The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
WARNING! NOT a pre-season annual baseball thread!! (with apologies to you-know-who)

I don't mean to steal Chuckie's thunder and start up a baseball thread before he comes out of hiding to walk be carried down from the mountaintop and thrill us once more with his not insignificant presence and the annual off-topic baseball extravaganza...but...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Damn, I was all excited when I saw the "WARNING...baseball..."

I saw that today when ESPN was broadcasting the Boston/Tampa Bay pre-season game, because the start was apparently delayed for an hour because of this "dispute". Here's my question: all of the staff that was supposed to go, coaches, trainers, etc., do they normally go on regular-season road trips? And, if they do, doesn't the team usually pay for their travel? So, is this dispute over an additional $40,000 "appearance fee" per person? Or did these people assume baseball or the team was paying for the trip, and they just recently found out they were going to have to pay for it out of their own pocket?

If it's the latter, I agree with the "walkout". If it's the former, then staff are getting as spoiled as the players.

And, until what-his-name comes down from the mountain, I'll avoid saying "Go Cubbies!" in this thread.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 02:07pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,661
I get sick of seeing the Red Sox in the news.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I get sick of seeing the Red Sox in the news.
Edited for clarity
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 03:41pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
Edited for clarity
Thanks...no rap against their acccomplishments on the field, but off the field they have more manufactured drama than a season's worth of Survivor episodes.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Damn, I was all excited when I saw the "WARNING...baseball..."

I saw that today when ESPN was broadcasting the Boston/Tampa Bay pre-season game, because the start was apparently delayed for an hour because of this "dispute". Here's my question: all of the staff that was supposed to go, coaches, trainers, etc., do they normally go on regular-season road trips? And, if they do, doesn't the team usually pay for their travel? So, is this dispute over an additional $40,000 "appearance fee" per person? Or did these people assume baseball or the team was paying for the trip, and they just recently found out they were going to have to pay for it out of their own pocket?
I read it as per diem... walking around money... sushi's expensive ya know.
Quote:

And, until what-his-name comes down from the mountain, I'll avoid saying "Go Cubbies!" in this thread.
Must be almost spring... the Cubs fans aren't suicidal yet.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 04:12pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Must be almost spring... the Cubs fans aren't suicidal yet.
Some are, I'm sure.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 04:14pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Must be almost spring... the Cubs fans aren't suicidal yet.
And in related spring training news today, Kerry Wood went down with back spasms. The good news is that it's minor; he's only expected to be out until November.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 04:17pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,781
From what I have read, in previous years the coaches were paid the same compensation as the players and managers. Everybody thought this was the case this year and then it was discovered that the coaches from both teams would not be compensated like the players and managers. So the Red Sox decided to take a stand to defend the coaches from both the Athletics and the Red Sox. For once the players took a stand that was for the benefit of others.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Ump. Assn.
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I read it as per diem... walking around money... sushi's expensive ya know.
Yea I know, but I don't get it. You spend more time cooking it, and it's worth less?

I gathered it was something like that, but it wasn't clear was if it was $40,000 to cover the entire staff, or $40,000 for each staff member. It was clear, however, that the players were already getting theirs, but this issue had to do with the money for the coaches and staff, and the players were backing the staff. And, also to be fair, it sounds like the A's were having the same issues.

Either way, if my company was paying for me to go to Japan, I could probably afford to pay for my own sushi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Must be almost spring... the Cubs fans aren't suicidal yet.
Hope springs eternal.
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And in related spring training news today, Kerry Wood went down with back spasms. The good news is that it's minor; he's only expected to be out until November.
Shut up.

(Oh, btw - what's the "E" stand for? Ever-lovin'?)
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy

Hope springs eternal through April.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 04:31pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Shut up.

(Oh, btw - what's the "E" stand for? Ever-lovin'?)
His title seems to be getting longer and longer, doesn't it? Who authorized that? I don't remember a vote. If there was one, I demand a recount. If there was one, I demand a re-vote.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
His title seems to be getting longer and longer, doesn't it? Who authorized that? I don't remember a vote. If there was one, I demand a recount. If there was one, I demand a re-vote.
Sorry. Your vote doesn't count - you voted too early.

But I feel a poll coming on...
__________________
M&M's - The Official Candy of the Department of Redundancy Department.

(Used with permission.)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 04:39pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Sorry. Your vote doesn't count - you voted too early.
I feel so, disenfranchised.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warning!! Danger!! Annual Off-topic Baseball Thread '07!! Beware!! ChuckElias Basketball 1764 Wed Jan 30, 2008 03:32pm
Warning!! Danger!! Annual Off-topic Hockey Thread '07!! Beware!! canuckrefguy Basketball 41 Fri Apr 20, 2007 09:23pm
WARNING!! Annual Off-Topic Baseball Thread. Esteemed Members BEWARE!! ChuckElias Basketball 1299 Sat Mar 31, 2007 07:58pm
WARNING!!! WARNING!! Annual off-topic baseball thread!! ChuckElias Basketball 583 Sat Jan 21, 2006 05:28pm
WARNING!! ANNUAL OFF TOPIC BASEBALL THREAD!!! Dan_ref Basketball 16 Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:32pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1