The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Great officials gesture

Did anyone watch the ending of the OSU-Wisconsin game on Sunday?

With about 1:20 to go, Ohio State had a walk on senior at the table waiting to get into the game. After a Ohio State basket, referee Mike Kitts blows his whistle to kill the play and acts like his shoe is untied and bent over and tied his shoe to get the sub into the game.

What a great gesture to the student athlete and the game of basketball.

The announcers gave Kitts kudos also.

My kudos to Mike Kitts as well!
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 11:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I saw it and it really was a terrific gesture by that official. It didn't affect the game at all but it let that senior get into the game. I wonder why the OSU coach didn't request a TO? Maybe they were out of them? So what - they were far enough ahead that a T wouldn't have made any difference at that point in the game. Besides, he probably had some left.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I'm surprised one of the coach's didn't direct a player to take a foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 12:40pm
We don't rent pigs

I also like the gesture. But why bother with the shoe tying thing?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I worked with an official who used to carry a coin in his pocket and if this situation came up he would blow his whistle and act like he was picking of the coin and then he would show it like he really picked it up.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I think I agree with JAR here. You're fooling no one by trying to be cute and tying your shoe or picking up a coin. Everyone knows why you blew your whistle. If you're going to do this gesture, just go ahead and do it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 12:58pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I think I agree with JAR here. You're fooling no one by trying to be cute and tying your shoe or picking up a coin. Everyone knows why you blew your whistle. If you're going to do this gesture, just go ahead and do it.
+1 And who would possibly object? This is a rare instance where " 'Cause I wanted to and I'm the ref," is ok, in my opinion.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
+1 And who would possibly object? This is a rare instance where " 'Cause I wanted to and I'm the ref," is ok, in my opinion.
And you would be willing to risk a D-1 contract on that???

We all know what he did, and hopefully the supervisor of that conference gives him the proverbial pat on the back...but there is no provision in the rules for simply blowing the whistle to bring a sub in just because the game is a blowout and it makes for a "nice gesture."

If the official did as you suggested, the losing coach would then have ammo to take to the conference office against that official. The way the official handled it, the losing coach may be mad, but there isn't a darn thing he can do about it.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Couldn't a coach go back and look at the tape and point out that the official's shoelaces weren't untied or that the official took out a coin from his pocket and put the coin on the court? You know, if there was a coach that wanted to go that route and complain about this.

Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And you would be willing to risk a D-1 contract on that???
I didn't know my D-1 contract was at stake. I wouldn't risk my D-1 contract on faking tying my shoe, either.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Couldn't a coach go back and look at the tape and point out that the official's shoelaces weren't untied or that the official took out a coin from his pocket and put the coin on the court? You know, if there was a coach that wanted to go that route and complain about this.
And when the losing coach complains, all the official has to do is say "My shoe was loose on my foot - I needed to tie it tighter."

The coin one I would not do...

But simply blowing the whistle to bring the sub on is a good way to get yourself in trouble with a supervison/assignor.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

I never understand why officials worry about what kids play. This is on the coach and they can do all kinds of things to allow the kid to play. I agree it is a nice gesture, but I would not be doing this at all. Why open myself up for something to be scrutinized by unless this was a directive from the conference to do such a thing.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 02:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

All OSU had to do was call a time-out for substitution purposes only. You are not required to used the entire T-O in NCAA ball.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 02:58pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
All OSU had to do was call a time-out for substitution purposes only. You are not required to used the entire T-O in NCAA ball.
NFHS - I don't have my books handy. But, in HS, if one team is ready to go and the other not, don't you need to maintain the TO length. i.e. - you can't shorten a 60 sec TO to 40 secs unless both teams are ready, correct?

So, you're saying it's different in NCAA?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Couldn't a coach go back and look at the tape and point out that the official's shoelaces ....
I have a 52" HD LCD TV and I couldn't see if his shoelaces were untied or not.

Beside, all he has to say is "My shoe laces were loose," not that anyone is going to say anything.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith