The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ref will get younger (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/64556-ref-will-get-younger.html)

GoodwillRef Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:58am

Ref will get younger

NCAA supervisor pledges that refs will get younger - College Basketball News | FOX Sports on MSN

Rich Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:59am

In his tournament, sure. I bet he wishes he had the power to affect the officials the conferences hire. You can hear it in what he says.

JugglingReferee Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:02pm

I feel bad for those officials who are too young to get a healthy schedule, yet too old by Adams' standards.

centkyref Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24pm

Then, after the first kicked call...

The line from the "experts" will be..."It's too bad this great game had to ruined by the inexperience of that ref. If only they had put veterans on the game who know how to handle the situation..."

GoodwillRef Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34pm

If you make it to Division 1 basketball you have already had a ton of basketball officiating experience.

Rich Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 738649)
If you make it to Division 1 basketball you have already had a ton of basketball officiating experience.

Can you, with absolute certainty, say that on the women's side when talking about women officials? :D

GoodwillRef Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 738650)
Can you, with absolute certainty, say that on the women's side when talking about women officials? :D

Most officials that work Division 1 (men/women)...yes I can.

GoodwillRef Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 738650)

If you don't cut it you are out withen 3-4 years.

Welpe Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 738649)

Yeah but since when did the common-taters care about facts like that?

JRutledge Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 738655)
Most officials that work Division 1 (men/women)...yes I can.

Not in Women's basketball. I know of many officials that got there in 5 years. That is not a lot of experience if you ask me.

Peace

centkyref Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 738660)
Yeah but since when did the common-taters care about facts like that?

Exactly

Jeremy Hohn Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 738662)
Not in Women's basketball. I know of many officials that got there in 5 years. That is not a lot of experience if you ask me.

Peace

As a guy who works Women's side, I can concur completely with that above statement....

CLH Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hohn (Post 738671)
As a guy who works Women's side, I can concur completely with that above statement....

As a guy who works on the women's side in D1, I can agree that happens with YOUR current supervisor (only because I workED for him too ;) ) Here we go again playing to the typical stereotype that W officials are inferior. There are plenty of officials working D1 men's who don't have the experience either, but of course you guys have to single out the women's officials. I made it there at the age of 26, I assume by you guys standards I don't have the experience either. Always entertaining around here ;)

KMBReferee Thu Mar 10, 2011 01:00pm

Geez, and I thought how the NBA handled the Durant call last year was bad.

Between his comments last night without having seen the video first and now this, Adams comes off as reactionary. It sounds like he's trying to please ESPN's talking heads more than actually putting the best officials in the tournament.

The best officials, no matter what age, should call the tournament. I know that may be naive, but that's how I see it.

NoFussRef Thu Mar 10, 2011 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMBReferee (Post 738677)
Geez, and I thought how the NBA handled the Durant call last year was bad.

Between his comments last night without having seen the video first and now this, Adams comes off as reactionary. It sounds like he's trying to please ESPN's talking heads more than actually putting the best officials in the tournament.

The best officials, no matter what age, should call the tournament. I know that may be naive, but that's how I see it.

I wouldn't say naive, NCAA and NBE I know have to worry more about the "look" of their crews, but speaking through the youth and adult wreck lens, I personally don't care how young or old my partner is- provided they can get into position and consistently make correct calls/no-calls.

I have worked with "dinosaurs" that could still beat the pack down the floor, and worked with "teenie-boppers" that had great on-court presence.