The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 05:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
In response to Kobe Bryant's recent homopathic slur and allegations that the NBE administers different penalties for superstars versus the scrubbies, the NBE head office issued a press release today condemning Kobe's actions. They also announced that as a result of Kobe's heinous actions, the Lakers' Steve Blake would be suspended for 5 games and fined $50,000(which will go to a charity of Kobe's choosing).

It's true, it's true......
Blake would not be fined because the camera (nor half the people in the league) no that he is on the Lakers.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 05:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Since this thread is for all things baseball, I thought I'd just mention something you may find interesting about something from the past. I think I may have mentioned this before, but here goes anyway.

I'm sure you all are somewhat familiar with the name "Jim Bouton". Besides being an accomplished author of a book that "exposed" baseball, he was a very successful MLB pitcher, winning World Series games for the Yankees. However, when he was in HS (the same HS I attended, but about eight years earlier than me) he was not the #1 pitcher in the HS baseball team rotation. He was #2. The guy who was ahead of him was another guy whose name may be familiar to you - Jerry Colangelo. Yep - the guy who became a front office leader and franchise owner was rated as a better pitcher back in HS. I went through HS with Jerry's younger sister and I met him a few times back then. I also met Bouton a few years ago when he was doing some promotions for the minor league baseball team here in Portland - the Mavericks.

Anyway - I just thought I'd throw that in. Oh yeah - when I was a kid playing park district baseball (my town didn't have "official" Little League), White Sox third baseman Pete Ward once came to our ballpark to do a demonstration on hitting. I was one of the kids chosen to pitch to him. He hit one of my pitches so far out of the park, it landed across the highway and hit a pump at a gas station, breaking the glass on the meter. It must have traveled well over 450 feet. No wonder I played shortstop.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2011, 08:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Mr. Jurassic, Sir......

Quote:
In response to Kobe Bryant's recent homopathic slur and allegations that the NBE administers different penalties for superstars versus the scrubbies, the NBE head office issued a press release today condemning Kobe's actions. They also announced that as a result of Kobe's heinous actions, the Lakers' Steve Blake would be suspended for 5 games and fined $50,000(which will go to a charity of Kobe's choosing).

It's true, it's true......
Why would you possibly post this OT basketball story in a n OT baseball thread in the basketball forum. I just don't get it?

Where are the monitors? This has got to stop!
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 04:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Johnny Damon is now on pace for a 40 HR-120 RBI season. Not bad for a .222 hitter.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 04:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Johnny Damon is now on pace for a 40 HR-120 RBI season. Not bad for a .222 hitter.
Good thing you got this thread back on track so quickly. I just hope grune wasn't holding his breath....
Old Wed Apr 20, 2011, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

This might be the choke of the young season. KC pitcher has a perfect game through 5 innings. In the 6th he balks twice and gives up 4 runs, to lose the game.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2011, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Document hints Chicago Cubs threw 1918 World Series to Boston Red Sox - ESPN Chicago

Cubs threw 1918 World Series?
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Yes, it's true that no team that started 0-6 has ever won the World Series, and it's true that the Sox are still last in the division at 8-11, but they've now won 3 in a row -- and on the road! The last time through the rotation, the starting pitching has looked great. And the bats might be waking up (although Crawford is struggling). With the O's taking a dive, the Jays being the Jays, the Rays hoping that 82-year-old Johnny Damon will carry their offense for the whole year, and Mariano blowing saves. . . it's not looking too bad for the Red Sox!
Old Sat Apr 23, 2011, 03:30pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias View Post
Yes, it's true that no team that started 0-6 has ever won the World Series, and it's true that the Sox are still last in the division at 8-11, but they've now won 3 in a row -- and on the road! The last time through the rotation, the starting pitching has looked great. And the bats might be waking up (although Crawford is struggling). With the O's taking a dive, the Jays being the Jays, the Rays hoping that 82-year-old Johnny Damon will carry their offense for the whole year, and Mariano blowing saves. . . it's not looking too bad for the Red Sox!
3 more RBI for the old man today, as Price won his 3rd straight & Farnsworth got his 5th save. Garza throw-in Fuld did well again, too.
Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Bye-bye Anaheim.

Four straight. Even Lackey looks great. We're finally warming up. . .
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 02:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Bye bye baseball

No, I'm not alluding to a home run. What I'm referring to is that for the first time since 1902, the town of Portland, Oregon will not have a professional baseball team. We have had either a AAA or a class A pro team here every season since then. Not this season. In fact, the baseball stadium has been converted into a soccer stadium to accommodate the new MLS team in town.

Of course we can still watch on cable as we get a lot of Mariners games (who cares?), plus all the games on espn, TNT and on WGN from Chicago, so we can keep up with the White Sox and the Scrubs, but it's not the same as going out to the park and eating peanuts and cracker jack.

A 108 year old tradition bites the dust.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 03:43pm
In Memoriam

And in other sporting news, Ohio State just met the requirements to have their football program join the SEC.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Condolences ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
What I'm referring to is that for the first time since 1902, the town of Portland, Oregon will not have a professional baseball team. We have had either a AAA or a class A pro team here every season since then.
I have always enjoyed minor league baseball here in Connecticut. The West Haven Yankees back in the 1970's. Later, the Bristol Red Sox, who became the New Britain Red Sox, who became the New Britain Rock Cats (Twins). I can't imagine going through a whole summer without taking in a few minor league games. Can't beat the prices.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And in other sporting news, Ohio State just met the requirements to have their football program join the SEC.
Wait for it...
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
No, I'm not alluding to a home run. What I'm referring to is that for the first time since 1902, the town of Portland, Oregon will not have a professional baseball team. We have had either a AAA or a class A pro team here every season since then. Not this season. In fact, the baseball stadium has been converted into a soccer stadium to accommodate the new MLS team in town.

Of course we can still watch on cable as we get a lot of Mariners games (who cares?), plus all the games on espn, TNT and on WGN from Chicago, so we can keep up with the White Sox and the Scrubs, but it's not the same as going out to the park and eating peanuts and cracker jack.

A 108 year old tradition bites the dust.
We have AAA baseball in Reno. I enjoy it immensely, but I'd rather have MLS. In fact, I'm headed to Portland this weekend to watch the RSL/Timbers game. I hear that the stadium is wonderful. Saw the first home game on ESPN about 10 days ago. Great crowd!