The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Referee to the end - UConn v Butler (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/66304-referee-end-uconn-v-butler.html)

7IronRef Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:59am

Referee to the end - UConn v Butler

Did anyone else notice that with about 1.5 seconds left in the game that the UConn player, who was holding the ball waiting for time to expire, picked up his dribble and jumped coming back to the floor with the ball?

Everyone wanted a pound of flesh from Burr and company. I wonder what Adams thought.

Pretty sure we will see those two plays next year at the preseason meetings. Referee until the end.

grunewar Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:07am

Seriously?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7IronRef (Post 747091)
Did anyone else notice that with about 1.5 seconds left in the game that the UConn player, who was holding the ball waiting for time to expire, picked up his dribble and jumped coming back to the floor with the ball?

Everyone wanted a pound of flesh from Burr and company. I wonder what Adams thought.

Pretty sure we will see those two plays next year at the preseason meetings. Referee until the end.

I saw it.

What are you going to do, blow your whitstle and call a travel?

C'mon, man.

7IronRef Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 747097)
I saw it.

What are you going to do, blow your whitstle and call a travel?

C'mon, man.

I hear what you are saying, but Adams has made it clear. If it is a violation at the beginning of the game, it is a violation at the end.

No one is complaining (including me), but if he doesn't hold them accountable, I would believe that Burr & Co would be wondering why they were reprimanded for not calling a travel/OOB and not last nights crew.

We are getting to the point where everyone demands that all things are treated equally.

Adam Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7IronRef (Post 747104)
I hear what you are saying, but Adams has made it clear. If it is a violation at the beginning of the game, it is a violation at the end.

No one is complaining (including me), but if he doesn't hold them accountable, I would believe that Burr & Co would be wondering why they were reprimanded for not calling a travel/OOB and not last nights crew.

We are getting to the point where everyone demands that all things are treated equally.

I think Burr and company would recognize there's a difference between a travel with 1.5 seconds left in a 2 point game and a travel with 1.5 seconds left in a 12 point game.

I doubt they're juvenile enough to respond with, "Hey, but look at what they did!"

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7IronRef (Post 747104)

"Everyone" or you?

That would be the absolute apex of OOO imo.

We also are at the point where a little common sense is needed too. There is absolutely NO comparison between the two situations. One affected the game; the other one if called wouldn't even affect the point spread, let alone anything else. I doubt very much whether Adams has even thought of whether a violation should have been called in that particular circumstance.

JRutledge Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:48am

Seriously????

Peace

Indianaref Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:52am

Quote:

Hey 7iron, you should have used a 5 iron because you are way short on this.

tref Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:06pm

Quote:

Ever hear of the saying "right call, wrong time"
I think the travel fits this situation.

7IronRef Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:12pm

JR, Rut, Snaq, InRef

The officials get evaluated on every game. They review every play and get scores based on correct call and incorrect calls. It is likely it will be pointed out to them.

I agree it would have been OOO, agree that there is a difference between the two games, and I AGREE WITH THE NO-CALL (I would not have called it either).

I was just stating that I think the message will be referee to the end and there are two plays that might be used to get the message across. John Adams likes to make sure the message is clear.

Raymond Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14pm

I think, if anything, you'll see a memo for the coaches to have their players to cease from these kinda actions at the end of games.

Adam Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7IronRef (Post 747125)
The officials get evaluated on every game. They review every play and get scores based on correct call and incorrect calls. It is likely it will be pointed out to them.

I agree it would have been OOO, agree that there is a difference between the two games, and I AGREE WITH THE NO-CALL (I would not have called it either).

I was just stating that I think the message will be referee to the end and there are two plays that might be used to get the message across. John Adams likes to make sure the message is clear.

I think Adams has plenty of video in the Burr/Higgins/Walton game, he won't need to use this video. Otherwise, you'll start seeing officials make this call. BNR's right, if anything, it'll be a coaching memo to get the players to stop making the officials have to make this decision. If that doesn't work; maybe then he'll want this call made.

Maybe, but doubtful.

grunewar Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:22pm

Maybe the biggest stage.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 747132)
BNR's right, if anything, it'll be a coaching memo to get the players to stop making the officials have to make this decision. If that doesn't work; maybe then he'll want this call made.

Maybe, but doubtful.

but not the first time I've seen it.

Heck I've seen players put the ball on their hip and go shake hands or hug their opponent with the last few ticks just a tickin away.........

JugglingReferee Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:23pm

Quote:

I saw it. And I passed on it.

JugglingReferee Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 747114)
Hey 7iron, you should have used a 5 iron because you are way short on this.

LMAO! Fantastic.

tref Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:34pm

Instead of us wondering if Mr. Adams liked the no-call or not, lets just ask big jake what he said.