The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 07:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFanDan View Post
Your answer is exactly what I expected from somebody with your obviously limited intelligence; can you read or do you just babble on without any measurable reading comprehension ?

The silly name calling that you use can either be because of senility or lack of intelligence; my guess is that it's a combination of the two.

I paid my dues in officiating (more than one sport) and am just as entitled to my opinions as the likes of you. If you don't like them then feel free to ignore me; if you do respond then know that I will reply to you in the same manner that you use.
You know, all we have to do is take a look at your posting history, fanboy. This is the third straight year that you've shown up here in March to crap on D1 officials and get a plug in for your beloved Coach K and his Dookies. Then you'll disappear until next March. You have never contributed one damn thing related to officiating on this site except to whine and b!tch about something. Could that be because you're just another fanboy trying to justify his posts by telling us what a big-time official he was? Know what? If you want to get taken seriously, get involved in some officiating discussions instead of just coming here to crap on D1 officials every damn Spring.

Official---my azz!! Typical fanboy.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 08:48pm.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 07:24pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Official---my azz!! Typical fanboy.
At least he is posting in the right font color.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 07:49pm
Barely $.02 cents worth

Look, chalk it up to age, chalk it up to experience, chalk it up to reputation, chalk it up to pedigree -- the list can go on and on and on and on as to reasons why some stripes can't hang it up. . .

One reason and I have no doubt that officials like the Burr's, the Higgins', the Hightower's, etc etc etc -- stick around -- and that's because the coaches they work for want them on their games.

Dick Bavetta is 71 years old -- and he can't catch up to plays the majority of times in NBA games, but he's there because he knows how to manage players, manage coaches, and both those parties believe in him.

The same goes for both Burr and Higgins, and if you think for a nano-second that either one of those guys will only work a 1st or 2nd round game in the tourney, you're fooling yourselves.

Remember, we work at the collegiate level for coaches and in essence, them and the AD's are the supervisor's bosses, and many of those coaches (more than less) want Burr and Higgins to be on their floor when they play, and why? Because of the experience, because of the pedigree, and because those guys have been around this game long enough to know exactly what to say, how to say it, and to get both the coaches and players to buy it off on it -- hook, line, and sinker. . .

Nuff said, pencils down, game over.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 08:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFanDan View Post
Okay, now I get it: because the Rutgers team screwed up a set play the refs were allowed to stop officiating. Sorry that I didn't see that earlier.

The refs had nothing to do with this screwup, that's a comforting thing to learn.
Did you really get that from what I said; because I'm sure my 5 year old son would have better reading comprehension.

They screwed up, yep they sure did. So what?

It's not like Rutgers actually played any defense to earn that turnover, so they aren't getting punished in spite of playing well. They played like sh1t the last few seconds. I'd say they performed worse than the refs.

That said, you neglected to respond to the more important part of my post; but that's okay, I'm not sure you understood it anyway. I think I used some big words.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 08:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee24.7 View Post
The same goes for both Burr and Higgins, and if you think for a nano-second that either one of those guys will only work a 1st or 2nd round game in the tourney, you're fooling yourselves.
Now I haven't bothered to check myself, so I might just be blowing smoke, but before making a statement like this, you might want to actually check how far they worked that last couple of years.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 10:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Look, chalk it up to age, chalk it up to experience, chalk it up to reputation, chalk it up to pedigree -- the list can go on and on and on and on as to reasons why some stripes can't hang it up. . .

One reason and I have no doubt that officials like the Burr's, the Higgins', the Hightower's, etc etc etc -- stick around -- and that's because the coaches they work for want them on their games.

Dick Bavetta is 71 years old -- and he can't catch up to plays the majority of times in NBA games, but he's there because he knows how to manage players, manage coaches, and both those parties believe in him.
You are absolutely right.

Quote:
Actually they might not work beyond the first weekend the last couple of years anyway. It will not be because of this situation, it might be for other reasons that none of us by John Adams knows for sure.

I know both worked more NIT and those other tournament games than they did NCAA Tournament games.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 11, 2011, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Remember, we work at the collegiate level for coaches and in essence, them and the AD's are the supervisor's bosses, and many of those coaches (more than less) want Burr and Higgins to be on their floor when they play, and why? Because of the experience, because of the pedigree, and because those guys have been around this game long enough to know exactly what to say, how to say it, and to get both the coaches and players to buy it off on it -- hook, line, and sinker. . .

Nuff said, pencils down, game over.
Some of this is true and some of it is WAY overstated IMO.

I'll take the bet in bold.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2011, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Actually I would bet that Higgins doesn't get any games in the NCAA tourney. He worked 1 game in 2009 and did not get any games in 2010. He clearly is not a John Adams favorite. 2008 was the last time Tim Higgins worked the second weekend of the tourney.

As for Burr...I would bet a large sum of money that he works at least one game on the first weekend. This is mostly based on Adams' praise of his work this year in the Rutgers/St. John's aftermath. Also, his tournament history with Adams in charge is a little better. In 2010 Burr worked 2 games on the first weekend and worked an Elite 8 game.

The evidence points to a conclusion that Adams thinks more highly of Burr's current form than of Higgins'.