The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:19pm
I miss being on the floor

Modified Rules

I'm trying to come up with some modified rules for a basketball tournament at school.

What are some good rule modifications that you've seen used in summer leagues and/or rec leagues? I know for sure we'll be using a running clock.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

It would depend on what you want to accomplish in the tournament. There are all kinds of rules that are modified from time to time. Giving points for fouls (bonus), shooting 1 for 2 points, stopping the clock in the last 2 minutes of a quarter. There are so many, it is really up to you and the level. Is the objective to play or is the objective to give some kids an opportunity to compete?

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:31pm
Back from the DL

Running time of 18-22 minutes (depending on the age level) per half, with stop time the last two minutes. Overtimes are five running minutes, with stop time the last two. All other NFHS rules apply.

Some younger tourneys (up to seventh grade) have limited press rules. Is this for kids of this age?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:32pm

We're talking about a students vs staff thing. Students are college-age. It's both a chance to play, and some friendly competition.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:39pm
TODO: creative title here

I summarized my local rec league's "No press" rule here. Seems to work pretty well in most situations.

+1 to running-clock-except-for-last-X-minutes rules.

Possibly a "no-foul-out" rule (that would include an extra penalty like an automatic 2 points to the opponent for each foul a player commits after the 5th one).

No overtime (for Padgett). Alternatively, a "2-minute overtime, if still tied, first point wins" overtime.

One rec tournament I worked did a "substitutions mandatory, and only at 15, 10, and 5-minute marks in the half" rule (running time). I didn't like that one, because they literally wanted us to enforce it at exactly the 15, 10, and 5-minute mark, no matter what was going on on the court. (I got yelled at by the tournament director because I let an uncontested breakway start at 15:01 and end at 14:58 without stopping for substitution). Stupid, stupid rule.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:41pm
Back from the DL

Uh-oh. College intramural equivalent!

Twenty minute halves, running time. Stop time in the last minute. Loser buys the beer.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 02:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I like what I'm reading

We also limit TO's to two x 30 seconds per half, per team and a three-minute half-time.

Get em to the line quickly, in and out of the huddles, and on and off the floor.

Keep the game moving.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 02:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Uh-oh. College intramural equivalent!

Twenty minute halves, running time. Stop time in the last minute. Loser buys the beer.
And the refs get free beer no matter what!
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 10:51am
This IS My Social Life

Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
What are some good rule modifications that you've seen used in summer leagues and/or rec leagues?
Only players on the court can request a timeout.
Haven't seen it, but I'd be in favor of it.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 11:00am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
And fouling players need to raise their hand.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 02:24pm
This IS My Social Life

The Way Back Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
And fouling players need to raise their hand.
Unless they are one of the two rovers, the only players of the six who can play in both front- and backcourt.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 03:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Luckily, I don't think the teams will have coaches. This is going to be rather informal, but we're still looking to have at least a little bit of structure.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

All Star Game Modified Rules

I'm working (for a t-shirt) an all star game this weekend. Thought I'd share the "GAME RULES AND POLICIES FOR OFFICALS" [sic] that they distributed yesterday.

I thought #4 was interesting -- it's basically a penalty box. I wish if they were going to do it this way, they'd make them play a man down, like hockey.

The second half of #5 should generate some nice responses here...

Enjoy.

(1) All games shall be two 18 minute halves. Halftimes will be 5-7 minutes long.

(2) Coaches will have five 30 second times out per game.

(3) There will be no half/quarter court zone defenses. Teams may press full court (man or zone) but MUST fall back into a man defense in the half court.

(4) Players will be temporarily disqualified after 5 personal/technical fouls total. If all fouls are personal in ruling, the player will be eligible to return to action after setting out 50% of the time that was left on the clock at the time of their fifth aggregate foul.

If the five aggregate are reached in the first half of a game, the player in ineligible until the 9 minute mark of the second half. Succeeding fouls after that 9 minute re- entry will follow the “50% rule”. All Star Committee will keep track of foul out rule if a player fouls out of the game.

(5) High school rules will be used. Free throws will follow high school rules both shooting and rebounding. Don’t call games super tight but don’t let it get out of hand either. Be a little more lenient on coach’s bench rule.

(6) If a player has a break away with a dunk possibility let them go. Remind kids/coaches about this prior and during games.

(7) Overtime will be as follows: 1st OT 2 minutes, all others will be 1 minute in length.

(8) If you see kids at bench, waiting to get in, and we have a non scoring time stop the clock and get them in. Example: after made basket, walking ball up court, ect. If you see a chance to stop play to get a kid in without interrupting the flow of the game do it.

(9) Have fun and interact time with the kids. Help make this a good experience for all involved.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 09:50am
Archaic Power Monger

Add in the four point shot.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2011, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Most common Men's league rules here:

NFHS with following exceptions:

20 or 25 minute running halves
3 full time outs
1-3 min. half time depending on if you are behind
FTs on the release
3 min OT, no extra TOs, no carry over
1 min for 2nd OT and beyond
No jewelery but can wear shorts with front (side) pockets, no rear pocket for some reason