Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 12:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I have never liked rap (although I will sometimes enjoy the background songs that some rap artists sample). It might have something to do with the fact that I have never, ever, appreciated poetry. It also might have something to do with some of the themes (anti-women, anti-police), and the use of profanity, that seems to be very common in many rap songs. I do like some of the more "tame" stuff that Eminem, or Jay-Z, might perform on Letterman (love it when Dave calls him Marshall) but that's about as far as it goes for me.
You must not have ever listened to much popular music in your life, because that could be said about just about any of it. When I was growing up and Heavy Metal was popular just about every song was about drinking, women and getting in trouble. But the music was not created by guys that were from the urban areas so I guess too many that is OK.

That being said the most popular forms of music today is rap or urban figures. I am not a fan of today's music either, but it has nothing to do with rap music. When Justin Bieber is popular there is not much for me to be interested in. No one is original and no one does anything that sets them apart. And even a silly show like American Idol does not have the most talented people win that can actually sing, that is a problem. But like everything people blame rap for everything like people here blame the NBA for everything. I wonder why??

Peace
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Guess you better get out of Atlanta then.
Yes, too many Black people that like rap and the NBA.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 12:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes, too many Black people that like rap and the NBA.

Peace
There are people that like the NBA in Atlanta?

Last edited by Adam; Sat Apr 16, 2011 at 01:27pm. Reason: grammar stuff
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Well, when I was a kid, these guys were on top. Check out the hot mom dancers.

YouTube - Bill Haley & His Comets - "Hot Dog Buddy Buddy" - from "Don't Knock The Rock" - HQ 1956
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You must not have ever listened to much popular music in your life, because that could be said about just about any of it. When I was growing up and Heavy Metal was popular just about every song was about drinking, women and getting in trouble. But the music was not created by guys that were from the urban areas so I guess too many that is OK.
I never cared for either for the same reason. I like a good portion of R&B, Country (not Western, though), and the newer rock/pop stuff is growing on me.

Quote:
That being said the most popular forms of music today is rap or urban figures. I am not a fan of today's music either, but it has nothing to do with rap music. When Justin Bieber is popular there is not much for me to be interested in. No one is original and no one does anything that sets them apart. And even a silly show like American Idol does not have the most talented people win that can actually sing, that is a problem. But like everything people blame rap for everything like people here blame the NBA for everything. I wonder why??

Peace
I'm no Bieber fan, either, but he's no different than the bubblegum stuff from 10-15-25, or even 30 years ago.

Since the NBA used to be more popular than it is now, and has always had (during my lifetime, anyway) essentially the same racial mix up, I don't think it's sinking popularity is racial in nature.

I think it has more to do with few converging factors: more media paying attention to the exploits of 19 y/o millionaires, less time in college for the player to develop some semblance of maturity as well as a following, and a relative increase in the money being handed out combined with perhaps a bit of jealousy on the part of the average fan.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Apr 16, 2011 at 01:28pm.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
there's people that like the NBA in Atlanta?
"There is people..."

Really Snaqs?
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Same Can Be Said For Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Check out the hot mom dancers.
Wonder what they look like today? Ouch!
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Since the NBA used to be more popular than it is now, and has always had the same racial mix up.....
Snaq - not exactly true. The NBA started as an all white enterprise in 1946 and changed slowly over the years at first starting in 1950.

First African-American NBA Players - Hoopedia
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Snaq - not exactly true. The NBA started as an all white enterprise in 1946 and changed slowly over the years at first starting in 1950.
True, but what should have been obvious is that I was referring to the popularity of the 80s and 90s, since I couldn't possibly remember or care about the NBA of the 40s and 50s.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never cared for either for the same reason. I like a good portion of R&B, Country (not Western, though), and the newer rock/pop stuff is growing on me.

I'm no Bieber fan, either, but he's no different than the bubblegum stuff from 10-15-25, or even 30 years ago.

Since the NBA used to be more popular than it is now, and has always had the same racial mix up, I don't think it's sinking popularity is racial in nature.

I think it has more to do with few converging factors: more media paying attention to the exploits of 19 y/o millionaires, less time in college for the player to develop some semblance of maturity as well as a following, and a relative increase in the money being handed out combined with perhaps a bit of jealousy on the part of the average fan.
There's plenty of horrible music in the rap genre...I won't deny it, but there's plenty of other crap in the other genres as well. I don't see those genres being blamed for the downfall of America.

To your point about NBA popularity, the NBA is experiencing some of its best ratings since the end of the Jordan era. Last year's game 7 of the NBA Finals was the most watched basketball game since the Bulls vs. Jazz game 6 game with the infamous shot from Jordan.
NBA Finals Game 7 Average 28.2 Million Viewers, Highest Since 1998

NBA's TV ratings up across all national networks - ESPN
Quote:
The NBA says its three national TV partners all had their most viewers ever this season, topped by a 42 percent increase for TNT.ABC was up 38 percent and ESPN had a 28 percent jump, the league said Friday.

Arena capacity was 90.3 percent, its seventh straight year of 90 or better, and the 17,306 average was up 1 percent from last year and was its fifth highest.
NBA labor: Don't believe the hype - ESPN
Quote:
And let's be perfectly clear on something, when attendance is up for the seventh consecutive season, when television ratings are up 38 percent on ABC, 28 percent on ESPN and 42 percent on TNT, when video views on NBA.com are up 140 percent from a year ago, when global merchandise sales are up 20 percent in the past 12 months, there can be no question that business is booming.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Kosher ...

Let's not forget the impact and influence of Jews in “the city game.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5kS_faczjKk

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/..._CityGame.html

Quoted from website above: "Today, the city game belongs to African-Americans. In the future, it will pass to Hispanics and other new immigrant groups."

The racial, and ethnic, makeup of "our game" has always evolved. Who would have guessed, fifty years ago, that teams from other continents would be able to compete with players that grew up in the country where basketball was born?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 16, 2011 at 02:01pm.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
There's plenty of horrible music in the rap genre...I won't deny it, but there's plenty of other crap in the other genres as well. I don't see those genres being blamed for the downfall of America.
I won't speak to many genres, but you make a good point. I personally put as much blame on heavy metal as I do rap: very little. I think these musical issues are more symptomatic than causative.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I HATE rap.

Guess what?

I also HATE country music.

When I watch the NBA, I watch it for entertainment value.

What's entertainemnt to me? A multi-millionaire getting stuck in the *** by a referee for acting like a spolied brat.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

New York, New York ...

Quote:
You must not have ever listened to much popular music in your life?
Love this: YouTube - "Empire State of Mind" Jay-Z | Alicia Keys [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 16, 2011 at 01:58pm.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 01:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Classic ...

Quote:
I like a good portion of R&B, Country (not Western, though).
http://www.youtube.com/v/cSZfUnCK5qk...s=1&autoplay=1

Closed Thread