The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
No but the contact clearly disrupted the shot, after which it was swatted into row eight.
You would really call that a foul, seeing it at full speed?

Here it is at full speed. The contact is basically simultaneous with the block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwRzNFJ67oM

Last edited by Berkut; Fri Mar 18, 2011 at 11:55pm.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 12:09am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
You would really call that a foul, seeing it at full speed?

Here it is at full speed. The contact is basically simultaneous with the block.

YouTube - Derrick Williams game-winning block against Memphis
Probably not, but if the foul had been called, it was justified. As to the "zero chance of going in" part, that is debatable, and, by rule, not relevant.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Clearly contact on the shooter's right elbow before the block. Beats the hell out of me why people think such a play is legal.
Disagree. The shooter is at an angle and leading with his right elbow as his jumps. The contact is from the shooter extending his elbow. The defender does not slap the opponent's arm, rather the leading elbow contacts his body as he is jumping. I don't have a foul on this contact.
We can't penalize a defender when the offensive player extends an arm and contacts him.
The block following that action is definitely clean.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 10:11am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Chat is open...JugglingRef and I are there.
I've had issues getting into the room, I'm gonna try computer #3 later today......

PS - So, Mr. Obama went 15-1 yesterday in his picks, Michigan won the game without foul shots......Tsunami's. earthquakes! Sheesh!
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Pitt/Butler

The foul against Butler with time expiring was either the worst call I have ever seen or the guttiest.
Not many officials would blow their whistles in that circumstance. I am still not sure there was enough contact to make that call, but kudos for having the balls to call it. That one was big time.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Hindsight..Good call....Statement still stands. Very few have what it takes to make that call.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Teams have scored with less time going full court in the tournament. You have to give the player the chance to play the ball. Easy call to me.

Can't wait for a week of "swallow the whistle talk." The Pitt kid on the rebounding action really gave the ref no choice.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesmaven View Post
Teams have scored with less time going full court in the tournament. You have to give the player the chance to play the ball. Easy call to me.

Can't wait for a week of "swallow the whistle talk." The Pitt kid on the rebounding action really gave the ref no choice.
I guess when James Madison said to officiate until the game is over, the officials took heed.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Both calls were good calls. If you don't have the balls to blow either of those fouls, I don't want to be on the floor with you.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:43pm
In Memoriam

That had to be two of the stoopidest fouls committed that I've ever seen. Absolutely dumb!

Don't kill the messenger. He did his job...and did it well.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Teams have scored with less time going full court in the tournament.
There was 1.4 seconds on the clock. Can you give me an example of any teams that have gone full court and scored in 1.3 or less?

The first call was correct. Player was forced into either a travel or OOB by contact. No choice but to call a foul. Second one should have been ignored. Even IF you can make a case for a foul in that situation, the score is tied with little chance of a score absent a call. Leave it alone, play 5 minutes more and then any call or no-call becomes moot.

Had one team been ahead, you can argue the foul. If there's a chance for OT, absent the prevention of a valid scoring attempt, go to OT. There's no advantage gained by grabbing an arm 90 feet from the basket with about a second left. No one here has yet made the case for such an advantage. Ordinarily, without an unfair advantage in a contact situation, we're going to leave it alone.

Last edited by Texas Aggie; Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 08:48pm.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
... There's no advantage gained by grabbing an arm 90 feet from the basket with about a second left. No one here has yet made the case for such an advantage. Ordinarily, without an unfair advantage in a contact situation, we're going to leave it alone.
Then why grab the arm?
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

That's why we have the chat room LOL
St Joe's coach had a great comment: "This is about young guys in pressure situations making bad decisions. This is not about the guys in stripes.""
Also, did anyone see the Butler press conference? They asked Mack what he was saying on the FT line to the Pitt player and he said he was asking "Where are you from? I'm from Lexington, KY". "What is your GPA? Mine is 3.0" etc. When you watch the replay, darned if that isn't what he is saying!

Last edited by Judtech; Sat Mar 19, 2011 at 09:14pm.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was 1.4 seconds on the clock. Can you give me an example of any teams that have gone full court and scored in 1.3 or less?
I thought of Christian Laettner's shot in 1992. Looked it up. 2.1 seconds for that one.

Even the NCAA Head of Officiating told Ernie Johnson those were both fouls that needed to be called. I have to agree. And I'll bet the official that made those calls will be working next weekend!!
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tate George
Closed Thread