Thread: State Patches.
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 03:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
Marty, I was going to email you, since I doubt that anybody outside MA cares, but I must've deleted your email address. Anyway, around here, we have sort of a screwed up situation. Our IAABO board is the local "boys" board and there is also a "girls" board which is not affiliated with IAABO at all. Until 3 years ago, neither board had anything to do with the other. Three years ago, it was decided that there would be a central assignor for all high school games -- girls and boys -- and that the assignor would be allowed to put "mixed" crews on the games.

So we now have a situation where IAABO members officiate with non-IAABO members (which is against our by-laws) on a regular basis. Boys board dues are $100/yr while girls board dues are roughly half of that figure. So a lot of guys have left the IAABO board, pay lower dues and still get to do some boys games. Meanwhile, the IAABO members are used for the girls games as well.

[/B][/QUOTE]Hey,I care!!

Chuck,I thought that IAABO was the governing state body in Maryland.Did I have that assumption wrong? If IAABO is the official state body,don't all certified officials in the state have to belong to it? I also know from your previous posts that your IAABO training is fairly comprehensive.How does the training of the non-IAABO officials stack up with yours?Also,isn't your insurance affected if you officiate with a non-IAABO member?

Inquiring minds need to know!