearing of a 2" X 3" flag on the left sleeve.

I do not like the concept of having state tourney officials getting a patch, especially knowing the process that is used to "select" these officials.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Utah does not wear patches. We have our jacket with a logo on it...
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
In MA, all boys' officials wear an IAABO patch and a MA state patch. Girls' officials wear neither of those, but some do wear a patch from some organization. I've never looked closely enough to know what the girls' board patch says.

Chuck
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Texas

Patch's are an American Flag on the left Sleeve.
Optional - but approved.

Black outer Jackets are over the heart Association logo
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
Texas

Optional - but approved.

Black outer Jackets are over the heart Association logo

and Z could indeed know ahead of time if he gets to referee the state tournament if they do it like Texas does where you get to go 3 years in a row.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
NY:
Girls---flag on sleeve.
Boys---also wear another patch on front (but I don't know what 'cause I only work girls).

Question: What's the best way to attach the flag (or other patch)? Sew it on? Velcro? And where does one buy the velcro, anyway...?