The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 31, 2011, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I do agree with those of you who feel that if you have a shot clock, there's no need to have a 10 second back court rule, so maybe we can include the five second rule in that same argument.
I don't agree with getting rid of the 10 second count. If you have a shot clock I actually believe we should make it a hard count like the NBA rather than start a new count if the ball goes out of bounds or the coach/player buys his team out of a violation and calls for timeout.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Mar 31, 2011, 08:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
I've noticed repeatedly that in order to maintain the closely guarded count, the defender has to be almost on top of the offensive player. If he's 4-6' away, officials almost exclusively give the "safe" sign. Seems like no one has any interest in adhering to this rule.
You are really upset by this?

I hope when those come to watch your games they can see any little thing you do not call (by there standard).

Peace
Old Thu Mar 31, 2011, 09:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Guy Has Got It Down Pat ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
"Safe" sign?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 31, 2011, 11:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

O......M........Goooooooooodddddddddd!!!!!!!

Peace
Old Thu Mar 31, 2011, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

BillyMac...this is the one time I'm glad you actually posted a video. I thought we had lost that gem of a video forever whenever the uploader made it private.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

This video just made my Friday morning.....!
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 06:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Today's Lesson Class: The Not Closely Guarded Signal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
BillyMac, this is the one time I'm glad you actually posted a video. I thought we had lost that gem of a video forever whenever the uploader made it private.
It's educational, how to properly execute the not closely guarded signal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 08:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's educational, how to properly execute the not closely guarded signal.
Especially when the players are about 10-15' apart. But, he gets right on it when they get close doesn't he?!

Thanks for sharing.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 09:40am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Yikes! This forum is usually focused on making rulings by the book, not based on what people tune in to see. Nobody is tuning in to see 3-seconds violations or fouls 94-feet from the basket with 0.7 seconds left. That doesn't mean they don't get called.

But that's really my observation. It certainly looks as if officials have been told not to make this kind of call. I also agree it's less necessary in college than NFHS due to the shot clock, but it's still a NCAA-M rule. If they're not going to call it, change the distance like NCAA-W or do away with it?

And it's not a comment about the quality of the officiating overall, just something I noticed on this situation specifically.
The people who attend games and yell "3 Seconds" beg to disagree.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

He is a clown. Were I in his association I would block him. I would not want to be on the same court with anyone working so hard to draw attention to himself.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yikes! This forum is usually focused on making rulings by the book, not based on what people tune in to see. Nobody is tuning in to see 3-seconds violations or fouls 94-feet from the basket with 0.7 seconds left. That doesn't mean they don't get called.

But that's really my observation. It certainly looks as if officials have been told not to make this kind of call. I also agree it's less necessary in college than NFHS due to the shot clock, but it's still a NCAA-M rule. If they're not going to call it, change the distance like NCAA-W or do away with it?

And it's not a comment about the quality of the officiating overall, just something I noticed on this situation specifically.

I agree with you that 6' closely doesn't seemed to be monitored with the same dilegence we are asked to do at the HS level.

But apparently the NCAA is not too concerned with this particular call as I've never seen it emphasized at any college-level venue I've been a part of.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
He is a clown. Were I in his association I would block him. I would not want to be on the same court with anyone working so hard to draw attention to himself.
It's definitely an exercise in what NOT to do. I'd probably be weary if I had to work a game with an official as...umm..."individual" as such.

Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You are really upset by this?

I hope when those come to watch your games they can see any little thing you do not call (by there standard).

Peace
Who said anything about being upset? It's an observation, not about one official, but about NCAA M officials across the board, leading me to conclude that it must be specifically discouraged at that level. I've never heard that, thus my post. Some appear to agree.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2011, 12:32pm
Esteemed Participant

In no way am I trying to speak for the officials working the tournaments, but what I was always instructed to do was to not have a CG count unless there was active guarding going on...in other words, just because there is a member of the other team standing there within 6 feet, does not mean we have a CG count. Many of the situations I have seen in the tournament would fall into that category.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2011, 04:42pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NCAAW or NCAAM ???

I am late to this thread but:

NFHS and NCAA Men's: six (6) feet while dribbling or holding the ball in the Front Court (FC).

FIBA and NCAA Women's: three (3) feet while holding the ball anywhere on the Playing Court (both Front and Back Court). Note: BC = Back Court.

The NCAA Women's rule was a FIBA adoption holdover from the NAGWS Rules. FIBA has continued to have the rule apply to the entire Playing Court even after it adopted the Ten Second Backcourt Rule (subsequently reduced to eight seconds when the NBA/WNBA went to eight seconds); the Ten/Eight Second Back Rule is a fairly recent adoption by FIBA.

Regarding both NFHS and NCAA Men's I would rather see the rule be three feet while holding the ball only in the FC.

MTD, Sr.

History Lesson: NAGWS stands for the National Association for Girls and Women in Sports. This organization still exists and use to right the rules for many sports played by girls and women at the high school and college level. The NAGWS Basketball Rules were the precurser to the NCAA Women's Basketball Rules Committee.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio