The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesmaven View Post
Just curious and trying to learn -- what's the rule? I know there's a rule for DoG that requires a warning first. And I know that there are admin techs that can be given to "followers" for preventing the ball from being made live. But what's the rule that would allow a T for a checked in player throwing the ball into the stands during a time out if no warning had been given?

Edit -- sorry, don't know why I said "time out". I meant after the violation.
From Mr. Adams:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN.com
Adams said there wouldn't have been a technical foul called for Brownlee throwing the ball in the stands.

"There is no penalty for exuberance if the kid thought it was the end of the game," Adams said. "It's his ball and he's not delaying anything. Also the coaches are walking toward each other. There was a presumption that the game was over but unfortunately it doesn't sound like it was."
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Adams seems like a jerk -- praising Burr (who as the trail missed this call) and essentially throwing the other two under the bus. What's really comical is that it sounds like he commented without even seeing the play.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
It was at mid court table side. They were both at/around opposite endlines. The pass went long, but all the action being discussed happened at mid court table side. Both appeared to be screened out by bench personnell. The "C"'s body language was "Something funky just happened but I am not sure what" and looks at both officials as he heads across the court. I don't have faces to go with names, but one of the officials was much quicker to the locker room tunnel than the other two.
My take away from this is: If guys at THAT level can make mistakes like that, I feel much better about the mistakes I make at my level!
Since it is common for coaches to go out on the court during playing time and not be sanctioned, I could see how the officials would be screened out.

Next, I expect a coach to set up a screen while going on to the court.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The commentators (Digger Phelps) said that they missed a travel and an out of bounds call. The travel they want is questionable if not there at all. And when you say he took three steps when the third step was out of bounds you cannot have it both ways. Yes, it is a problem when the public does not understand the rules and you tell everyone the incorrect ruling. So when we get to our games and I have to explain to a coach that I do not call steps, I call traveling based on the actions of the pivot foot that is what causes confusion for everyone. Kind of like the moving screen I had a coach want called last week and the screen did not cause any contact and the defender moved with the screener, but yet a coach wanted a foul called when no illegal contact took place. Yes, that is wrong. And he said that 3 officials missed it. Three officials are not looking at this play. Maybe two of them were, but more likely 1 in this specific play.

Peace
Thanks for the answer. I think part of the problem with Digger or others understanding travelling is that "pivot" is a horrible word that is inaccessible to most non-officials. The concept of pivoting has a common sense meaning of rotating on a fixe point. I would guess most non-officials only understand the concept of a pivot foot in the situation where the ball is caught with both feet on the ground and then one is lifted, because that looks like what we think of as a "pivot."

I'm sure Digger and most fans would be suprised to learn of the concept of a pivot foot when, for example, a player is running forward. I think travelling is hard enough for many to understand because of the different ways to travel -- sometimes a player can move a great distance with the ball without travelling and sometimes a tiny movement can be a violation and that confuses people. Add in the word "pivot" and it's hopeless.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And he said that 3 officials missed it. Three officials are not looking at this play. Maybe two of them were, but more likely 1 in this specific play.
+1

On this one, the play was coming right at Burr on the sideline as new L on the turnover. Higgins was T at the other end on the same sideline. Earl Walton was the C across the court. There's nowayinhell Walton was involved in an OOB call on the far sideline. He shouldn't be part of the conversation imo.

Bottom line is they just missed the call. Contrary to the thinking of fans and talking heads, officials really are human and do recognize they'll screw one up every now and then. Unfortunately the circumstances make this particular call stand out. If it happens at 3:32 of the first half, no one is talking about it.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeBallanfant View Post
Since it is common for coaches to go out on the court during playing time and not be sanctioned, I could see how the officials would be screened out.

Next, I expect a coach to set up a screen while going on to the court.
I haven't seen that, but I have seen a coach reach out with their clipboard to "steal" the ball from a player coming up the sideline!
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
+1
Unfortunately the circumstances make this particular call stand out. If it happens at 3:32 of the first half, no one is talking about it.
I assume you mean that if a bad mistake happens at 3:32 of the first half, not this particular play, no one would talk about it.

Even with 3:32 left in the first half, I'm guessing that if a player with possession of the ball steps out of bounds and then launches the ball into the crowd and none of the officials call OOB, some people might talk about it.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Adams seems like a jerk -- praising Burr (who as the trail missed this call) and essentially throwing the other two under the bus. What's really comical is that it sounds like he commented without even seeing the play.
+1 It sounded like he was "protecting" Burr and seemed a bit too defensive IMO
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:24pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
ESPN Scroller - Big East acknowledges two officiating errors at the end of the game......

Last edited by grunewar; Wed Mar 09, 2011 at 08:40pm.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:42pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jake View Post
They have been trying to get rid of Higgins for several years. Burr is still a good official when he is not overworked. I think today might just be the last time you see Tim on ESPN?
Who are "they?"

Are "they" the Assignors who want Higgins and Burr to work for them or the Leagues and coaches who request they work their games?

Just curious.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

As long as there are assignors and coaches that are comfortable with both officials, then we'll be seeing both of them next year...on ESPN weekly. All Adams has the power to do is not select either for the dance.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

I was the one who started the Tim Higgins thread. I can only hope he steps away the game has passed him by. Otherwise, I am blind in one eye and cant see out of the other. Its time.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 09:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jake View Post
They have been trying to get rid of Higgins for several years. Burr is still a good official when he is not overworked. I think today might just be the last time you see Tim on ESPN?
Lets just say that's there's a helluva lot better chance of us seeing Higgins on ESPN than seeing you or mightyvol anywhere.

They missed a call. You haven't? Get over it.

It's that time of year.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 09:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Digger Phelps and the boys on ESPN are hammering them about suspensions for the rest of the Big East Tourney, injuries, age and being slow, being over worked and out position.

Everyone pile on now......
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Just saw the Rutgers coach who was interviewed and he made what I thought were the right noises (basically that a mistake was made, that he made several mistakes as did his players during the course of the game). Nice to see at least one person keeping his head during what many will be going nuts about.