The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

A1 inbounds to A2 who is airborne when he controls ball.

Play 1: A2 returns to floor with one foot in front court followed by the other foot in the back court.

Play 2: A2 returns to floor with one foot in front court simultaneously with the other foot in the back court.

[Edited by Jeff the Ref on Dec 9th, 2002 at 11:15 AM]
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:12pm
In Memoriam

So, ....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff the Ref
A1 inbounds to A2 who is airborne when he controls ball.

Play 1: A1 returns to floor with one foot in front court followed by the other foot in the back court.

Play 2: A1 returns to floor with one foot in front court simultaneously with the other foot in the back court.
...What difference does it make where the thrower-in goes?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

sorry...I mean A2...my bad!
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

There is no back-court violation on a thow-in. Front court status is based on all 3 pts over the division line. Because there is no beginning status of the player that is considered...
1st ex: only 2 pts
in front court
2nd ex: only 2 pts
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:22pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation Careful here!

Quote:
Originally posted by kmref
There is no back-court violation on a thow-in. Front court status is based on all 3 pts over the division line. Because there is no beginning status of the player that is considered...
in front court
kmref,
3-point requirement applies only to dribbling situations.
A2 was not dribbling was she?
mick
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Front court status is based on all 3 pts over the division line.
On a dribble.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

No...on a throw in situation.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
in front court
The 3 points "rule" only applies when a player is dribbling the ball. It has nothing to do with this situation.

This is not a BC violation because it meets the requirements for 9-9 Exception 1. Catching the ball after leaving the floor in the FC, does establish team control and FC status. But Exception 1 allows the player to land in the BC, with either or both feet.

EXCEPTION 1: It is not a violation when after a jump ball or a throw-in, a player is the first to secure control of the ball while both feet are off the floor and he/she then returns to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:32pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
in front court
The 3 points "rule" only applies when a player is dribbling the ball. It has nothing to do with this situation.

This is not a BC violation because it meets the requirements for 9-9 Exception 1. Catching the ball after leaving the floor in the FC, does establish team control and FC status. But Exception 1 allows the player to land in the BC, with either or both feet.

EXCEPTION 1: It is not a violation when after a jump ball or a throw-in, a player is the first to secure control of the ball while both feet are off the floor and he/she then returns to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt.
What if A2 lands on his gluteus maximus and fails to establish a pivot foot?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
in front court

Yes..I agree, but does not A2 in example 1 return to the floor in the front court first?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

The book says this

Rule 9-9-2 applies to your situation, but has two exceptions. The first exception has to do with a jump ball and a throw-in. The second is a defensive steal. These exceptions basically say it doesn't matter where the player was when he jumped - ball possession was secured in the air and team possesion location is established when the player returns to the ground. There is a note for these exceptions and quoted here:

"NOTE: The exceptions allow a player to make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in frontcourt or backcourt."

So, if you think the landing was normal - no violation; abnormal - violation. Isn't this easy?

Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Yes..I agree, but does not A2 in example 1 return to the floor in the front court first?

Jeff,
If ball is secured in the air, then we allow the player to have a "natural landing".
mick
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
in front court

I see where you are going... when the first foot came down we had fc status, then the foot down in b/c...it would have to be a very significant delay between the feet coming down for me to "see it that way", i.e., if we had the one legged swan standing on one foot in the f/c, then finally putting the other foot down in the b/c, i might call that.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
What if A2 lands on his gluteus maximus and fails to establish a pivot foot?
According to folks in nevada, it would depend on what he did with his feet after the landed.

I don't think it would matter. A2 will be quickly asking for a TO so that be may address his sore arse.

Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I see where you are going... when the first foot came down we had fc status, then the foot down in b/c...it would have to be a very significant delay between the feet coming down for me to "see it that way", i.e., if we had the one legged swan standing on one foot in the f/c, then finally putting the other foot down in the b/c, i might call that.
Wow! You got one right!