The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Cheerleaders

One of many frustrations with last night's middle school games concerned rules about cheerleaders, bands, music, etc.

My partner's position was that music (by speakers or pep band) could not be played at any time except pre-game, time between quarters, intermission, and postgame. I.e., nothing during any timeouts. She insisted that she was right, and that had been the rule since 2002. The cheerleading coordinator was upset because they had planned to do a lot more and had checked the rules last week.

So after the games, we pull out my rulebooks. 1-18 says that music, etc. can only be played during pregame, period between quarters, intermission, postgame and time-outs. It does not mention cheerleaders, right? So not only does my partner insist that she's still right that cheerleaders may not come on the floor at any time during the game, but that music may only be played during a full timeout. Which is also not in the rule.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

Last edited by inigo montoya; Tue Sep 23, 2008 at 07:54am.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 07:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

No, your partner has a problem with cheerleaders. If showing her the rule doesn't work, there's nothing you can do.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 07:25am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I don't have my books with me (stupid work - insert Homer Simpson image here). I thought I remember something current about 30 sec timeouts.... However, some of our esteemed Forum Members have previously discussed this and while possibly not current, they said:

Nevada once posted: “NFHS 2001-2002 Rules Book page 72 Comments on the Rules Revisions Under the requirement to stand during a 30-second time-out there is the sentence: "Additional discussion reflected concerns about some states not enforcing the 'no cheerleaders' on the floor during a 30-second time-out and whether or not substitutes should be permitted to join the conference with coach(es) and players."

BktBallRef also wrote previously “ I wish the NFHS would add this rule to the Basketball Rules Book, so that it could be better enforced. The NCHSAA has added the following to the state Handbook: CHEERLEADERS: Cheerleaders must remain seated during all live balls, which includes after the free throw shooter is handed the ball. Cheerleaders may not come onto the floor during 30-second timeouts.

Anything more current out there?
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 07:50am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya View Post
1-18 says that artificial noisemakers, music, etc. can only be played during pregame, period between quarters, intermission, postgame and time-outs.
I'm sorry to take the emphasis off the cheerleader question, but what you've stated above is not quite right. Music is only allowed pre-game, during intermissions and during time-outs. Artificial noisemakers are never permitted.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

My mistake on the noisemakers. Although, my partner also considered the band to be "artificial noisemakers" so there's that little piece too.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 08:31am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
my partner also considered the band to be "artificial noisemakers" so there's that little piece too.
The band is obviously considered to be music, not artificial noise. So your partner was 0-for-everything on that call.

Quote:
Are there rocks ahead? If there are, we all be dead!
No more rhyming! I mean it!!
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Anybody want a peanut?
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 06:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cheerleaders Can Be Entertaining ...

NFHS 5-11-2: A single 30-second charged time-out shall not exceed 30 seconds. A warning signal for teams to prepare to be ready to resume play is sounded at 20 seconds. No on-court entertainment should occur during this time.

NFHS 1-18-1: The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pregame, time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be prohibited.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 23, 2008 at 06:28pm.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Love That Hawaii 50 Theme ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Music is only allowed pre-game, during intermissions and during time-outs.
and post-game. While you Bay State officials watch the post game handshake, you can enjoy listening to the band playing "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey-ey, Goodbye".

Meanwhile, here in the Constitution State, at the same time you're watching a bunch of kids who don't want to shake hands, shake hands, we'll be showering, and getting ready to either go home, or to go out and get some adult beverages, and we'll be singing "Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey-ey, We're Out Of Here".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Billy. 5-11 was the one we couldn't find last night.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 09:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There's Always A First Time ...

Quote:
Thanks, Billy. 5-11 was the one we couldn't find last night.
You're welcome. 1-18-1 was hard to find. I don't think I've ever looked through Rule 1 for a citation before.