Thread: State Patches.
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 06:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

Can't answer for Z...but in our association we have 4 "slots" to fill. The top 4 rated officials in our association gets the state assignments. If one of the officials chooses not to go...then the next rated official gets the opportunity to go to state.
Unfortunately, we do not have a limit on how many times you can go to state in a row. In the past we have had one or two officials go every year for many years straight. A couple years ago we got together and made an "agreement" that we would only go two years straight and then sit out at least one year...this gives the other "closely" rated guys a chance. (Say #5,6,and 7 rated officials)

As far as "proving it"...(man JRutledge you ARE a hard A$$)...IMO a guy or gal that has put in the many long hours (years) to get to the point of even being considered for state has more than "proved" himself/herself.
Sure an official might have a bad game or two during the year, but to deny him/her their chance to do a State Tournament would be slightly unjust.

In Illinois, we have coaches and officials ratings. Each year those ratings are used as a basis for us getting playoff assignments that year. You literally do not know until the season is almost over before you even here that you have made the playoffs. All playoff officials do a regional first (Regional, Sectional, Super-Sectional and State Final series or Final 8). They do not tell you that you even get a Sectional game until you have been assigned a Regional. While you are doing a regional, you might find out that you have the sectional, but it is not told to you until that time comes. Now if a official has done a Super-Sectional the previous year, it is not even guaranteed that they will get another one the current year. Usually if you have had a few Super-Sectionals, the next progression is to go "down state" or do the State Finals. But just like the NFL or MLB or even the NBA, you kind of have to earn your right. If you mess up or if you do not come up to standards, you might not get an oppourtunity to move to the next level. And those officials that have done Super-Sectionals are viewed by the state to determine who might likely get the oppourtunity to do State Final games, but not told until they do the Super-Sectional.

I am no way knocking that they tell Z or any official early, but it is just odd from the situation I officiate under. Our State is the only ones that hand out those assignments. Official's Association have no say other than ratings of the membership, but does not outweight other factors. And this is they way it pretty much is in all sports in Illinois. There might be some idea based on previous year data who might get a chance to work far in the playoffs, but we will not know for sure until a few weeks before the playoff starts. I have never done a playoff game in basketball and just got promoted to the highest ranking of an official in basketball (which will help that to become a reality), but I will not know for sure until much later in the season. There have been many official that one year get a playoff assignment, then the next year get nothing. There really is no good information to tell us why that happens.

It just struck me as odd, that is all.

Peace