The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Pain in Knee...advice?

Seeing as my injury occurred in the course of officiating, I figured who better to ask for advice than my officiating brethren.

Long story short...I felt the occasional pain in my knee during the high school season but I changed my insoles and that seemed to solve the problem. While working some games this past weekend, the pain returned big time. It's gotten to the point now where anything more than a slow jog makes my knee feel like it's going to explode, almost like the feeling you get when you really need to pop a knuckle but can't. The pain got so intense during my last game that I was reduced to hopping one footed on a trip down the floor and for the first time in my life I couldn't finish a game I started. I've got an appt with a doctor but that's not until next week, so I was looking to see what advice others might have, and if anyone has had this problem before. I'm taking ibuprofen for the pain, icing occassionally and trying to stay off it as much as possible for now, but I have a lot of games coming up on my schedule. Taking a break from officiating isn't really an option for me, as it is my only source of income (being a starving college student ) Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions? Thanks!
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 05:54am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
IMO your doing many things right - Doctor appointment, rest and medication.

But, the one thing you may be doing wrong,is taking the games and trying to battle your way through it.

While I certainly understand the financial aspects and admire your tenacity, nothing good can come from doing games on an injured leg - in fact, it could make it worse.

I wish you good luck.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

So you'll get one weekends worth of games in at the possible cost of a serious injury that will keep you out a year.

Typical short-sighted college student thinking.

(And I say that as the parent of two who just finished).
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

First of all, kudos to you.

Applying a learned craft to generate income while attending college is laudable, indeed-i don't think its short-sighted at all. When we are young we tend to think we are bullet-proof, and adopt the "it hurts now, but it'll be okay next week mantra."

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Is there swelling? If so, "ref candy", i.e. advil or aleve will help with the suppression of fluids.

Stretching helped me a lot last year; however, if it is meniscal in nature stretching probably won't help that much. Have you injured your knee before? ACL injuries that are unrepaired tend not to have near the impact when we are young, as a few years later.

I also use something called Bio-Freeze right before games, and at halftime. If it is muscular in nature, icy hot after games will help. However, if you are young, it is most likely structural.

Good on you, young college man; stay the course.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 10:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

You'd better take care of it now or it could get worse and turn into kneemonia!
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

as a coach with the luxury of a team trainer available their advice is, arrive early and see if teams trainer can treat it. our trainers will even wrap it, if necessary. i have had 11 knee surgeries. a good brace can help. SEE A DOCTOR!!
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 12:07pm

Because it comes and goes, it makes me wonder if you don't have a cartilage tear. Sometimes with a "bucket handle" tear of the meniscus, the tear can flop into the knee joint space (giving you extreme pain and difficulty fully flexing the knee) and a step or two later can flop out of the joint space leaving you nearly pain free. I had this exact same condition years ago, and what was the tipoff to me was when you said, "when you really need to pop a knuckle but can't."

To be honest, I'd stay off of it if I were you until you get it looked at.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Another thing to consider is you may have to work out more to strengthen the legs or knee (after you see a doctor of course) so this does not keep occurring. I think many times our problems can be attributed to lack of activity to make our bodies prepared for what the season will bring. I have found that when I have worked out with certain exercises, many of my minor problems went away. But still see a doctor and see if there are other problems. But if the injury is minor rest and then a certain level of exercise that might keep this problem at a minimum. Also my suggestion is to see a doctor that deals with sports medicine. A regular doctor might just tell you to do something that will allow you "function" and not get back on the court or do activities that are related to officiating. I had a similar problem when I pulled my hamstring some years ago.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
You'd better take care of it now or it could get worse and turn into kneemonia!
Wow... Every single thread you have to interject some sort of stupid comment. Kudos to you though.... This one might be the worst.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ref View Post
Wow... Every single thread you have to interject some sort of stupid comment. Kudos to you though.... This one might be the worst.
Mr. Ref, if you don't like Mark's posts, don't read them.

Mark keep up the levity.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

It's tough not to read them when they are in every single thread on the board.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Let me see - you have 15 posts here and I have over 11,000. When you hit 5000, then we'll talk. Oh wait - why don't you just put me on your ignore list and then you won't have to worry about chuckling here ever again. Of course, you'd also have to put BillyMac and a few others on it. I've got an idea - why don't you put everyone on it!

Oh yeah - welcome to the board.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 03:14pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Ouch One may think you are new to the board and have not had the pleasure (or pain) of seeing Mark's true side!

If you think these are bad wait till he gets new Meds!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 03:38pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Ouch One may think you are new to the board and have not had the pleasure (or pain) of seeing Mark's true side!

If you think these are bad wait till he gets new Meds!
Mark has a true side?

Bwahahahaha!
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
For the record Mark, your post made me chuckle.

I appreciate all the advice, and I will be turning back the games I have coming up. I dont want to ruin my officiating career when its barely started. The dr I am seeing specializes in sports medicine, so hopefully he can get me back to full speed. For those out there who speculated that it might be a cartilage issue/tear, do they generally require surgery or just rest?