The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 12:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Instead of us wondering if Mr. Adams liked the no-call or not, lets just ask big jake what he said.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 12:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7IronRef View Post
The officials get evaluated on every game. They review every play and get scores based on correct call and incorrect calls. It is likely it will be pointed out to them.

I agree it would have been OOO, agree that there is a difference between the two games, and I AGREE WITH THE NO-CALL (I would not have called it either).

I was just stating that I think the message will be referee to the end and there are two plays that might be used to get the message across. John Adams likes to make sure the message is clear.
It might and it might not. But I do not think anyone is going to go crazy over this not being called either. The game is over and the game was not in question. Maybe if the game was on the line yes, but it was not. I doubt this even makes a memo or a video in any way. If anything it might be said directly to the official at hand, but I doubt a big deal will be made out of it in any way.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Calling a travel (which it was) at this point would have only delayed. The Butler players would have been mad at that point. I understand officiating until the final buzzer, but not making the travel call had absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The officials get evaluated on every game. They review every play and get scores based on correct call and incorrect calls. It is likely it will be pointed out to them.

I agree it would have been OOO, agree that there is a difference between the two games, and I AGREE WITH THE NO-CALL (I would not have called it either).

I was just stating that I think the message will be referee to the end and there are two plays that might be used to get the message across. John Adams likes to make sure the message is clear.
Not likely. Any evaluator worth their salt will commend them for making a good decision to not call it.

As someone else said, right call, wrong time. Too may want to lose sight of the big picture and make calls without considering the context of the situation.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 03:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I worked a HS rec game just last month with a guy who made an almost identical call. Team A was up by 15 with about two seconds to go and A1 traveled in much the same manner as what happened in the UConn - Butler game. After the game, I asked him if he thought it was necessary to make that call and I thought his answer was very thoughtful. He said it was "automatic". He explained that his brain just automatically reacts to seeing a travel regardless of the game situation and he can't help but blow his whistle.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
He said it was "automatic". He explained that his brain just automatically reacts to seeing a travel regardless of the game situation and he can't help but blow his whistle.
Thats unfortunate

Its better to respond than react. Apparently at the higher levels, game managment (time, score & situation) does play into what call is or isnt made.
We were provided with a great example of that last night.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 04:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Its better to respond than react. Apparently at the higher levels, game managment (time, score & situation) does play into what call is or isnt made.
We were provided with a great example of that last night.
To me, this is like the ability to reach out of your area when you need to. It comes with experience. As the game itself slows down for an official, he/she becomes more capable of making these decisions on the fly.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

My favorite quote

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
--Emerson, from "Self-Reliance"
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I think Burr and company would recognize there's a difference between a travel with 1.5 seconds left in a 2 point game and a travel with 1.5 seconds left in a 12 point game.
That is the important factor. The context must be considered.

Last night neither Butler nor Connecticut cared about those last few seconds. In the Big East tournament Rutgers and St. John's were still playing.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did anyone else notice that with about 1.5 seconds left in the game that the UConn player, who was holding the ball waiting for time to expire, picked up his dribble and jumped coming back to the floor with the ball?

Everyone wanted a pound of flesh from Burr and company. I wonder what Adams thought.

Pretty sure we will see those two plays next year at the preseason meetings. Referee until the end.

Good grief...who cares? The game was all but over. No need to make a call in that sitch when the Butler players are walking off the floor.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have had a play like that and I reacted slowly and by the time I blew the whistle the game was over.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Good grief...who cares? The game was all but over. No need to make a call in that sitch when the Butler players are walking off the floor.
About the only thing that should have been called at that point would be an intentional or flagrant foul.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2011, 11:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I had a player roll the ball in my direction with about 7 seconds left in a 30 point game this season. Ball was heading out of bounds. I stopped it with my foot so it wouldn't go out of bounds -- the players were already shaking hands.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 07:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I had a player roll the ball in my direction with about 7 seconds left in a 30 point game this season. Ball was heading out of bounds. I stopped it with my foot so it wouldn't go out of bounds -- the players were already shaking hands.
I had a player throw me the ball and I just knocked it back at them. They looked at me kinda funny. Also had one where the ball was rolling towards me and I just stopped it with my foot like you did.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2011, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hear what you are saying, but Adams has made it clear. If it is a violation at the beginning of the game, it is a violation at the end.

No one is complaining (including me), but if he doesn't hold them accountable, I would believe that Burr & Co would be wondering why they were reprimanded for not calling a travel/OOB and not last nights crew.

We are getting to the point where everyone demands that all things are treated equally.
Reprimanded...? Didn't Burr work the NCAA tournament?