The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 03:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
and the game is won in the bottom of the 10th by the Nats on a bases loaded walk-off, hit batter!

*A few years ago we were at the Brewers vs Nats game and the Nats won on a game ending walk-off, wild pitch! Guess it's me.......
When I was a little kid on the South Side of Chicago, I was at a White Sox game with my dad (I think on a Saturday afternoon) and the Sox won on a walk-off balk! My dad had to explain it to me. I don't remember who they were playing, but it might have been the Tigers. Not sure. This was in the 50s.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 03:35pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Top of the ninth, Nats at Reds, Nick Masset pitching for Reds against Rick Ankiel with Jason Werth on first.

Masset is in his stretch and as he is bringing the ball from behind his back to his glove, he drops the ball and it rolls off the mound! BALK!

His forth balk of the yr...... Weird.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 09:10am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Top of the ninth, Nats at Reds, Nick Masset pitching for Reds against Rick Ankiel with Jason Werth on first.

Masset is in his stretch and as he is bringing the ball from behind his back to his glove, he drops the ball and it rolls off the mound! BALK!

His forth balk of the yr...... Weird.
Which is it?
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just got home from Arizona and LA, just in time for a Sox/Yanks series!! Woo-hoo! Too bad Lackey's pitching tonight, tho

Hey, Nevada, if you see this, drop me a line. Your PM box is full.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2011, 10:07am
Aleve Titles to Others

Nice job by Jeremy Hellickson last night with a 97 pitch complete game. ERA under 3.00. He should be ROY in the AL.
Old Tue Sep 06, 2011, 07:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

He's Back Baby!

Tonight, our phenom Stephen Strasburg returned to the mound after missing just over a yr after Tommy John Surgery. He was on a pitch count. Tale of the tape:

5 complete innings
56 pitches, 40 strikes
2 hits, 4 K's, 0 BB's

The announcers, fans, and mgt are just giddy!!

PS - Last yr the Nats averaged 13,000 more fans/game when Strasburg Pitched.

PSS - All of his foreseeable starts for the yr are scheduled to be at home.

PSSS - I have tix for Sunday, his next scheduled start.....weather permitting.

Last edited by grunewar; Tue Sep 06, 2011 at 08:33pm.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2011, 04:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Tonight, our phenom Stephen Strasburg returned to the mound after missing just over a yr after Tommy John Surgery. He was on a pitch count. Tale of the tape:

5 complete innings
56 pitches, 40 strikes
2 hits, 4 K's, 0 BB's

The announcers, fans, and mgt are just giddy!!

PS - Last yr the Nats averaged 13,000 more fans/game when Strasburg Pitched.

PSS - All of his foreseeable starts for the yr are scheduled to be at home.

PSSS - I have tix for Sunday, his next scheduled start.....weather permitting.
...who should be in the HOF.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

So in Spring Training, the Red Sox were touted as the best AL team since the Yankees won 120 games in '98. They were going to win 100 games and roll to (and most likely win) the World Series.

Then the season started. They went 2-8.

Then they got to Fenway. They won roughly 73 in a row and made the Spring Training prognosticators look like geniuses.

Now they get hammered by Toronto and get swept by Tampa Bay. They're only 3.5 ahead of Tampa now for the wild card.

Crazy.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 08:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Just back from the Astro's vs Nats game.

Beautiful, sunny 9/11 day. Disappointing crowd (read, first week of NFL season).

Strasburg on the mound - not sharp. Davey Johnson only lets him go three innings. Said he didn't have his best stuff and didn't want to have to get him in the middle of an inning? Really?

Nats win 8-2 as they hit back, to back, to back HR's! NICE!

Good day at the ball park!

Last edited by grunewar; Mon Sep 12, 2011 at 05:09am.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2011, 09:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Rays have the SPs to finish well. Price has learned the change-up from Shields and has been more effective in the past few starts. Davis & Hellickson have been able to go deep lately. And they have 4 more in Boston right around the corner while the Sox pitching staff is a mess. They have a much more difficult schedule down the stretch than Boston, but if they win, they're in.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Wakefield finally gets his 200th win (thanks to amazing run support for once), but is overshadowed by Mariano's 600th save. Rays finally lose a game, giving the Sox some wild card breathing room.

Phillies stumble a little (against the worst team in the league), but I still think they're the favorite to make the World Series. Tigers, and Verlander, are en fuego -- and would have had Mick smiling big right about now.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Ellsbury becomes the first 30/30 player in Red Sox history by hitting a 14th inning homer to lift the Sox a full game over TB for the wild card. Wow! One full game? Yeesh.

Now they go to finish up in Baltimore (who just beat them up at Fenway) while the Rays host the Yankees, who have nothing to play for. Although, if I were the Yankees, I think I'd rather play hard and hope to get the Sox in the first round of the playoffs, than rest up and possibly face Tampa Bay's pitching in a 5-game series.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias View Post
Now they go to finish up in Baltimore (who just beat them up at Fenway) while the Rays host the Yankees, who have nothing to play for. Although, if I were the Yankees, I think I'd rather play hard and hope to get the Sox in the first round of the playoffs, than rest up and possibly face Tampa Bay's pitching in a 5-game series.
Did they change the rule that prevented teams from the same division from meeting in the first round of the playoffs? I didn't think the Yankees could see either Boston or TB in the first round.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Did they change the rule that prevented teams from the same division from meeting in the first round of the playoffs? I didn't think the Yankees could see either Boston or TB in the first round.
You are apparently correct. I thought they had changed the rule, but have been corrected by a couple esteemed members.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 06:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kidding ??? Right ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias View Post
Have been corrected by a couple esteemed members.
mbyron? An esteemed member?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)