The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Bilas just commented that Burris made the same "No Call' in Maui at the MSU/Uconn game (?) Anyone remember this?
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Well you said it was a conference matter and you would have rather the conference supervisor have comment. While it's totally acceptable for him to comment, I don't see a problem with John Adams having an opinion (I'm talking in general here. If it's true that he didn't see the play first, and I have a hard time believe that, then he should have waited to comment).
NCAA official head: Finish 'unacceptable' in St. John's win - ESPN

(The video specifically says Adams hadn't seen the play. He made his comments based on a description.)

Adams, reached by phone in Indianapolis where he is sequestered with the men's basketball selection committee for the remainder of the weekend, hadn't seen the video of the final seconds of the game but was going to discuss it with Big East coordinator of officials Art Hyland upon hearing the play-by-play of the final seconds.

"And then we'll notify the guys sometime Sunday if they're working or not," Adams said.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I don't know but if you read Rice's comments he talked about mistakes that he, his staff, and his players made and did not take what would have been an easy route and focus on the officials.

And as an official, it does not matter one bit that the coaches didn't coach until the end of the game (whatever that means). Bottom line is that was a REALLY bad miss at the end of the game by this crew. We all miss calls but one of the main points that they guy who trained me stressed was to always officiate to the end of the game. It seems that this crew did not do that today.
+1. My training with a great mentor in Michigan stressed that over and over again.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Well he probably shouldn't have had a comment here though I guess one might argue you don't need to see a video of the play as it wasn't a judgement play rather a clear out of bounds violation.

I would rather him not comment until after seeing the video. Still, in general, I have no problem with Adams commenting on plays in addition to conference supervisors. Adams may be more accessible than most supervisors.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
[/color]

Any one mention that the two coaches did not coach until the end of the game either.
What does this have to do with the end of game sequence? How we officiate is not dictated by if the coaches "did not coach until the end of the game either," though I'm not sure what you even mean by that.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
+1. My training with a great mentor in Michigan stressed that over and over again.
So Adams is saying basically that Burr, Higgins and Walton deliberately ignored everything that happened in the last 10 seconds. Thats pretty strong and uncalled for and not in keeping with these officials background.

If he says there were terrible calls and no calls in last 10 seconds thats ok and probably right on the mark, but to infer these officials did not want to make calls at end of game to me is libelous.

I can just see officials in the tournament thinking, if you want to advance, make a call in the dying seconds. That will prove I officiated until the end of the game.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
or.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
You do sound like a big prick.
Answers.com - What is a jake turkey
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=LeeBallanfant;738377]So Adams is saying basically that Burr, Higgins and Walton deliberately ignored everything that happened in the last 10 seconds. Thats pretty strong and uncalled for and not in keeping with these officials background.

If he says there were terrible calls and no calls in last 10 seconds thats ok and probably right on the mark, but to infer these officials did not want to make calls at end of game to me is libelous.

I can just see officials in the tournament thinking, if you want to advance, make a call in the dying seconds. That will prove I officiated until the end of the game.[/QUOTE]

These are pretty ridiculous statements IMO, particularly the last one. I don't think Adams is saying they ignored everything in the last 10 seconds or that they did not want to make calls at the end of the game. And I'm definitely not saying that. In fact I haven't even seen what others are calling questionable no calls leading up to the throw in with 4.7.

But when a guy CLEARLY steps out of bounds with 1.7 on the clock and there is no whistle then ITS EVIDENT that the officials did not referee until the end of the game. That has nothing to do with wanting or not wanting to make a call. It has to do with refereeing until there are all zeroes on the clock. This crew didn't do that today evidenced by the fact that they allowed a player to clearly step out of bounds with significant time left on the clock.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the video. I wish I knew how to embed it on this board.

I mean, it's kind of hard to defend "missing" that OOB. He's right there, whistle in hand, looking down the pipe at the sideline. His whole foot was almost entirely OOB; in fact, the outer edge was the only thing that was touching the line.

The only defense he could have for missing it, was his vision may have been blocked by the St. John's player and the coach, who was entirely out of his box and was right at the division line.

Last edited by KMBReferee; Wed Mar 09, 2011 at 11:35pm.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

"Finishing" games will be a POE next year, with major talk about the philosophy of "let the kids decide the game." (i.e., swallowing the whistle.)

We get paid for the final minutes. (And all the other minutes.)

Plus, NCAA will expand reviewable situations.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 11:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post
Here's the video. I wish I knew how to embed it on this board.
Here it is.

Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 12:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I don't feel it's inappropriate for the coordinator of men's basketball to have a comment on the play if asked.
It's inappropriate for him to single out one official as good or bad and have no comments on the other 2.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And you're proud of that? You're also the one who's crapped all over Ted Hillary, Steve Welmer and a few other officials in the course of your posting history.

What D1 conferences have you worked in?
And who the hell made you king? You sound as if you are best buds with these guys. I started the thread asking about his health. I think he is beyond his years of keeping up. You can kiss my ***!
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 12:28am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Bilas just commented that Burris made the same "No Call' in Maui at the MSU/Uconn game (?) Anyone remember this?
But , if I recall correctly, a couple of years back when there was a bump in the backcourt in the last second of a tournament game (Georgetown vs. Somebody, maybe?) which caused a player to step out of bounds. The foul was called, the subsequent free throws were the winning margin, and Bilas said the whole thing should have been ignored.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 12:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Why is Burr 94' from the throw-in? He is standing on the endline in the middle of the paint. He is no help on the play. If he had set up free throw line extended to help with the catch and any 3-point attempts he would have been in position to view the OOB.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 01:06am.