The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Nats/Sox game Friday nite. Close, decisive OUT!!! call by 1B ump, PU rushes out and conferences w/ all umps. After a few minutes of browbeating, calling ump sheepishly changes call to SAFE.
Is this an accepted practice in MLB?
Did the 1B Ump ask for help?
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Red Sox manage to steal one game from the mighty Pirates. Sheesh. I'll be out of town for a while, so keep this thing going.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2011, 10:15pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Rays got both extra points after the TDs, and managed to hold Houston to a FG, TD & PAT. Damon with 4 hits to get within 3 of Teddy Ballgame. (The 5 1/2 years in Teddy's prime would likely have meant that Aaron would have broken HIS record). And Longoria hit two homers and looks to be getting untracked.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 01:25pm
M.A.S.H.

I visited Rangers Ballpark at Alrington and Minute Maid Park over the weekend as I continue my journey to watch a game in every MLB stadium. With those two, I have now been to 21 stadiums.

The game Saturday at Alrington was a beating (Mets over Rangers, big).

Sunday in Houston (vs. Rays) was fun... it was a complete slug fest. The 5th inning was the only inning where either team didn't score. Due to this we had to take off in the 9th inning to catch our flight back home. All-in-all, it was another great baseball weekend!

Next on the schedule in September: Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington. Certainly looking forward to it!!

Last edited by tjones1; Mon Jun 27, 2011 at 01:35pm.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Had you gone to Safeco over the weekend instead, you could have seen one of the only (modern) games ever played without a DH in an AL stadium. The series was odd in a host of other ways, too.

Mariners Vs. Marlins: A Weird Series With A Bizarre Ending That Few Saw - Baseball Nation
Old Mon Jun 27, 2011, 04:13pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I visited Rangers Ballpark at Alrington and Minute Maid Park over the weekend as I continue my journey to watch a game in every MLB stadium. With those two, I have now been to 21 stadiums.

The game Saturday at Alrington was a beating (Mets over Rangers, big).

Sunday in Houston (vs. Rays) was fun... it was a complete slug fest. The 5th inning was the only inning where either team didn't score. Due to this we had to take off in the 9th inning to catch our flight back home. All-in-all, it was another great baseball weekend!

Next on the schedule in September: Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington. Certainly looking forward to it!!
Wait! They let you check PODS at the ticket counter?
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 05:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I visited Rangers Ballpark at Arlington and Minute Maid Park over the weekend as I continue my journey to watch a game in every MLB stadium. With those two, I have now been to 21 stadiums.
Uber cool! I've been to a lot of parks myself, but am not on a quest like this. Nice!

Quote:
I enjoy both Camden Yards and Nats Park. Fortunately for you, unfortunately for them, those are three stadiums you don't have to worry about getting tickets for - there are plenty available!

I've got several games lined up later in the year too, and am hoping my Phils vs Nats game in Aug (with my relatives from Phila) is actually competitive and means something in the standings this yr!

Enjoy your travels TJ!
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 09:03pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Longoria with the walk-off HR tonight. Too bad Price didn't get the W.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2011, 07:25am
Aleve Titles to Others

Anyone else notice that the scoreboard operator cost the Mariners the game last night? A home game, too.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2011, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Anyone else notice that the scoreboard operator cost the Mariners the game last night? A home game, too.
There's no video of it, but the game highlights have the announcers saying "2-2 pitch... is a ball, 3-2 pitch, he walked him," so I'm guessing that's the confusion. You sure it was the scoreboard that was wrong?
Old Sun Jul 03, 2011, 09:23am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
There's no video of it, but the game highlights have the announcers saying "2-2 pitch... is a ball, 3-2 pitch, he walked him," so I'm guessing that's the confusion. You sure it was the scoreboard that was wrong?
The news reports are saying that the scoreboard had the count wrong. That the board went from 1-2 to 3-2 on one pitch. But the plate umpire is supposed to be keeping his own count, so he can't really blame it on the scoreboard.
Old Sun Jul 03, 2011, 10:34am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
The news reports are saying that the scoreboard had the count wrong. That the board went from 1-2 to 3-2 on one pitch. But the plate umpire is supposed to be keeping his own count, so he can't really blame it on the scoreboard.
But WE can!
Old Sun Jul 03, 2011, 11:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Disputed run gives San Diego 1-0 win over Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
San Diego vs. Seattle - Recap - July 2, 2011
Old Sun Jul 03, 2011, 11:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Easy As 1 2 3, As Simple As Do Re Mi, A B C, 1 2 3 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
This incident reminds me of this:

Fifth Down Game (1990) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's why basketball officials say, "When the ball is dead, we must be alive".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 03, 2011 at 11:38am.
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 04:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

The Nats won today on a wild pitch in the 10th inning.

What I found interesting about their latest improbable win (they can't hit), is this is the second time in recent weeks the opponents closer became injured in mid-inning. Both times, a reliever came in from the bullpen and might not have taken as many warmup throws as he should/could (in the case of an injury they can take as many as they like - brovado maybe?) and they didn't. Both times it might have lead to their victory (the other time the pitcher seemed to have no velocity and gave up several hits).

Regardless, we're still not in the basement and playing .500 ball -a good season for us!