The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Rich - this may be as good a reason as any to not have pictures, despite the mis-leading thread title.

Freddy, does your league, district, state, ets. have any cheerleader-specific rules? Before going to the site supervisor, make sure you have some backup for your requests. Remember, they spent time rehearsing and practicing to be at the game, so try not to unecessarily take away their part in the festivities. Around here, we also tend to work around the cheerleaders, as most gyms simply don't have the room. I have found that most cheerleaders know when you're there, so they have a tendancy to move out of your way as you move along the endline, even though it may seem like there's not enough room.
For example, is there a post-game cat fight?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rich - this may be as good a reason as any to not have pictures, despite the mis-leading thread title.

Freddy, does your league, district, state, ets. have any cheerleader-specific rules? Before going to the site supervisor, make sure you have some backup for your requests. Remember, they spent time rehearsing and practicing to be at the game, so try not to unecessarily take away their part in the festivities. Around here, we also tend to work around the cheerleaders, as most gyms simply don't have the room. I have found that most cheerleaders know when you're there, so they have a tendancy to move out of your way as you move along the endline, even though it may seem like there's not enough room.
Are you kidding me...if the cheerleaders are in our way of the they of the players they are moving...period. I don't care how long they have put in practicing...if there isn't a game where are they going to cheer?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Are you kidding me...if the cheerleaders are in our way of the they of the players they are moving...period. I don't care how long they have put in practicing...if there isn't a game where are they going to cheer?
If they're really in our way, of course they get moved. I just don't make a big deal about it if they are close, and *might* get in our way. In most of the small gyms where this is even an issue, I'm not going to be "that guy" who is the one to move them, when they've been there all season without incident.

To me, it's like a coach chirping - if it affects me to the point where I'm distracted from the game, I will address it. Otherwise it's easy to ignore.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Then there are those that move the "less appealing" against the wall, and the "more appealing" forward.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they're really in our way, of course they get moved. I just don't make a big deal about it if they are close, and *might* get in our way. In most of the small gyms where this is even an issue, I'm not going to be "that guy" who is the one to move them, when they've been there all season without incident.

To me, it's like a coach chirping - if it affects me to the point where I'm distracted from the game, I will address it. Otherwise it's easy to ignore.
A coach chirping at me isn't the same as a potential season ending injury for me or my partner(s). I am "that guy" who will move them somewhere "I" think is safe me and the entire game. I have moved them so they are on the sideline...two years ago in our playoff game in small gym we told them they could use any part of the baseline and they ended up in the first row of the bleachers...the cheerleading coach wasn't happy...I really didn't care.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 02:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
A coach chirping at me isn't the same as a potential season ending injury for me or my partner(s). I am "that guy" who will move them somewhere "I" think is safe me and the entire game. I have moved them so they are on the sideline...two years ago in our playoff game in small gym we told them they could use any part of the baseline and they ended up in the first row of the bleachers...the cheerleading coach wasn't happy...I really didn't care.
+1 After all, it is a basketball game. Not a cheerleading competition. During 60 second timeouts the floor is yielded to them if they choose to use it.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A coach chirping at me isn't the same as a potential season ending injury for me or my partner(s). I am "that guy" who will move them somewhere "I" think is safe me and the entire game.
So, what about players who come close to you - do you move them to help avoid *your* season-ending injury?

Ok, I agree that's a snarky comment. And, for all I know, we could walk into the same gym and agree that, for that night, the cheerleaders are a problem at that particular spot and need to be moved. Each gym, and each situation, might be different. I'm only speaking in general terms about small gyms, and making accomodations for everyone. I've worked in many small gyms without any issues where the cheerleaders are on the endline with me, and there's only 10-12 feet between the line and the wall. Usually they've been taught to stay out of our way when the play is at that end of the court, and they do a good job of it because that's where they've been for many years at that school.

Again, having cheerleaders close by is just not a big deal with me, unless something forces me to look at the situation closer.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, what about players who come close to you - do you move them to help avoid *your* season-ending injury?

Ok, I agree that's a snarky comment. And, for all I know, we could walk into the same gym and agree that, for that night, the cheerleaders are a problem at that particular spot and need to be moved. Each gym, and each situation, might be different. I'm only speaking in general terms about small gyms, and making accomodations for everyone. I've worked in many small gyms without any issues where the cheerleaders are on the endline with me, and there's only 10-12 feet between the line and the wall. Usually they've been taught to stay out of our way when the play is at that end of the court, and they do a good job of it because that's where they've been for many years at that school.

Again, having cheerleaders close by is just not a big deal with me, unless something forces me to look at the situation closer.
Most of the time they aren't an issue, but in our area cheerleaders have no clue what is going on in the game and don't pay attention at all. I had a 7th grade boys tournament that I was working for a buddy of mine and these 7th grade cheerleaders are on the endline from the lane line to the baseline. I asked them if they could move about half of them around the corner and we would be good...one of the cheerleaders looks at me and says NO! 7th grade girl telling me right to me face and they don't move. The second free throw goes in and I asked (told) them to move again...the same cheerleader gives me another "look", I then I told their coach who is sitting in the stands by us that if they don't move they can sit with her. She gives me a dirty look...what is going on with young cheerleaders and cheerleader coaches these days? By the way, they moved! LOL
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 07:49am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I asked them if they could move about half of them around the corner and we would be good...one of the cheerleaders looks at me and says NO! 7th grade girl telling me right to me face and they don't move. The second free throw goes in and I asked (told) them to move again...the same cheerleader gives me another "look", I then I told their coach who is sitting in the stands by us that if they don't move they can sit with her. She gives me a dirty look...what is going on with young cheerleaders and cheerleader coaches these days? By the way, they moved! LOL
Meanie!
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...7th grade cheerleaders...
'nuff said.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:01am
Aleve Titles to Others

You can always tell a cheerleader, but you can't tell her much.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I thought that had to do with wives?

(I'm glad mine doesn't read this...)

(Used with permission.)