The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 06:15pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias View Post
So I guess nobody's contributing to the thread this year. Because if any Yankees fans were regulars here (Dan, Jurassic. . .), this would surely have been mentioned. (Insert "Airplane" joke here.)

Against the Rangers on June 15, all 4 Yankee infielders (Teixeira, Cano, Pena, Nunez) hit home runs. It's only the second time in franchise history that this has happened -- the other time being in 1939! Texas Rangers vs. New York Yankees - Recap - June 15, 2011 - ESPN

Meanwhile, Cleveland has fallen down and they can't up, giving up a 7 game lead in their division (and the best record in the AL) within about 3 weeks. That best record is now held by my Sox for the time being; whose game today, by the way, was moved from 1 pm to a night game so it wouldn't interfere with the rolling rally for the STANLEY CUP CHAMPION BOSTON BRUINS!!!!

Chuck:

As a native of Youngstown, Ohio (exactly half way between Cleveland and Pittsburgh on the Ohio Turnpike) I have been a New York Yankees fan first, a Cleveland Indians fan second, and a Pittsburgh Pirates fan third. Thanks to division play it is much easier for me to root for both the Yankees and Indians because they can both win the division.

Last night was a good night because the Yankees and Indians both won , BUT the dreaded Red Sox won also .

Have a good weekend and Father's Day!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 06:41pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs up

Quote:
So I guess nobody's contributing to the thread this year.
Hey, I'm still here.....because I actually have something to talk about, finally!

How bout those Washington Nationals? Winners of eight in a row and in third place (read, not in the basement!) They're 4-0 since Ryan Zimmerman came off the DL.

This last week they have been fun to watch as this young team is finally, finally playing up to their potential. Not hitting for avg as a team yet, but they pitch pretty well and ride the long ball. The manager has been batting the pitcher in the eighth spot during this streak and having their normal number three hitter (Jason Werth) lead off. Hey, they're winning......

Playing the O's during "Beltway Series," there are even 35,000 in the seats this weekend which is great for us.

With the US Open also in town, and the weather relatively nice, it's actually a good sports weekend for your Nation's Capital!
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 10:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Fascinating tidbit of the day.

Red Sox give up the first unearned leadoff homerun in 40 years.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Cardinals - Ouch !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Hey, I'm still here.....because I actually have something to talk about, finally!

How bout those Washington Nationals? Winners of eight in a row and in third place (read, not in the basement!) They're 4-0 since Ryan Zimmerman came off the DL.

With the US Open also in town, and the weather relatively nice, it's actually a good sports weekend for your Nation's Capital!
Your Nats certainly took care of my Cards when they were in town. The losses were due more to the fact that I wasn't able to attend this year. Not so much!! However, I like to see the Nats doing well.

Yahooooooo - my pick for the US Open is Mr. McIlroy!! However, he ain't won nuthin yet. And, neither have I.
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

The Tribe has resumed their winning ways thanks to Pirates pitching, with (just) 2 in a row. Apparently the wins in this streak must all be earned with a score of 5-1
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 03:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Shields with another CG win. And Dempsey didn't miss a wide open net this time.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2011, 04:02am
9/11 - Never Forget

Catcher Wilson Ramos WHACKS a three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, as the NATS beat the Mariners in improbable fashion. This is their largest comeback in the ninth in club history and the closest they've been to .500 ball this late in the season since 2005.

The town is a buzzzzzz!
Old Thu Jun 23, 2011, 07:05pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Argh!

So, after all these years of futility and embarrassment, we finally appear to have our NATS pointing in the right direction.....and the manager quits in mid-season with the team playing its best ball in years.......go figure!
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
So, after all these years of futility and embarrassment, we finally appear to have our NATS pointing in the right direction.....and the manager quits in mid-season with the team playing its best ball in years.......go figure!
Wow, I hadn't even heard that until just now. That's a stunner. How cheap is that team if they won't pick up a $600,000 option for next year?!? Riggleman has done a darn good job there and has been working on a year-to-year basis since he took over 2 years ago -- he's never had a multi-year deal in DC. So he wants a little (and very little, to be honest) security in the form of one more guaranteed year at $600k and the team says no. Wow.

And here I was upset that the Sox lost 2 of 3 to San Diego!
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't even heard that until just now. That's a stunner. How cheap is that team if they won't pick up a $600,000 option for next year?!? Riggleman has done a darn good job there and has been working on a year-to-year basis since he took over 2 years ago -- he's never had a multi-year deal in DC. So he wants a little (and very little, to be honest) security in the form of one more guaranteed year at $600k and the team says no. Wow.

And here I was upset that the Sox lost 2 of 3 to San Diego!
600K? But hell, that's like 20% of their payroll!

Speaking as one small market fan to another, grune.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 01:38pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
As an Expos fan, I have absolutely no sympathy at all. So, there!
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
As an Expos fan, I have absolutely no sympathy at all. So, there!
Who?
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 09:49am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Rookie Ump Emasculated Live on TV

Nats/Sox game Friday nite. Close, decisive OUT!!! call by 1B ump, PU rushes out and conferences w/ all umps. After a few minutes of browbeating, calling ump sheepishly changes call to SAFE.
Is this an accepted practice in MLB?
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Nats/Sox game Friday nite. Close, decisive OUT!!! call by 1B ump, PU rushes out and conferences w/ all umps. After a few minutes of browbeating, calling ump sheepishly changes call to SAFE.
Is this an accepted practice in MLB?
Video is here:
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | 6/24/11: Nationals win in extras for ejected McLaren - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

The accepted practice is to get it right.

Your characterization is misleading: PU runs down the line to the 45' mark as part of his normal mechanic, precisely to be in position to help on the swipe tag, as in this play. He didn't "rush out" to "browbeat" anyone.

U1 made his call, got PU's info, and decided (correctly) to change his call. All in a day's work.
Old Sat Jun 25, 2011, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Oh, one more thing: Estabrook has been an MLB fill-in for about 5 seasons now, and has been in Triple A for 7 seasons: hardly a rookie.